Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Chicago as a decent place to move?  (Read 1048 times)

• On a stroppy little island of mixed up people...
    • City of Villages Blog
  • Liked: 1
Chicago as a decent place to move?
« on: May 27, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »
Not sure if this is the right section for this question, but the DH (British) and I (US, soon to be dual) are considering moving to the US for a year or three as a little adventure. We both require a very large city, and I need a place with four seasons, so we're looking at Chicago (the city proper, not the suburbs) as a good option. Does anyone have any info/tips/good or bad things to keep in mind? We're childfree (and intend to stay that way), like to be near areas with a lot of culture/independent shops/things to do, and if possible, near a park (you know, the basics).
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

• Liked: 4
Re: Chicago as a decent place to move?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:06:26 AM »
Chicago is an awesome city. I'm biased because I'm born and raised there, but I've spoken with many who are not from there that also love it.  It's got the best of a big city like New York (culture, public transit, sports, airports) with a much more reasonable cost of living. You have to love cold weather, though, or at least be able to tolerate it.

The most 'hip' parts of the city are Wicker Park, Bucktown, and basically the North side, as well as the South Loop.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:27:26 AM »
I 'lived' there for 2 1/2 months, years ago, with a then fiance's job. I completely and totally fell in love with the city. Hubby and I have been there a few times since, and I always feel the same sense of excitement being there.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• City of Villages Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:39:17 AM »
Winter's my favourite season, so no worries there!
It is difficult to speak adequately, or justly, of London. It is not a pleasant place; it is not agreeable, or easy, or exempt from reproach. It is only magnificent... the biggest aggregation of human life, the most complete compendium in the world.
-Henry James

• Liked: 56
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »
We lived there, out in the NW 'burbs, for about 9 months, but I am from north of Milwaukee originally, so its always felt a bit like "home".

Its a fantastic city with a great skyline, good green spaces, the LAKE obviously, always something going on, and its easily escapable on the weekends, or even for a day out.  If you are childfree (like us) and don't have to worry about school systems, then you have a bit more latitude on neighborhoods, but really, anything on the north side will do, although I have heard near south side neighborhoods are up and coming.  You may want to check out Evanston where there is a lovely little town center, has a great village feel, access to lake beaches, educated folk, great architecture, and El connections to center of the city.  The city feel runs that far up along the lake, but without feeling like you are right in the middle (if you want more leafy green).

River North, spendy but trendy, and Lincoln Park areas too you could check out.  Not sure your ages, but parts of the latter tends to concentrate new grads in certain areas.

Downsides:  the traffic and the fact that a large portion of corporate jobs are in the 'burbs in every direction.  AS much as we loved the city and wanted to live there, my job was in the suburbs and I didn't want to spend 1-1.5 hours each day, each way in serious bumper to bumper traffic out to Schaumburg.  There is no such thing as a reverse commute in Chicago.  The regional Metra trains are handy, but they only get you part way and then you need a car on the other end.  Downtown also is absolutely dead at night, with places to eat/drink almost non-existant.  Choosing your area is key because that is where you will do most of your socializing and living. 

• City of Villages Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 09:11:23 PM »
We're both 30, and looking to possibly buy an apartment/loft. I'm interested in non-profit/cultural/heritage jobs and my husband is interested in restaurant/ brewery jobs, so corporate life in the suburbs is definitely not for us! We're trying to avoid having a car if possible (which is why Chicago appealed to us, the public transportation). It's  also very important to me that we live in an area that is multicultural.
-Henry James

Sponsored Links