Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Your experiences flying pets back to the US  (Read 2171 times)

• Liked: 0
Your experiences flying pets back to the US
« on: March 19, 2014, 04:09:38 PM »
Well, like my thread title says, I'm interested in hearing any experiences of moving your pets back to the US from the UK. We are living in Edinburgh, and trying to get our 2 cats back to Louisville, KY. However, we are being told by a couple of airlines that they don't fly pets into our destination airport, and we are having to consider flying them into an airport at least a couple of hours away. Also, United has told us they will only fly pets as cargo, and that we have to use a pet agent.

If anyone has done this recently, what kind of challenges did you face, and can you give a rough idea of what you had to pay to fly your pet(s) back? I'm trying to see how far our moving budget can stretch.

Thanks!

Re: Your experiences flying pets back to the US
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 05:30:16 PM »
We flew our dog back to the US this past Sept. It was a last minute desicion but worked out fine for us. We flew Manchester or O'Hare on American ( it was an American plane and crew even though they partner with BA etc. I can't remember the exact price but the dog flew as excess baggage for somewhere around $100 -$150. All we needed was a letter from the vet saying she was OK to fly and her rabis cert. I don't think the airline checked those but the USDA had a very quick glance. We just showed up with her in her kennel to the counter and paid right there.  Then walked with an agent through security to check her kennel then the agent took the kjennel to the plane and we waited for boarding as you usually do. On landing the dog was collected just near the baggage claim by us, we walked her to the little USDA office for the OK then walked out of customs just as you do with your normal luggage.

This was obviously a direct flight so not sure how connections work. We also flew back with the dog about 5 years ago and the process was the same. Hope the helps some

• daveavenue
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »
I flew my dog to the UK (it's been awhile). He had to go cargo - I wanted him in the cabin with me - but the cargo areas are climate and pressure controlled so pets are not exposed to the elements.

The biggest thing to be mindful of when going cargo is that there are strict temperature restrictions in place for both departure and arrival airports. This is not because the cargo hold gets too warm/cold, but is too protect the animals when they are being transported outside to and from the airplane.

Keep the weather in mind!
The economy fell apart. Then we moved to Brighton. Disappointing- yes. Any regrets? No. I am interested in meeting Sussex people and any other souls that have a shared mission of getting to know the rest of the world better. My Blog: daveavenue.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 02:46:05 PM »
Hi, I'm in the same situation. I flew a dog and cat over to Scotland about 5 years ago and had no problem. Now I need to fly the cat back to KY (lawrenceburg) and I can't get anyone to go anywhere near. Chicago and Indianapolis is the nearest they've quoted so far, this is with 4 different companies. I did find a guy who'll pick up and deliver animals in the US. He's based in Lexington but on top of paying an agent to fly the cat over, it'll probably cost an arm and a leg. Sorry, I can't offer any useful info. I know you posted this a while back. What did you do in the end? I'd be really grateful for any advice you have.

Thanks,
Elena

• Liked: 4
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
I need info too! Thanks!

• London Cat Sitting Company
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:46:09 PM »
I can't remember the exact price but the dog flew as excess baggage for somewhere around $100 -$150. All we needed was a letter from the vet saying she was OK to fly and her rabis cert. I don't think the airline checked those but the USDA had a very quick glance.

Wow that's a first, never heard of that before. Good on ya!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab