Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Am I understanding this correctly?  (Read 1360 times)

• Liked: 19
Am I understanding this correctly?
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »

Mr. Woadgrrl & I are trying to consider our options, and one option is moving to the U.S..  We've been married ~4 years, and I've had ILR since March and am already eligible for citizenship, just haven't done it yet.

Without getting into all the details like form numbers, etc., can someone let me know if I've got this stuff right?  At this point, I'm not really worried about the paperwork itself, just trying to wrap my head around the logistics.

Money stuff: If we're both living in the UK, then in order to meet the support requirements, we'd either need to:
  • Get a co-sponsor, like my parents, who do meet the income requirements.  As long as they're earning enough, and haven't been on any benefits, would things like bankruptcy/foreclosure matter?
  • Have lots and lots of cash savings.
  • Have me move home first and start earning enough-- for how long before I could sponsor?  Am I right that my current UK income wouldn't count, and nor would a job offer in the US?
"Reestablishing my domicile":  Since I've been settled overseas, I'd need to show that we intend to immediately settle in the US when we get there.  It mentions accepting a job or signing a lease-- so it could be one or the other?  If I've got a job waiting, it's ok if we're crashing with family at first; or if we had a signed lease, I wouldn't need to have a job already?  Does it matter that I've kept my WI driver's license, bank accounts & voter registration?

And, once we've figured out how we're going to qualify, then it's just a matter of filling out the paperwork, getting the medical check in London ( [smiley=bleck.gif], having an interview, and then waiting for the visa?  I'm guessing there must be some kind of biometrics thing in there, too-- do they just do that at the same time as the interview, or does it have to be done before you send in the forms?  Can that only be done in London, too?

When we've got the visa, then we can just go, and Mr. Woadgrrl could start working or studying right away, yeah?  What's the time-limit on initial entry (i.e. how long before it 'expires' if he hasn't entered the U.S.)? 

It's then 3 years until he could get citizenship, yes?  And at that point the co-sponsors would be off the hook?  (And, if we really wanted to, he could then, as a citizen, petition for his mum to come over?)

Wow.  This ended up longer than I expected.  So, thanks to anyone who takes the time to answer. 

• Liked: 56
Re: Am I understanding this correctly?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
I can answer a little bit of this as my partner came over on a green card and, as I was resettling in a different part of the US after a short time overseas, we had to do the parental sponsor.  It was not a big deal at all - some paperwork and I think the most recent tax return had to be supplied.  Its really almost a one time thing; after the information was submitted, we never heard anything again regarding the sponsorship (no checkups or anything). I don't know how a bankruptcy would impact that, but if its off the tax return then I can't imagine its that big a deal.

We had 5 years to citizenship for him because we aren't married, but when he went to apply there was no question about the sponsorship.  By then he had a job and had driving history in three states (IL, WI, MN) and bank accounts, tax returns, etc.  Its a very easy process honestly.  Now he can petition for family members to come over, and essentially as soon as you get that citizenship you can petition.  Check the timelines though on the State Dept website for how long that can take as its not as straightforward or fast as for the initial applicant.  I believe parents are shuttled through faster, but sisters and more extended family have to wait for visas to become available, and that can take up to 10+ years.

When your husband comes over he will be able to work and study right away, just has to apply at the Social Security office for a SSN (that takes like 10 days to come in).  We even had a bobble with the name (Swedish names are listed Middle, First on official documentation and that translated onto his first SS card) and it was no big deal to change.

The medical isn't a big deal either - a quick check and a doctor from the "approved" list that the embassy provides.  I do recall he had to have his lungs xrayed; not sure if that is required for "normal" green card applicants (he was a Diversity Visa lottery winner) but we still have the xrays and they were required to be sent with his application. May have been a blood draw as well. The doctor list he was provided for Sweden had one or two options in the three major cities, so you may get a choice of a closer doctor than London.

Honestly, after dealing with three different immigration systems now, the US has absolutely been the best.  All communication is clear (if maybe a little redundant), timelines clear, requirements clear.  It can seem like you are posting documentation into a hole at a weird PO address in Missouri, but you can track your application and while there may be some time lapse, trust that the process is actually trucking along in the background.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 09:07:06 PM »
Thanks!  It does seem like it's a pretty straight-forward process.  Which only leaves the minor hiccup of how freakin' much money a transatlantic move costs!

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:06:01 AM »
You might find it useful to check out www.britishexpats.com. The US immigration board has wikis on the different visa types, including the spousal route to green card, and will help you with the answers to your questions. Having completed US immigration forms I know they are straightforward, but sometimes we were guessing at what we were being asked!

Sponsored Links