Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Long-distance romance leads to London  (Read 835 times)

• NYC to London. Must be a city thing.
  • Liked: 0
Long-distance romance leads to London
« on: May 13, 2003, 07:03:27 PM »
Hello everyone,

I love that this resource is available for us transplants, and I wish I'd found it sooner!

My now-husband and I met over four years ago (!) during my vacation to the UK, while I was living in NYC and he was going to uni in London. We maintained a long-distance relationship for a while. When we made the decision that this was a serious relationship, I saved enough money to move here for awhile to see how we worked out. While here for a few months, I worked on completing my masters degree from afar (from a uni in NJ), and ended up back in New Jersey to battle it out with my thesis advisor. Finally came back last summer with the intention of staying six months on the visitors visa. Just before I had to go back to the States, we decided we couldn't live apart anymore, and got married in October 2003. (Are we still newlyweds after six months? :)

I love living in London, but being away from family and friends has been hard at times.

Finally, I've decided I have to become a responsible member of UK society, and I'm working on figuring out the health care system and finding a job. (Just seem too busy travelling and 'settling in' to have time to work!)

It seems that this is the best place to start for advice. Thanks for being here!

Tricia
"You can wordify anything if you just verb it." -- Bucky, Get Fuzzy

• Garden Butterflies
Re: Long-distance romance leads to London
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2003, 10:14:28 PM »
Tricia,  Welcome and Congrats on you still newlywed status...  Look forward to that status myself this summer...

Long distance love is hard for sure...  but well worth the ending results of being together.

UKY has a vast magnitude of info...  I am sure you will find just about anything you need to know here.

Take care and enjoy
Shel  
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003, 10:14:47 PM by mfredericka »
Logic is one thing, it keeps us in control!
But the heart only knows one, which is the  
depths of our soul!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 01:58:44 AM »
:D Welcome to London, fellow NY'er! Congratulations on your recent marriage! I can absolutely relate to your love story-My fiance and I  also survived our trans-atlantic courtship! Being apart from him during those 2 years was really difficult .. it made it even more precious when I moved here in Dec 2001. (That is a story in itself hehe) *phew* We'll be marrying later this summer!

I, too, had wished I found this site when I moved over...it was a very difficult transition & I still get homesick (especially after coming back from NY this week after 12 days with family & friends! wah!)- but I wouldn't trade the chance meeting that led to this life change for *anything* in the world.

Best of luck with everything! What sort of job are you looking for?

• Banned

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • NGUNN.NET WEBSITE
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 09:39:40 PM »
Pleasure meeting you and your husband today Tricia...really enjoyed it..hope we can meet again soon..

Cynda Gunn

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 11:50:25 PM »
Thanks cynda! I enjoyed it too.  :)

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 07:34:50 PM »
Hi Tricia,

Welcome to UKY and congrats on your marriage!  A LDR can be challenging to be sure but you made it and now you're together! [smiley=love.gif]

My FH arrives here in the US on Thursday (I'm counting down the days!!!).  This will be the last time he has to come visit me as I will be moving to the UK to join him later this month - FINALLY!  We're getting married in Aug.

Glad you're posting and hope to see you on the boards a lot!  :)

-Sandy
« Last Edit: June 04, 2003, 07:35:19 PM by runner1 »
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 04:29:49 AM »
Hi sandy, Thanks for the welcome. I'm enjoying the boards a lot already. And thanks for the reminder that we're survived so much. Hopefully we won't take each other for granted -- a mistake that is very easy to make in any relationship.

I am so happy for you having 'the last visit'.  :D  Best of luck with your wedding and the move over.

• Bo Selecta!!
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2003, 02:55:35 AM »
Hi Tricia,

We know we're a bit late, but...

Welcome to the boards!    

Pie and Mash  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
...We're not bad people.;D

Sponsored Links