Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you think about relocating to another country?  (Read 1688 times)

• Hiya
  • Liked: 1
Re: Do you think about relocating to another country?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 12:01:59 AM »
Erm... I would rethink the idea that Germany is the most ideal EU society.  Have spent time there as a student twice, and let's just say it's far from perfect...  Berlin certainly isn't cheap either!  Plus quality of life is much lower than what you'll be used to if you're living in the former East.  Not to mention the anti-Americanism that stems from the old West/East Germany years.  You'll mostly be welcomed in the West but those in the East still have a strong dislike of America, except for the younger generations.  Lots of open racism as well....it's a great country just not *perfect* but then again what country is? 

"I shall love you until death do us part and then we shall be together for ever and ever." Dylan Thomas

"I am still learning."  Michelangelo

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 03:52:18 AM »
I've lived in Germany on three separate occassions, over a span of nearly 15 years in both the East and the West (though not in the East when it was the DDR), and half of my friends are Ossis. It's true that there is racism in Germany, but, in my opinion, England is unquestionably more racist. Despite its problems, and homogeneity, Germany still stands as remarkably compelling. Like all cities, Berlin might be expensive if you're there for a short period of time, but statistically, it has a much lower cost of living than any other EU capital. Housing is still easily available and food is less expensive (and much better value as well).

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 08:51:24 AM »
I can understand the allure of Germany (loved it when I was stationed there).  I don't know if I'd ever be happy in the US again (well I'd be happy...but, argh, it's hard to explain.   :-\\\\)

I dream of moving to Canada one day.  Absolutely dream of it.  David doesn't want to go there...but I hope he'll change his mind one day.
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 09:47:39 AM »
I have been to Accra, Ghana twice for work and love it, would move there in an instant. It's beautful there, gorgeous beaches, hot and sunny all year round, lovely people, very friendly, everything is so cheap (although that's relative ... incomes being low) and a laid back pace of life.  I can dream, right?

• Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 03:49:06 PM »
I'd move like a shot to France, without a doubt. Love the people, the way of life, the food, the climate...everything!

Would never live back in the USA. The Bay Area where I was from is like a stranger to me as it has changed so dramatically since I left. It doesn't even look the same...And on today of all days, I would not be happy living in a country amongst people who could vote for monkey face again for 4 years...sorry, but the "let's harken back to life in the 50's" approach and live like "Leave it to Beaver" is frightening to me.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab