Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: thinking about moving  (Read 911 times)

• Liked: 0
thinking about moving
« on: November 02, 2004, 11:53:27 PM »
HI! 

Well, I'm going to be turning 18 at the beginning of Feb. and was thinking about moving to the UK.  Does anybody have some advice for me?  Yeah, I'm really serious about the move too.

also, i plan on studying in the UK too.  I plan on becomming  a pharmacist.  is this a needed job in the UK?  Like, are they in demand?

Thank you!

<3 Shaun.

• Liked: 12
Re: thinking about moving
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 12:25:52 AM »
Hi Shaun!  :) I think if you're planning to study in the UK, that would probably be the best way to get over here if you're dead serious about moving here. You would obviously have to find a British university that offers your intended major, and apply as an international student via UCAS.

To be honest though, American high school really isn't enough preparation for heading straight into a British university. The educational systems are very different and the students around you might be a little older and more advanced in the field of study than you are because they'd probably actually started studying it in college before they got there. (You actually start focusing on your major in the very first year of uni, and that can be intense if you're straight out of high school. Plus, if for whatever reason you want to change majors, it's a huge hassle.)

I'm not saying it's totally impossible to go right into a British uni, but it can be especially challenging because on top of all the coursework, you also have the stresses of adjusting to a whole new country alone, which takes up a severe amount of energy.

I really would recommend a year abroad or something along those lines first, because you can't be sure until you're already here that studying and living in the UK is what you really want. It's a huge commitment. But if moving to the UK really is your dream, by all means go for it.  ;D
Plans on hold 'cuz Brexit

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 03:29:05 AM »
Thankyou for the reply! 

Haha well...is there something similar to Junior College in the UK?   ;D

It's always been my dream to move to the UK.  My idol's are from here.   And I've always thought it would be wonderful to live in the same place as did Morrissey and Ian Curtis...

So anyways, I've got a minor criminal record, if one could call it that.  Nothing serious.  I got in a fight  and the guy pressed charged, but I only had to go to an anger management class (currently, I am on informal probation).   Also, I've got Schizoaffective Disorder.  Could this possibly keep me out of the UK???

Thank you,

<3 Shaun.

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 05:49:14 AM »
I'm fairly certain that convicted felons from other countries can't move to the U.S. (without a special/compelling reason for the government to allow it), but I'm not sure how it works here. It probably depends on the seriousness of the charge--whether you were convicted for a misdemeanor (such as public disorder, or something along that line), or a felony (in your case, such as "aggravated assault" or "assault with intent to kill," etc.?).

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 02:11:10 AM »
Nah, it wasn't a felony.  It was a misdemeanor (and i was theone who got the beating!!!) 

I don't know though.  The thought of leaving America somewhat thrills me..and at the same time, terrifies me!

So could one with a severe mental illness immigrate to the UK?

<3 Shaun.

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 02:19:54 AM »
totally unrelated, but can I just say I love your member name Fleurs.. I used to use "Fleur" all the time as an e-mail addy years ago
« Last Edit: November 04, 2004, 05:30:22 AM by Terinth »

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 11:26:12 PM »
Hahaha thankyou!

I love flowers.  And I speak french almost fluently.  So i figured that it would be logical , you know :)

Et vous?  Est-ce que vous parlez francais aussi?

<3 Shaun.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2004, 06:29:55 AM »
Fluer-
Though I am not sure of the legalities of moving to the UK with a severe mental illness, I do know that it is strongly discouraged and can be one of the reasons an application can be rejected---it can also be impractical.  My mother in law has severe schizophrenia and has to be institutionalised in her native South Africa. We have talked for years about bringing her over here to live near us, where there are better community based services and where she has family.  In our enquiries, a number of problems arose. While mental illness is not reason for exclusion from the visa process, it does carry a lot of stigma and immigration officials can see it as a reason to refuse entry.  Also, due to new NHS regulations, free treatment is only available to people who have been in the uK for over three months.  This was very problematic in her case as she has to have expensive depot injections and blood tests twice a month.  we had to decide to wait untl we had a stronger case (ie more money to support her).

On your other question about pharmacists, yes they are in desperate need over here!!!
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 03:55:52 AM »
i see.

i dont know. my illness isn't that bad.  i dont' suffer from delusions  (the doctors tell me that).  just hallucinations once in a while.  and like....depression, i guess.  but yeah.  nothing too serious.  (although in some cases schizoaffective disorder can be rather severe, mine isn't very severe).

<3 Shaun.

Sponsored Links