Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US financial aid for UK resident, US citizen?  (Read 5796 times)

• Liked: 3
US financial aid for UK resident, US citizen?
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:00:51 AM »
I'm trying to find a way to finance my education. I currently hold a BA from an American university and live in the UK with my UK spouse. I hold ILR and will have been in the UK for 3 years in December 2014, at which time I plan to apply for UK citizenship.

I want to become a vet. I am aware that I am eligible for home student fees after I have been here for 3 years, so I'm hoping to go back to school within a few years.

According to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, since I already hold a Bachelors degree, I am not eligible for UK student loans to cover tuition fees (since veterinary degrees are undergraduate degrees here - they won't finance you to get a second Bachelors degree).

So, I was wondering if I can pay home student fees at a UK school and use US federal student aid to pay for it. Does the fact that I am a UK resident, US citizen prevent me from using US student aid?

• Liked: 47
Re: US financial aid for UK resident, US citizen?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 03:56:19 PM »
I'm not sure of the answer, but have a look on the fafsa website and see if you can find anything.   I know you can use US loans in a UK school if you're coming over on a tier 4, but I'm not sure about your situation.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:34:27 PM »
I've looked at the eligibility, and it seems that being a US citizen qualifies you. But I can't find any information stating that you need to have been resident in the US for the last X number of years or anything like that.

Does anyone know if a US citizen residing abroad for 3+ years and applying to a school in their country of residence can still use FAFSA to get loans?

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:22:32 AM »
I'm still searching for the answer (most things that come up in a search refer to US citizens going to school abroad and using FAFSA, but don't mention if this can be done for US citizen expats).

But this article seems to indicate that it is possible:

http://www.taxesforexpats.com/articles/financial-planning/federal-aid-for-expats.html

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »
Does anyone else have experience in this? I can't find any residency requirements so I think I am ok. I'm a dual citizen who has been in Scotland for 7 years.

I'm about to start a 2 year masters degree at an English red brick university. While my former employer is paying the tuition for the first year and I think I can self-fund the remaining year plus 2 years of living expenses (I'm childless and good at saving...), I'm exploring my options.

As I count as a Scottish resident, I don't qualify for the new English masters loans. I also don't think my course qualifies for the Scottish postgrad living expense loans either. Stafford loans may be my cheapest option if I need to borrow.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 03:58:51 PM »
As long as you are a US citizen and meet the usual requirements (not in default on current student loans, etc), you are entitled to apply for US federal loans if the institution you attend is a FAFSA eligible school.

I ended up successfully receiving both UK student loans and US student loans to finance my first year of studies. Just make sure you advocate for yourself. I had to keep explaining to my school that I'm a dual citizen who is eligible for home student fees but that I'm using US loans to pay them. They're used to US students having to pay international student fees. It's perfectly fine.

Enjoy your studies! Good luck!

Sponsored Links