Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: wedding dresses and misc  (Read 4041 times)

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • Liked: 0
wedding dresses and misc
« on: August 03, 2014, 04:38:20 AM »
Hi everyone

My fiance' and I decided to get married in the UK-I know this is looked down on, on a visitor visa but due to the fact by Nana has mouth cancer and already is having issues with treatment (she started early last week) I don't think holding off & attempting to plan a US wedding is in the cards-We went back and fourth on this for a few weeks now. But we made the appointment with the registry office for this week-They claim in their diary they don't have any open dates till end of sept. but I'm going to beg and plead and see where it gets me. We're going ring shopping Monday, But anyways
I went to a Bridal shop yesterday and got the dirtiest look when I walked in. The girl refused to measure me (I have no idea what size I'd be) but they looked at me she told me a 20-22. DO these dresses really run that small? I wear a size 16-18 t-shirt here. When I asked if there were any dresses for me to try on, she told me that they don't carry my size and it could be a 6-9 months wait to get any dress in my size. She called another store and said they didn't have any sample dresses either. I was pretty shocked. I understand that the UK doesn't cater to bigger girls but really? She was rude as sh*t to me like no other.

Thankfully I posted on a FB group and a girl is helping me out to find a dress, but if it came to worse I did find a Maxi dress at Debenhems online in Silver. Only thing is I'm 5'4 :/ It's a size 20, so when we visit Bath to go to the ring shop I'm going to pop in and try on a dress in a size 20 and see how it fits. And then hopefully Tuesday see some dresses this lovely girl has available. And well hopefully go from there.

I never realized how hard planning a wedding is here. I wish I had more time to be able to enjoy it but with My Nana's health-and my fiance' as well.
My fiance's emotional state would not be able to handle two visa applications in the span of 6 months (fiance' and the other one) and this was on the advice of 2 of his doctors, since he had a recent hospital visit.

I'm still trying to find a photographer. I know No one out here that would do it cheap-My fiance's brother is a bit of a prick and even though my future mother in law always has the top of the line point and shoot cameras (she gets a new one every year) I know his brother would some how screw it up. Any ideas on how to go bout finding a photographer for under 200 quid? I really just want some locally tasteful done pictures so I can have one canvased.

Sorry I'm rambling. it's half past 4 and I'm wide awake with worry and freaking out with family problems and such. My family has virtually disowned me-my nana and my dog are about all I care about in the states. So I'm essentially alone out here aside from my fiance' and his parents. If we get married here and I leave the UK Nov. 3rd-Apply for the spousal visa in Feb after tax time, (I hopefully will be moving in with my Nana or best friend soon as I arrive back in the states) I hope to be back here before spring/Summer :)

Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

• Liked: 6
Re: wedding dresses and misc
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 12:26:27 PM »
You can't marry on a visit visa.

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:33:11 PM »
You can't marry on a visit visa.

Actually, you can. There is nothing legally preventing someone from marrying as a visitor if it's a spontaneous decision made after they arrived.

As long as at the time of entering the UK as a visitor, you did not intend to marry, and the registry office or church is willing to marry you, it is not a problem. Several people here on UK-Y have done this and been issued spousal visas with no problems at all.

• Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
Can you marry in the UK as a visitor without the Marriage Visit Visa?  If so, congratulations, and I'm sure all these stresses will work themselves out.  

But just remember you will have to go back to the US when you apply for a spousal visa, and ensure that you meet all the requirements.

I did see bridal dresses on sale at Monsoon a week or two ago-- Maybe check there, too.  As for a photographer for < £200-- maybe try Gumtree, or check with Photography students at a local university.  Wedding photography can cost a small fortune if you want a professional-- but if you don't mind someone just starting out, there are likely deals to be had!

2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Amor Vincit Omnia
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:50:07 PM »
My original intention was to bring my fiance' to the US to get married, I even told the IO that when I came into the country. We chose to get married here recently due to my Nana's failing health and my fiance's mental health state. If 2 professionals are saying he cannot handle the stress of 2 applications (We're exempt due to DLA/ESA/ect) At least if we marry now. then we can apply for the spousal visa after I leave (my return ticket is for Nov. 3rd-I gave myself a 8 day lee-way before my visa runs out) I have ZERO intention of screwing up any chance of having a life UK. Most Uni's are out for the summer as far as I know. My fiance' is gonna see if any of his family/cousins are photographers and maybe a close family friend can make the cake. The photographer & dress are my 2 biggest worries. This stuff is seriously so stressful.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:58:51 PM »
I've heard there is a David's Bridal in London (or on the outskirts somewhere).  There is also an outlet for bridal gowns in the London area as well.  Both would be "leave with the dress" and not an order.  Sorry you had such a crap experience, I think that was a one-off.  There are plenty of larger women in the UK.  They make dresses in all sizes.

I shall try to find links to the stores I mentioned.  Could you do a day trip to London?

Here they are:

http://www.davidsbridal.co.uk/Browse_Store-Locations

http://weddingdress-factoryoutlet.co.uk/locations/london.php

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:00:45 PM by KFdancer »

• Liked: 47
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:15:06 AM »
There is a plus sized blogger based In London called fullerfigurefullerbust who recently posted about wedding dress shopping. You might find some shop suggestions there. She is anywhere from UK 22 to UK 16.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 11:09:30 AM »
Wow, that's pretty awful that the person in the shop was so frickin rude!!!!
Well, screw her, being treated like that, well you wouldn't want to buy from there anyways!!!

I have no advise at all, but I do hope that it all works out OK for you. 

Hang in there!

I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 7
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
Most Uni's are out for the summer as far as I know. My fiance' is gonna see if any of his family/cousins are photographers and maybe a close family friend can make the cake. The photographer & dress are my 2 biggest worries.

Had a look on Gumtree in Bristol.  This could maybe be what you're looking for? Posted 2 days ago: Packages From £150 - Professional Wedding &amp; Event Photographer. Experienced &amp; Affordable

From the main website, when I typed "Photographer", I got 44 hits.  If you can't find anyone from within your own network, this could be a solution?   Try getting in touch with some from gumtree, and ask to see their portfolio to make sure they're legit.  I do recommend asking all the standard questions, and perhaps even posting an ad of your own with your needs/requirements/dates, to see who responds.

Please do let us know how you get on.  You definitely deserve to feel fabulous on your special day!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Amor Vincit Omnia
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 06:41:30 PM »
I may have found a dress * fingers crossed* but thank you for the photographer add! I'm definitely contacting him asap. 150 would be perfect and to have it within the 2wks even better. Thank you so much :)

Sponsored Links