Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you think about relocating to another country?  (Read 1689 times)

• Liked: 0
Do you think about relocating to another country?
« on: November 01, 2004, 04:17:45 PM »
I love living in the UK, don't get me wrong.  NEVER, ever, ever want to live in the US again.  Never!

But I'm eyeing a few other countries as possibilites for us to relocate next year.  We need a less expensive spot and fancy another language, some specific cultural changes, personal reasons.

Wondering if anyone else is looking to relocate.  I love those relocation programs on tv.

• Liked: 1
Re: Do you think about relocating to another country?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:19:16 PM »
i'd kill to live in Italy.  KILL.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 04:20:44 PM »
 :D

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 04:21:49 PM »
Canada.

Czech Republic, if I can ever get off my a$$ and actually use my "Learn Czech" CD... ::)
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 04:23:08 PM »
i wish i had the guts to actually do it, but i don't.  maybe later on in life.

but i won't end up on one of those disaster shows where the people don't do their due dilligence in buying!

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 04:25:25 PM »
I hear ya, muse - I don't have any desire to live in the US again, though Jamie wouldn't mind (although after discussing the visas, etc. involved for him he's considerably less keen....) We've talked about Italy, Ireland and New Zealand, though I don't really see any of those happening until we retire. Canada would be an acceptable alternative to the US.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 04:34:25 PM »
I love living in the UK, don't get me wrong.  NEVER, ever, ever want to live in the US again.  Never!

What's so bad about living in the US?  :-\\\\
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 05:16:01 PM »

What's so bad about living in the US?  :-\\\\

I ask myself that whenever I hear/see anyone say they don't want to go back to the US.  And I'm seriously asking...what's wrong with it?  Maybe it's a regional thing, but I'd go back in a heartbeat (minus the visa crap for DH and the expense!...and of course I'd miss things about England)...so why don't some of you want to go back?

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 05:17:45 PM »
i know i'll be ready to move back after our stint here.  :)

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 05:31:26 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with the US, per se. It just doesn't suit me and never really has. I always felt mis-placed from the time I was old enough to know there was more out there than where I lived.... I've always prefered the music, the sport... the culture in general really.... Rarely does a day go by that I don't thank my lucky stars that I'm here - I have way more "perfect moments" (as Spaulding Grey would have said) than I ever did there. And the political climate REALLY doesn't suit me over there at all at the moment - I can't fathom being there if W. wins again.

I think it's just a personal thing - I fit in better here.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 05:32:50 PM »
I'm not going back to live, ever.  Just my personal feelings.  I spent 30+ years not wanting to be there.  Can't see that changing, especially after finding where I do want to be.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 05:39:41 PM »
If there weren't professional and personal reasons keeping me in the UK, I'd move to Germany in an instant. It stands to me as the most ideal EU society, and the quality of life is literally about 3 or 4 times higher than here (for starters, real estate is much cheaper). I'm seriously thinking of retiring in Berlin, which is the most NYC-like city in Europe.

I can't see returning to the US for many years at this point. The place seems like it's about to explode due to recent years of mismanagement.

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 04:36:09 PM »
Lightbulb-- I used to live in Germany and I have to admit that I didn't find it ideal at all.  unemployment is very high and I have never witnessed so much racism in all of my life as I did in Germany.  There is so much tension between the east and west.  When I lived there it was terrible and my friends say it is still bad.

I think that every country has its ups and downs.  Like some of you, I don't think that I would go back to the states.  I am a public health campaigner by profession and I just don't think I could cope with the American health system.  Also I would never find a job near my family (rural Iowa) so if I am going to be a plane ride away, I'd rather be somewhere nice...

We have talked about Scotland (we live in London now), Ireland or South Africa.
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 07:18:33 PM »
My partner and I are relocating from the UK to Australia early next year, for a variety of reasons (but mainly because we both crave change).  Moving back to the US isn't an option for us (both because I don't want to and because legally it's pretty much impossible, as we are not married).  It's a bit of a strange thing, because I feel like I am finally getting to grips with life in the UK, only to move and have to readjust to a new country, but at the same time, I'm very excited!

• Burlesque Dancing Yogini
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 07:24:46 PM »
If we stay in America, we will be moving to San Francisco.

If we move to Europe, we'll either live in London for a few years or go to southern France or Italy.
Lived in Cheltenham, England> 2003-2004
Lived in London, England> August 2005- April 2009
Back home in Brooklyn, NY since April 2009

Sponsored Links