Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: what a crappy week  (Read 1080 times)

• Liked: 544
what a crappy week
« on: October 12, 2014, 03:10:54 PM »
I had my first in person interview on Tuesday with Molson Coors, I felt it had gone okay but not that great. I had felt that way about my phone interview and I still got the in person one. They said they'd be contacting me early next week after they completed their other interviews and had made their decision. I wasn't holding my breath, but it would be a nice surprise.

Then I got a migraine on Thursday, and I spent the day sleeping on the couch watching Netflix. I finally took a Maxalt after my husband got home from work, they make me sleep and get really loopy, neither of which is good with a puppy.

Friday I felt better, still had a nagging headache. Our TV was on the fritz, we've had crappier and crappier signal with it for the last 2 months until finally... NOTHING. No channels at all, but the TV worked and I could watch movies and use the PS3.
Then I get a form letter email while I'm cooking dinner from Coors stating I wasn't chosen for the job. YAY! What a lovely day. Turns out the recruiter did try to call me, but I was doing dishes and cooking and missed the call. It did make me feel a bit better. I'm still bummed though.

Saturday, headache day 3 turns out to be a cold type thing cause the only thing that helped was a decongestant. Then after a run to the grocery store our TV went kaput. We have no picture but perfect sound. It won't even pull up the menu or anything. It's barely a year old. *sigh*

And today, Sunday? TV is still dead. And I realize that while doing a large credit card balance transfer online earlier this month I had screwed something up. