Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Registry office weddings-what did you wear?  (Read 4035 times)

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • Liked: 0
Registry office weddings-what did you wear?
« on: August 29, 2014, 12:01:12 PM »
September 25th is coming up fast. I have no dress, Rings just need to be bought (we know where and what we're buying) his family ie: mom-dad-brother are the only ones showing up. We decided in sept 2015 to do a church wedding (vow renewal) I never wanted church wedding but he does so this is our compromise and maybe by then my parents will actually want to meet their son-in-law. In 2015 we'll do the whole 9yards but sept 25th, I just want to look cute and comfy (hoping to find a dress Non wedding in my size) i'm a size 24 bridal. No idea what size normal dress. I wear a 14-16 in shirts at primark and next but my hips are super wide. My budget is 75 quid or less but hoping not to break 50. Any store suggestions? I'm NOT looking for a bridal dress, bridesmaid maybe. and just for bridal is a total NO

I leave for the states in Nov. so I'm hoping we can do this right. I'll be coming back on a spousal in the spring so his finances and mine will be better set and then if the sh*t continues with his NHS team we'll be working on getting back to the US. I've had enough sh*t dealing with a**hole doctors here. but i don't want to be separated.

Anyways off my soapbox. Any store suggestions? I'm running out of time, and super short dresses that show zero cleavage (I have boobs hello!) is all i keep finding and its pissing me off.

Thanx
-Amy
Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

• Liked: 537
Re: Registry office weddings-what did you wear?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 04:46:45 PM »
I bought a really cute bandage style dress from Debenham's for after my wedding in July. I think it was around 75 quid.

They have a lot of dresses on sale.

Hope that's helpful!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »
I made my dress, just a pretty summer dress from a Vogue pattern and wore it with a pastel jacket and some bargain sandals. These days I would buy from one of the department stores, but back then I had more energy! Good luck shopping:)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:27:01 PM »
I got a really cute frock at a random store in London about two months before our registry office wedding. I decided not to purposefully look (I've been a bridesmaid and seen the bride and other bridesmaids in tears trying on dressing - and not good tears) so I just casually popped in to shops when I got here. When I found it, I knew. ;)

My dress was a knee-length pleated black dress with white pinstripes and little decorative bits and a white lace back. The brand is Closet and they've got lots of cute dresses at Debenhams and other shops now. I love my dress. And it was less than £50. And it has pockets! And it's machine washable.  I can totally wear it somewhere else and it was classy for our wedding but funky so it's memorable and definitely unique.

If you're not having a big wedding, wear what's comfy and what you want. If you can wear it again, you can still show it off to friends and family back home. If you're getting married in November, maybe it could double as a Christmas outfit (I'm not suggesting Santas and reindeer... Just appropriate for the weather). I'm sure you'll find something.

What are you doing for shoes? I debated between boots and flat (I'm not a heel person) but went for some awesome red flat I stumbled upon. I made DH get a tie that matched my (clearance!) shoes but that was really matchy-matchy for us.
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 583
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »
my cutest dresses have come from ASOS Curve:

http://www.asos.com/Women/Asos-Curve/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=9577

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
I bought my dress from debenhams. I think it was about 85 pounds
It was plain off white satin shoulder less
And I sewed pearls on it
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• A Yank in Blighty
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 01:19:27 PM »
I just bought an off white (because I'm so pale) maxi dress from Next. It has some crochet type details around the neck line and was really nice - but decently casual (for my low key wedding) and only £50. I'm a 20-22 and have found nice clothes in my size at both Next and Dorothy Perkins so I just looked there and filtered for white/cream dresses. I didn't want to have too elaborate of a dress for such a small wedding so it worked well for me.

• Amor Vincit Omnia
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 05:46:25 PM »
I found this dress online

http://www.yoursclothing.co.uk/P/Cream_Lace_Dress-(22238).aspx

I'm planning on calling the store Thursday morning to see if they carry it since I'm not sure how their sizes run. But we have one in Cabot Circus :) My fiance' likes it so praying this is the one! :)
Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

Sponsored Links