Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Finding a place to go horseback riding  (Read 1273 times)

• Liked: 0
Finding a place to go horseback riding
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »
Hi all  :)

So I've been living here for 7 years now, and I am SO frustrated with finding a place go just take lessons. Previously, in the US, I had owned a horse and rode dressage.

I live in London, and wouldn't mind taking a train further out occasionally, just to find somewhere decent. I've tried places in London, and I can honestly say that I HATE them. I just find them really fussy and for posh people, full of kids in pony clubs, or competition focused. I'm used to working with a trainer one on one, grooming and saddling the horse myself, and riding the same horse each week - in a nice relaxed atmosphere. Here, for example Trent Park, has a ridiculous amount of horses and random trainers, the horses are groomed for you (which feels super impersonal to me), and you're in a massive arena with kids flying all around the place.

There must be something else out there??? I'm just used to a much more relaxed setting, and I haven't found anything yet.

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: Finding a place to go horseback riding
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:20 AM »
I'm up North, so of little help with specifics, but you might think about finding the least fussy of your options and see if they have a part-loan programme. That lets you ride the same horse and gives you the responsibility of tacking up and etc. They just have a different way of doing it here, but I've found that once they get to know you, most places are happy to have you tack up and help out a bit more. It's just a question of them knowing you'll be alright and the horse taken care of!
I own my own horse now, but I also had good luck being a catch rider at yards, once people got to know me. So I'd get to use their horses for lessons or hacks or whatever.
You could also look around for a private dressage yard that *might* have some school masters, but there tends to be a divide between the pro-riders (who generally teach others who own their own horses and not a lesson programme) and those who run lesson programmes.

Re: Finding a place to go horseback riding
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:06:24 PM »
Hey I'm at a private dressage yard in Matching Essex. The guy I'm with will give you coaching on a one on one situation. He is an extremely well known rider in the UK. I know he would be happy to teach you. My horse is there and you are welcome to work on her. You can do all the grooming and tacking up you like lol. I'm not riding at a the moment do to having a baby then medical problems so she's there continuing her schooling. Inbox me if you are interested in more info. As far as other yards, that is unfortunately what you will find for the most part. I've moved my horse a few times now because back home I owned a boarding facility and riding school (Eventing) and pheeew I ran it quite differently to here. I can't get my head around it here. Anyhoo, inbox me if you would like some help!

Sponsored Links