Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bonfire Night Plans?  (Read 2377 times)

• Liked: 24
Bonfire Night Plans?
« on: November 04, 2004, 05:59:50 PM »
We're heading down to the inlaws tomorrow evening for tea (dinner) and fireworks. Anyone else have special plans? :)

Re: Bonfire Night Plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2004, 06:03:37 PM »
We're planning on standing outside in the freezing cold up to our ankles in mud, eating dodgy sausages and buying glowsticks while watching the fireworks.  Then no doubt we'll have to navigate the fun fare, where we'll try not to lose any children or win any goldfish.   ;)

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2004, 06:05:47 PM »
Not doing anything. We never do. As an American ex-pat I try to keep an open mind about the Brit culture but I just cant get into the whole bonfire night thing. To me its just another cold night but the baby will be up all night because of the excessive noise. Sooooo not looking forward to it. Also, in my neighborhood the fireworks/crackers will go on well into December. Geez! lol I sound like an 80 year old, I know!! :P

Then no doubt we'll have to navigate the fun fare, where we'll try not to lose any children or win any goldfish. ;)

LOL!!!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 06:09:10 PM »
The bride's taking the kids to see Disney on ice at the NIA,then Saturday we're having a bit of a do at the mother in laws.Some of the fireworks seem the size of WW2 bombs this year,so the MILs back garden may need re-building later.

Dave
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.
Ernest Benn

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 08:12:01 PM »
Going to Peugot's fire work display in Coventry, with my parents.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 08:19:34 PM »
We are thinking of going down to Leeds Castle on Saturday for the Fireworks.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2004, 08:24:49 PM »
I for one think its great and am really excited about taking part in a truly British holiday.  It's my first...My Chihuahua is not thrilled at the noise and keeps sticking herself to me, but she will survive.  It's like the 4th of July in GA where we start a whole month before and after firing off every firework bought in the Carolinas.  So not much different as far as noise level just a different holiday, reason and place.  

We will be meeting up at the local tapas place and then heading down to the wonderful Plymouth Hoe and watching the bonfire and fireworks and playing goofy games and eating silly food.  All of this dressed very warmly as it is due to be cold.

Don't some kids dress up too?  Might be a way to help them through not having Halloween as big here.  My mom and dad made sure I got to take part in lots of the local activites and I have nothing but great memories about putting my shoes out in Germany for Kris Kringle, and 3 Kings Day in Spain and the Feast of St. George which is celebrated very similar to bonfire night here, and Chosuk in Korea and well tons of things....  

I just thought of another topic!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2004, 08:26:18 PM »
We're going to Matt's party (see the "events" posting for my open invite to Londoners wishing to make the arduous journey to the 'burbs!) LOL, hope you don't mind the extra publicity, birthday boy!

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »
Going to Peugot's fire work display in Coventry, with my parents.

Funny, my husband works there and I never knew they did a fireworks display!

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 09:00:23 PM »
My Dad works there, it's a big thing appretnly.

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 10:06:22 PM »
Not doing anything. We never do. As an American ex-pat I try to keep an open mind about the Brit culture but I just cant get into the whole bonfire night thing.

I too have struggled with this.  And I think that part of it is that usually in families it's the Mums who keep the traditions going.  It wasn't until my older kids were about four or five and while we were at a neighbours the conversation came round to Halloween/Bonfire night.  Their little girl wanted to trick-or-treat and the Mum was saying that it wasn't their tradition and that Bonfire night was.  And my little girl said 'oh Bonfire night's not our tradition'.  And that's when I realized that it should be.  I'd been so concerned with keeping the American traditions going and not losing that part of their heritage that I'd ignored their British heritage.  So since then, we've eaten bangers and mash, bundled up and gone to  the fireworks.  And I'm not a huge fan but I have been known to enjoy it sometimes.   :)
So maybe you could send the kids out with your husband and stay home with the baby.  Or maybe all bundle up and go.  At least give it a shot.   :)
You might even win a goldfish. 

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 10:09:42 PM »
I LOVE Bonfire night. It's just a total laugh.

And, luckily for me, I don't have to go far, just up the road to Hyde Park (Leeds, not London).

We'll go the park and drink and warm ourselves next to the massive fire and watch the fireworks (all the while oohing and aahing) and then go across the street to the fun fair where everyone doesn't wait for the rides to stop before getting on. And I'll win tons of cheapy horrible plush toys that Jon will hate but will make me keep them because I insisted on having them.

Dudes, I totally love Bonfire Night.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 10:12:23 PM »
The school across the road from us had their display tonight.  So not only did we watch it for free, but we got to do it in comfort and we were warm.   :) :) :)

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 10:19:01 PM »
The school across the road from us had their display tonight.  So not only did we watch it for free, but we got to do it in comfort and we were warm.   :) :) :)

Yes, but where are the goldfish?

;)
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 10:20:07 PM »

Yes, but where are the goldfish?

;)

No!  No goldfish this year!   ;)

Sponsored Links