Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Good universal power cord?  (Read 1825 times)

• Liked: 0
Good universal power cord?
« on: August 31, 2014, 04:56:33 AM »
Hello everyone.  New member.  I am moving to the UK for (at least) a year for school.  I've been informed by my residence that there are only so many wall outlets in my room and was encouraged to purchase a power strip.  I've however been having issues finding one that would allow me to plug in my Macbook, Apple TV and my PS3 into it yet be able to plug the power strip into the wall outlet. 

I wanted to find out if you think this is a good power strip.  I understand the PS3 and the Apple TV have universal power supplies and I believe my Macbook shouldn't have too much issue.  But I still want to find out if this would work: [nofollow] I have what I believe to be the Super Slim Ps3, it's CECH 4001B which I believe is universal power though it has the 125V on the back.  But yeah any advice, I'd appreciate it.  I leave in three weeks so I obviously really want  to have everything I need before leaving.

• Liked: 7
Re: Good universal power cord?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:12:47 AM »
Why not just get a US plug power strip, and insert that into a plug adapter? (I have two of these...but really only ever use one for my laptop as everything else that I use regularly was bought in the UK)

Also, double check that your PS3 isn't region locked. If it is, you'd be restricted to playing only US games on it, as UK games would be incompatible.
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 63
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:21:59 AM »
I bought one of those power cords from Amazon.....really, really good buy, especially for my external hard drives (they were dual voltage).

The problem with a US power strip is that it isn't rated for 220-240V - you could end up frying not only the strip, but damaging anything plugged into it (even if the items are dual voltage).

The adapters PickledSakura mentioned are fine, but you're more limited if you have a few things to plug in. For the money, go with the power strip you found.

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »
I bought one of those power cords from Amazon.....really, really good buy, especially for my external hard drives (they were dual voltage).

The problem with a US power strip is that it isn't rated for 220-240V - you could end up frying not only the strip, but damaging anything plugged into it (even if the items are dual voltage).

The adapters PickledSakura mentioned are fine, but you're more limited if you have a few things to plug in. For the money, go with the power strip you found.

That is exactly why I thought of going with this one, cause when I went to The Source, they informed me about the whole power strips here in Canada (I know I mentioned US power strip but we're all the same when it comes to electronics, region 1, 110-120V, etc.  

Would still like other opinions if I'm honest just so I can get perspective. No offense Vadio, you've really helped, but jut want to see if anyone else agrees with you.  I would hate to blow my PS3 or my Apple TV while there.  Any suggestions too guys about the Nintendo Wii? I haven't decided if I'm going to bring it as well but I remember reading I think on this forum that because the Wii has one of those power bricks, you have to be more careful.  Let me know. But my primary question is about the power strip.

Also not too concerned about region locks. I'm bringing TONS of movies and tv shows and will barely have time (doing a Master's) to watch them all.  I don't plan on buying much more than food and laundry lol. I'll wait till I return to Canada to buy anything new.

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
We use UK power strips with US devices with US plugs inserted into plug converters. Note that these electrical items work both in the US and UK so I'm talking about converting the plug, not the power.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:00:33 PM »
We use UK power strips with US devices with US plugs inserted into plug converters. Note that these electrical items work both in the US and UK so I'm talking about converting the plug, not the power.

I had thought about that, but I read it could be problematic with the voltages again just as if I were plugging it into a wall outlet with just an adapter. That's why I thought this power strip might be more beneficial since it has the 220/240V and such a high wattage.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »
Not sure how the cord on MacBooks looks but my computer cord has two parts: one bit that has a voltage converter and plugs into the computer and a second bit that connects to the converter and plugs into the wall.  I simply ordered a UK plug version of the second bit and switch between them.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »
Not sure how the cord on MacBooks looks but my computer cord has two parts: one bit that has a voltage converter and plugs into the computer and a second bit that connects to the converter and plugs into the wall.  I simply ordered a UK plug version of the second bit and switch between them.

I would do so and if you have a good suggestion of where to buy, I'd look into it, but it costs more to buy a new cord on the Apple UK Store than it did for me to get a new one from the U.S. Apple Store.  Don't know why such a price difference but what was $89 CAD here is like $120 CAD for the same thing from the UK store (using the conversion rate)

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 09:20:00 PM »
Well i decided to buy it. Hopefully it does all work out and I don't lose any systems lol. Thanks everyone for your help.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 03:51:16 AM »
I would do so and if you have a good suggestion of where to buy, I'd look into it, but it costs more to buy a new cord on the Apple UK Store than it did for me to get a new one from the U.S. Apple Store.  Don't know why such a price difference but what was $89 CAD here is like $120 CAD for the same thing from the UK store (using the conversion rate)

I hope that it works for you.  My laptop is an Acer so an interchangeable plug costs about $8 on Amazon.  Good luck with the rest of your move!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 63
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 08:17:16 AM »
Just remember that it's NOT a transformer. It just allows you to plug in your dual voltage devices without the need to change cords.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years now, and wouldn't be without it. I'm also amazed that I couldn't find one here; I bought mine on my first trip back o the US to visit family.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 05:22:15 AM »
Just remember that it's NOT a transformer. It just allows you to plug in your dual voltage devices without the need to change cords.

I've had mine for nearly 3 years now, and wouldn't be without it. I'm also amazed that I couldn't find one here; I bought mine on my first trip back o the US to visit family.

I don't believe I'm bringing any single voltage items. I'm bringing an Apple TV, the Macbook Pro (2011 edition) and my PS3.  Anyone know though about Nintendo DS or 3DS charge cords? Would it be better to get a charge cord from a video game store when I'm there?

Sponsored Links