Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage certificate last name  (Read 2348 times)

• Liked: 0
Marriage certificate last name
« on: June 09, 2014, 12:03:19 AM »
Hi,

Not sure if anyone knows, but on the online application for a marriage license, it asks if I plan to change my surname. I don't want to change my last name in the states, but I do plan to use my fiance's last name in the UK so it's easier for applying down the line for the other visas etc. So my question is should we officially have my last name or his last name on the marriage certificate or it doesn't really matter?  :-\\\\

• Liked: 4985
Re: Marriage certificate last name
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 07:49:16 AM »
Say yes.  In order to have your visa(s) in your fiancĂ©'s name you will need to change it on your US passport.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 02:18:41 PM »
Ohh so until my passport expires, all the visas will always be under my last name since I don't plan to change my passport till then. So does it really matter what last name I use in the UK for bills etc..I just want to make it easier on both of us when I apply for IRL etc down the line. I did say yes though just in case. Thanks!

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »
No, you can just use your married name for everything except your passport and visa. No need to do anything official, just start using the new name when you get to the UK.

If you need to provide ID for anything, then you can show your marriage certificate along with your passport to show evidence of and the reason for the name change.

You just have to make sure you book any travel in your maiden name as it has to be booked in the name on your passport.

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »
Got it, thank you :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab