Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US civics test / interview for citizenship  (Read 1766 times)

• Liked: 26
US civics test / interview for citizenship
« on: March 08, 2014, 09:15:29 AM »
I read somewhere that I have to bring my passport to the my citizenship interview/test. Is this true? I have a British passport but I will need it for travel in June. My civics test is April.

So by May I should be a full US citizen but there is no way I'm letting go of my British passport. I don't see why the would want to see it at the interview as they will have my green card and state drivers license.

Perhaps it's just for identification?

There is no way they could ask me to discard it is there, I mean technically I'm supposed to follow the oath and give up my British citizenship but if this is even a remote possibility I refuse to take it with me to the interview.

Thanks
LTE received: 21 October 2016
Arrived in U.K.: 25 October 2016
FLR(m) extension: 1 June 2019
ILR 2022

• Liked: 3595
Re: US civics test / interview for citizenship
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:29 AM »
I read somewhere that I have to bring my passport to the my citizenship interview/test. Is this true? I have a British passport but I will need it for travel in June. My civics test is April.

So by May I should be a full US citizen but there is no way I'm letting go of my British passport. I don't see why the would want to see it at the interview as they will have my green card and state drivers license.

Perhaps it's just for identification?

Why don't you check the official document requirement list for naturalisation as a US citizen:
http://www.uscis.gov/citizenship/learners/apply-citizenship
and
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/Citizenship%20&%20Naturalization%20Based%20Resources/A%20Guide%20to%20Naturalization/PDFs/M-477.pdf

I can't see any mention of needing your UK passport for the application. It just says:
- Bring state-issued identification, Permanent Resident Card, and any additional documents specific to your case.

There is no way they could ask me to discard it is there, I mean technically I'm supposed to follow the oath and give up my British citizenship but if this is even a remote possibility I refuse to take it with me to the interview.

No, there is no way they can take it away from you.

Your UK passport belongs to the UK government - they are the only people who can take it away from you.

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
You're not technically meant to give up your British citizenship. The US government is not going to take away your passport.

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 01:26:27 PM »
Its just shown for identification purposes, the US government can't take it away from you.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 07:17:11 PM »
Thanks everyone, I guess the psychology if the occasion is getting to me  ;D

Ksadm24, I found were I read it, it was in the PDF here:
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/article/chapter5.pdf

Section 3 of the Being interviewed page.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

ILR 2022

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 03:23:18 AM »
We'll I should've just waited I got a letter today explaining what they want to see:
Green Card, Government ID, ALL passports I've had issued by any government especially the one I entered the US on, proof of marriage, proof my wife is a US citizen and my tax returns for the last three years.

They also recommend I bring two passport photographs and any originals of anything copied as part of my application.

Seems like I'm applying again in person...ridiculous.
ILR 2022

• Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »
They want to see it so you can show them if you've done any traveling since you turned in your N-400 application. My husband very nearly didn't get naturalized because we forgot to take his UK passport to his Oath Ceremony.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:58:21 PM »
My partner got his citizenship about 18 months ago and I seem to remember that the passport size photo got attached to his official citizenship paper at the ceremony. 

Wait till you get to the interview.  Expect 5 easy questions about about 15 mins of questioning.  You'll wonder what all the fuss was about!

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:24:52 AM »
Well I had this today and passed and yes what was all the fuss about!

What was amazing was the guy looking over my application had me change my qualifying grounds from marriage to lawful resident of 5 + years. He said as a permanent resident of 12 years there is no need for me to apply on spousal grounds and as a result needed none of my documents or evidence. I was done in 10 minutes!

He also warned me to re-schedule the oath ceremony (May 21st) as once I'm sworn in Ill have to use a US passport for my vacation back home in June. Wasn't even thinking about that..

Thanks!
ILR 2022

• Liked: 56
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 07:54:54 AM »
Congrats!  ;D

Reason he gave you is also because you won't have any identifying status documentation other than this really large, very formal certificate you get at the end of your ceremony declaring you are now a US citizen.  I think they take up collection of your green card when you check in for the ceremony.  Ergo, the best thing you can do is get that US passport right after (they will have a booth explaining the benefits and to pick up forms), so you have immediate proof of citizenship, without having to get the giant certificate out.  Just have the forms filled out and ready to be mailed the day or two after, though I seem to remember that the Swede took his certificate to the post office, they said it was ok, and then he didn't have to mail it with the application.

Also, as a citizen, you have to enter the US on a US passport now, but the UK on your British one. Welcome to the fun world of dual passports - nothing like having an extra one to worry about and possibly lose!

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 09:24:14 PM »
Thanks, to elaborate further on the passport travel if I fly to the UK on my UK passport then fly back to the US on my US one - do they not somehow need to communicate with each other, as in doesn't the passport have to show an exit and an enter?
ILR 2022

• Liked: 15
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »
Just a quick note that my dual national (UKC and now USC) husband does this several times a year (UK passport into UK and US passport upon return to the US) with no issue.  I only remember the IO asking once when looking through the passport "do you have another passport"...my husband replied yes & no further questions were asked/he was let through.
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 03:16:31 AM »
I got my official invite to the oath ceremony on the 21st today, I have to mail the invitation back to them with my reason for rescheduling (which actually scares me as I hate messing around with USCIS) but they do not give an address. The only address is on the front of the envelope which is a National Benefits Center at a PO BOX in Missouri - would this be the place to send my letter?

How should I address them! "to whom it may concern"?

I don't want to piss them off and have them make me wait 6 more months to naturalize
ILR 2022

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab