Sponsored Links

Topic: Are you a Paramedic or do you know someone who is?  (Read 856 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • *
  • Posts: 1

  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: Apr 2014
Are you a Paramedic or do you know someone who is?
« on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:11 AM »
I need to know how to become a paramedic here in the UK.
I am currently married to a UK citizen, about to submit my spouse visa.
Im starting from scratch and I am having trouble trying to penetrate this "beast", which is a perfect name for it.
In the US I was able to enroll in my local community college and receive free training for a basic EMT course. Its not the same here, and I dont know where to start.
As far as I know, I should have no immigration restrictions on working in a few months but Im not so sure about my ability to register for school or training or a "direct entry scheme", whatever that is....
I need guidance!! And I need it from someone who is currently within the "beast", working and/or training.
I am living in Wales, which may or may not make a difference.
I have been doing lots of reading and researching that has really just confused me more than clarified anything for me.
Thank you in advance for any tidbits you can pass along to me.
Im now off the library to confuse myself a little more... hehe

  • *
  • Posts: 16584

  • Liked: 4075
  • Joined: Jun 2012
  • Location: Wokingham
Re: Are you a Paramedic or do you know someone who is?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »
No experience, but a quick Google returned this:


The driving license is going to take time to get...  You might want to take an intensive course when you get here to speed the process.  Otherwise it could take many months.

I would contact them and see what they will accept as equivalent to the GCSE's.  We have a lot of members in education on this board who may be able to help more with that requirement.

  • *
  • Posts: 5416

  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: Apr 2007
Re: Are you a Paramedic or do you know someone who is?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:26:38 PM »
Here might be a good place to start:




You need to be HCPC registered, so that's where I'd start, if you haven't already. They may be able to guide you if they identify any gaps in your training to transfer to a UK environment.


Education wise, both / either below may be able to assess whether prior learning may count towards a UK paramedic qualification.

Swansea University


Open University may be your main options re: training:


You would be liable for international fees.


I would also suggest volunteering in a health capacity, with the NHS or a charity while HCPC registration and assessment of qualifications (if needed) are assessed.


Hope that helps!

MLG  :)


Sponsored Links