Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Scariest Movie  (Read 1912 times)

• Liked: 533
Scariest Movie
« on: September 15, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
I still get a little nervous thinking about Blair Witch, and I think the scene in Wizard of Oz where Dorothy sees her Aunty Em in the crystal ball and it turns into the evil witch is mortifying, but the reveal here in Hitchcock's The Birds is chilling:

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
Re: Scariest Movie
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
You know, I still haven't watched The Birds. It's been on my To Watch list for ages. I'll have to scrounge it up from somewhere.

I've only really seen Psycho, of his and that was relatively recently. I don't do well with scary movies, the build up just gets me so nervous.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »
Scariest movie I ever saw was The Haunting (1963 version with Julie Harris).  You never saw a monster or whatever only creepy shots of walls and doors being dented in.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
Every scary movie is scary to me, haha. The one that broke me for enjoying them would be "Children of the Corn." Not the best movie to watch when you're 4, I had nightmares. I think we may have watched one of the Chuckie movies that night as well. My parents were so mad at the friend's parents who let us watch it. I don't think I ever saw that friend again.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:46:51 AM »
The one that broke me for enjoying them would be "Children of the Corn."

That's got the kid named Malachi in it, which is just creepy to begin with. If you name your son Malachi he's going to join a Puritan cult and skulk about in a field somewhere with a John Denver haircut and the top button of his shirt done up.

I had a friend who named his kid Damien. I told him that was fine with me, but he wasn't coming over to my house. Look around and the little guy's eyes would be glowing...

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »
Tied between A Nightmare on Elm Street and Candyman *shudder*
6/2010-Met Mr Wonderful playing on-line Scrabble
2/2011-Met Mr Wonderful IRL in Edinburgh, Scotland
8/2011-Went to Scotland x6 mos
8/2011-5/2014-A TON of travel back & forth
6/2014-Wed Mr Wonderful
7/2014-Applied for Spouse Visa On-line and Biometrics taken
10/8/14-Spouse Visa Received
10/20/14-Scheduled Departure Date to Scotland <3

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 07:56:24 PM »
That's got the kid named Malachi in it, which is just creepy to begin with. If you name your son Malachi he's going to join a Puritan cult and skulk about in a field somewhere with a John Denver haircut and the top button of his shirt done up.

I had a friend who named his kid Damien. I told him that was fine with me, but he wasn't coming over to my house. Look around and the little guy's eyes would be glowing...

Yeah, it's a weird one. I think I remember my nightmare from the movie a bit better then the movie. That or they're completely intertwined. haha.

Dang, are you sure it wasn't just the flash from an iPhone? *grins*

• Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
For me it's Invasion of the Body Snatchers, the version with Donald Sutherland.  I don't think I slept that night after that last scene... and I wasn't a kid, I was in my 20's!

I pretty much avoid all scary movies - they're just too scary!  :o
Here 2 years as of Oct. 1, 2016.

• Liked: 134
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 11:19:10 PM »
I love scary movies, especially the ones from the 70s.  My family actually knows one of the priests in the Exorcist.  My favorite Halloween time movies are Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow and the Skeleton Key.  Neither are absolutely terrifying but they are definitely atmospheric on a foggy Fall evening. 
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 15
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the original one)
2001 - moved to the UK on a student visa
2002 - 2 year work visa (and met hubby later that year)
2004 - moved w UKC hubby to US
2012 - UKC hubby now a dual national (USC)
Apr 2015 - moved back to UK w DH and two DD

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Dang, are you sure it wasn't just the flash from an iPhone? *grins*

I don't know....I opened the curtains once and the kid hissed at the sunlight like an angry cat.

My friend says, "You must have startled him."

I was like, "Bull shirt, a kid doesn't hiss like that at sunlight."

He grew up to be a chiropractor.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
I love scary movies, especially the ones from the 70s.  My family actually knows one of the priests in the Exorcist.  My favorite Halloween time movies are Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow and the Skeleton Key.  Neither are absolutely terrifying but they are definitely atmospheric on a foggy Fall evening.  

I LOVE Sleepy Hollow.  Definitely a favourite, especially this time of year.  I've got a lot of others:
  • Evil Dead/Army of Darkness
  • Cabin in the Woods - written by Joss Whedon.  A must-watch for Buffy fans, because in a lot of ways, it's another take on The Initiative (from series 4).
    • Tucker & Dale vs. Evil - hilarious twist on slasher-film tropes
    • The Craft
    • Lost Boys
    • The Monster Squad
    • Stigmata
    • American Werewolf in London (& Paris)
    I think the scariest on that list is probably Cabin in the Woods.  But, mostly, I avoid the really super-scary, extra-gorey, torture-y stuff.  

ETA:  Sorry about the multi-level list.  I've tried 3 times, and the editor just really, really wants to hang onto that extra tag.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 11:04:50 AM by woadgrrl »

• Makeup Guru & Anglophile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 05:13:46 PM »
Pet Semetary freaked me out as a kid. USA used to play it all the time.. The SHining w/ Jack Nicholson creeps me out for sure. Rosemary's Baby would be my worst nightmare.
Met at 2012 London Olympics| Engagement 4-25-13| Married 7-30-13| Hired immigration lawyer 9-13 (waste of time)| Applied for Spousal Visa online 12-27-13| Biometrics completed 1-2-14| Spousal & dependent visas submitted 1-10-14| Application is being processed email 1-13-14| Decision has been made email 1-21-14| Received approved visas 1-24-14| Arrived in London 3-9-14 YAY!!

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 06:44:52 PM »

Sponsored Links