Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Spousal Visa Application Details  (Read 3023 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: Spousal Visa Application Details
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 04:15:00 PM »
How strange! It was certainly there briefly... or at least I was able to see it! I had even quoted him!

...Forum ghost!! [smiley=laugh4.gif]

Ah, yes - sorry, I didn't see that you had quoted it above!

Reading it again, I do remember seeing his response before... no idea what happened to it though!

Usually, a post will only disappear if you decide to delete it yourself within a certain amount of time after posting, or if a moderator deletes for a particular reason.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »
Usually, a post will only disappear if you decide to delete it yourself within a certain amount of time after posting, or if a moderator deletes for a particular reason.

Yeah, I didn't think his silly comment would have warranted a moderator delete! Oh well.
• Married a Brit on the 21st of June 2014
• Applied for Spousal Visa (Priority)
• Applied Online: 21 August
• Biometrics Appointment: 25 August
• Application Sent via FedEx Priority: 27 August
• Application Delivered to UKVI in Sheffield: 29 August
• Application Received & Processing Email: 9 September
• Request for Courier Account # Email: 9 September
• Decision Made Email w/ Return Tracking #: 25 September
• Visa Received via FedEx Priority: 26 September
• Moved to Essex, England: 6 October, 2014

• Liked: 18
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 11:12:16 PM »
LOL - I definitely saw it and almost commented too, because I thought it was both very cute and quite funny!  [smiley=laugh4.gif]

...which is much appreciated during all this stress.  [smiley=dizzy2.gif] 
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 01:07:06 AM »
Sooo... I'm sitting here filling out my visa application on the Visa4UK website. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but what about this question:

Have you been issued any visa for the UK, UK Overseas Territories or Commonwealth Country in the last 10 years? 

Would a visitor's visa (i.e. one of the stamps in my passport) count? Or are they just interested in official applied-for-and-issued visas?

• Liked: 6
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 01:17:09 AM »
Sooo... I'm sitting here filling out my visa application on the Visa4UK website. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but what about this question:

Would a visitor's visa (i.e. one of the stamps in my passport) count? Or are they just interested in official applied-for-and-issued visas?

They are referring to visas that you applied for in advance of entering the UK not stamps that you received at the border.

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 01:46:04 AM »
They are referring to visas that you applied for in advance of entering the UK not stamps that you received at the border.

Thanks a bunch! :D

• Liked: 0
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 04:24:10 AM »
Hi Everybody!

I am new to UKY and was hoping to get some insight from you brilliant people. We seem to be in a special situation. I am an American and my wife is a dual citizen US/UK, but has never lived in the UK. We both currently live together in Chicago, she is going to London this week to look for a job.
If she gets a job offer making £18,600 she will fly back to the US to submit the application.
We can prove that she made £18,600 in the previous 12 months of the application at her job here in Chicago.

I have a couple questions:  ???
Does she need to have a National Insurance Number to apply for the spouse visa?
Will there be an visa interview?
When do you get biometrics?

Based on the information I've already found in this forum, I've created a list. Would anyone be able to tell me if there is anything else I should include.

Wife will create a cover letter stating:
- type of visa applied for
- list of documents included

My Info (US Citizen)
   •   receipt for priority service
   •   stamped biometrics
   •   2 UK size passport photos
   •   current passport (have no previous passports)
   •   resumé/CV
   •   prepaid UPS Express packaging for return service
   •   flight itinerary of intended travel date (kayak printout of prospective travel)

Wife's Info (UK/US Citizen)
   •   passport (certified copy)
   •   letter of sponsorship (is this a SU07?)
   •   last 12 months pay slips (to show she's made £18,600 as job in last 12 months)
   •   last 6 months bank statements (some accounts are in both our names)
   •   work contract/offer letter
   •   Appendix 2 (VAF 4A) form

Marriage/Relationship Evidence
   •   marriage certificate
   •   wedding photos
   •   a few photos of us together

Intended Residence
   •   letter signed by my wife's aunt/uncle saying we can stay with them (where we intend to stay until we find our own place)
   •   Land Registry document (aunt/uncle own the house)

Any help would be very much appreciated! I don't have to tell you guys how confusing the UKBA website is!  ;D

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 07:09:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum :).

We seem to be in a special situation. I am an American and my wife is a dual citizen US/UK, but has never lived in the UK. We both currently live together in Chicago, she is going to London this week to look for a job.
As far as I can tell, you're not in a special situation at all - your situation is very common and doesn't seem any different from anyone else's here :).

I have a couple questions:  ???
Does she need to have a National Insurance Number to apply for the spouse visa?
Will there be an visa interview?
When do you get biometrics?
1. No, I don't believe she needs an NI number for the visa. The application form may ask for it, but she can just put something like 'N/A' or 'sponsor has never lived in the UK'

2. No, there won't be a visa interview. Everything is done by post/email (you will be in Chicago, while they will have your documents and processing the visa in Sheffield, UK)

3. You do biometrics after submitting the online visa application (and paying for it), but before mailing your documents to Sheffield for processing. When you apply online, you will be prompted to make a biometrics appointment at a local USCIS center in Chicago (or wherever you choose to go for it). You will need to get the documents to Sheffield within 14 days of the biometrics and no more than 30 days from applying online. The date you apply online and pay for the visa will be your official application date

Wife will create a cover letter stating:
- type of visa applied for
- list of documents included

This is not quite right. It's the US citizen who writes a basic (optional) cover letter stating what visa is being applied for, a list of documents and any explanation regarding the documents.

