Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Job search from UK/small kids/how is it done...?  (Read 1386 times)

• Liked: 0
Job search from UK/small kids/how is it done...?
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
Just curious about other families out there in a similar situation to ours now or in past. Husband got his CR1 visa through DCF a few months back and since then we've been job searching...with no luck thus far. On one hand, I appreciate the challenge of findng a job in a country you're not physically present in. On the other, it seems kind of insane for him to leave a good job and for us to move with our 2 small kids, especially given the health insurance question in the US. my husband's the main earner and my salary is nowhere near enough to support all 4 of us.

How do people do this?

• Liked: 4
Re: Job search from UK/small kids/how is it done...?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 03:25:33 PM »
I think a lot of people transfer over to their company's US branch.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:13:37 PM »
Take a leap of faith?? My husband's contract was ending, so we were fortunate not to have to make the decision to leave good jobs. This meant we moved to the US without jobs, although I had some potential leads from previous employers. Fortunately, we had decent savings so we knew we had a bit of a cushion. I was able to get a job within 3 months. My husband (the non-citizen) found one in about 10 months. He had no luck finding anything in the US while we were still in Ireland. Once here he used a professional resume writer to Americanize his CV. We were able to write off the services on our taxes that year.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 11:22:42 PM »
Hey CharmCityGirl, I'm from Baltimore too  :)
Can I ask, when you moved did you have children (school aged or toddler) or just you and your husband?

vtcarter6 makes the interesting point about healthcare.  I'd be more comfortable moving from US to UK with no job due to the support of the NHS and no requirement to buy health insurance - not so sure the other way around at especially with children.
You hear the horror stories of medical bankruptcy so even with a good financial cushion it's a scary proposition.

We've considered a move over to Maryland but not having a firm job commitment makes it difficult.
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:09:07 AM »
I was thinking the same as you for a few years, and now we're just 'taking the leap of faith' and doing it!  We just applied for the Green Card, my kids (ages 7 and 4) and I are going in two weeks, we'll wait for Daddy to come over in a few months.  I realised my choices were either stay here the rest of my life or take the chance and just go, and hope and pray dh finds a job quickly!!!  And I do not want to stay here the rest of my life.

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 11:19:01 AM »
Ives you are braver than I am!  I hope a job comes quickly.  Will you buy health insurance until a job can be found?  I guess it could be subsidized through obamacare at least?  It seems policies when I looked were at least $500-600/month going well over $1000/month for top notch. Maybe paying for a couple of months is ok but it's a bit of a risk if the job doesn't come through.
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 10:54:17 AM »
While my husband is still in the UK working, the kids will have Child Health Plus for cheap. I'll probably have no insurance.  It would be $200 or $300 for me to pay for insurance.  When he quits his job and joins us in the UK, I don't know if the kids and I can have Medicaid because we'll have some money from the sale of our flat, still need to find that out. Dh can't get Medicaid as a Green Card holder.  Otherwise we'll keep paying for the kids Child Health Plus, and just wait till he gets a job to pay for insurance!  It is subsidized amazingly, but only if you earn at least $23,500 (I think that was the figure).   Even though $23,000 is like half the poverty level it still seems hard to earn if you are having trouble finding a permenant job with a good salary.

Sponsored Links