Sponsored Links

Topic: Mobile phone  (Read 696 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • *
  • Posts: 4

  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: Jul 2014
Mobile phone
« on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
Hey all,

So I'm planning on studying in the UK next year,  and I'm wondering what I should do about my cell phone. I have a prepaid phone and so I'm open to starting an actual contract. But what carriers work both in the US and the UK? Would I have to buy the phone and take care of everything in the UK, or could I start it in the US? Thanks!

  • *
  • Posts: 688

  • Liked: 37
  • Joined: Mar 2013
  • Location: Cardiff, UK
Re: Mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »
If you have a phone with someone other than Verizon and it's unlocked, you should be able to just switch to a SIM card only plan with one of the UK carriers.   If you have a smartphone, you can always still use a US phone just on wifi in the UK to make calls and send messages via apps like Skype, iMessage, FaceTime, whatsapp, viber, etc. if your US phone is verizon or it isn't unlocked, then you'll probably have to buy a phone over there and get set up. Depending on how long you're staying, you may find it more cost effective to but a phone outright over there and use a pay as you go service rather than a contract. If you want to nose around and find out about UK carriers, the main ones are Vodafone, o2, everything everywhere (EE), 3 mobile, and tmobile. Someone else may have more advice for you too. But that's a start.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

Sponsored Links