The UK citizen must instead write a mandatory 'Letter of Confirmation/Support' for the visa, which includes:
- her ability to sponsor a visa (her UK citizenship)
- her employment status and how she meets the financial requirement
- where you will live in the UK
- a short (brief) history of your relationship
- a list of the documents she is including in support of your application

A sample Letter of Confirmation can be found here:
http://www.londonelegance.com/transpondia/sites/default/files/spousal.pdf

In regards to the rest of your documents, they look pretty good overall, but just a couple of things:

My Info (US Citizen)
   •   resumé/CV
   •   prepaid UPS Express packaging for return service

- Take out your CV/resume. It will not be considered for the visa (they are not allowed to consider it) and so is unnecessary.

- You won't be able to include 'prepaid' packaging for return of your visa because there will be no way of knowing what weight it will be, when it will be shipped or how much it will cost yet. Instead, you need to register an online account with either FedEx or UPS (most people here use FedEx) and then set up an international waybill for return of documents, which your account will be billed for when it is used.

Wife's Info (UK/US Citizen)
   •   letter of sponsorship (is this a SU07?)

No, the SU07 is not required for a spousal visa (it's only for 'special case' visas such as elderly dependant relatives or adult dependant relatives).

The letter of sponsorship is what I mentioned above (you write the cover letter, she writes the sponsorship letter)

Marriage/Relationship Evidence
   •   wedding photos
   •   a few photos of us together

- Only include 1-2 photos in total. Maybe one from your wedding and one of you together at another time.

- You might also want to include evidence that you have been living together in the US... such as a couple of utility bills, a tax return, or a rental agreement/mortgage etc. Normally, if you hadn't been living together you would need to prove regular contact while living apart (i.e. if she was in the UK and you were in the US).

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 05:17:54 AM »
Hello, panekroom... welcome to the forum. I've requested a moderator to create a new thread from your reply. I think it'll be less confusing to keep our situations/questions seperate.

In other news... FINALLY received hubby's documents today! With everything accounted for and organized, I've finished my application on the Visa4UK site, signed and paid for everything (including priority through VFS Global). Scheduled my biometrics appointment for Monday morning, as that was the first available date. So glad to get everything rolling! ;D

• Liked: 134
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 02:24:17 PM »
jaidedwings, I shall be watching your progress with baited breath because we are pretty much on the exact same timeline.  I got the Husband's documents last Friday, did the online application Monday, paid for priority last night, have biometrics today (Thursday) and am planning to send it all off tomorrow.
And we also got married the same weekend in June as you (except in 2013).
Did I mention that I'm moving to Essex?

Good luck!  I hope your processing goes smoothly!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
jaidedwings, I shall be watching your progress with baited breath because we are pretty much on the exact same timeline.  I got the Husband's documents last Friday, did the online application Monday, paid for priority last night, have biometrics today (Thursday) and am planning to send it all off tomorrow.
And we also got married the same weekend in June as you (except in 2013).
Did I mention that I'm moving to Essex?

Good luck!  I hope your processing goes smoothly!

Ah, yes, I remember! You'll be near Southend, right? We've got some strong similarities... great minds must think alike! I'll have to follow your story as well. :) Good luck right back atcha!

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 09:42:12 PM »
Two things I noticed today, and are worrying me...

1) I had gone to my local AAA office for my passport photos to include in my application... they gave me the standard US size of 2"x2". On GOV.UK, they state that the photos must be the UK standard size of 45mmx35mm or your application could be delayed! It also states that the photos cannot be cut down from larger pictures. Has anyone submitted US 2"x2" photos with success? Should I risk trimming them down?

2) I was looking over my application printout, and it states "VISA APPLICATION LOCATION: BRITISH CONSULATE GENERAL NEW YORK - NEW YORK" This is confusing, as I know I need to post everything to Sheffield, UK! What do they mean by this? Or is it an error?

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2014, 09:55:53 PM »
1) I had gone to my local AAA office for my passport photos to include in my application... they gave me the standard US size of 2"x2". On GOV.UK, they state that the photos must be the UK standard size of 45mmx35mm or your application could be delayed! It also states that the photos cannot be cut down from larger pictures. Has anyone submitted US 2"x2" photos with success? Should I risk trimming them down?

Nope, it's fine.

They will accept either size and I think the majority of people here send 2 x 2 inch photos - it's not an issue at all.

(Unlike when you apply for a US visa and they won't accept UK size photos so you have to get special 2 x 2 inch ones done)

2) I was looking over my application printout, and it states "VISA APPLICATION LOCATION: BRITISH CONSULATE GENERAL NEW YORK - NEW YORK" This is confusing, as I know I need to post everything to Sheffield, UK! What do they mean by this? Or is it an error?

Ignore it. It's an error (they put this same address on ALL applications, whether they are supposed to be sent to NYC or not).

You MUST send the application to Sheffield.

If you send it to NYC, they will just return it to you and tell you to send it to Sheffield instead... and sometimes it can take them up to a month to return it to you!

One person here applied in early February, back when it was only taking about a week for applications to be processed, but accidentally sent it to NYC. The NYC consulate didn't return it to her until March, and so by the time she got it to Sheffield, the processing times had increased and in the end I don't think she got the visa until at least April, maybe even May. So, that one shipping mistake to NYC caused the application to take an extra 2-3 months to be processed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:57:49 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 134
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 10:07:39 PM »
Ah, yes, I remember! You'll be near Southend, right? We've got some strong similarities... great minds must think alike! I'll have to follow your story as well. :) Good luck right back atcha!

Yep, not too far from there.  And I've had no problem with sending in US size passport photos.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 6
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2014, 12:27:50 AM »

It's not an error.  The issuing authority is the British Consulate NYC however the visa is processed in Sheffield. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab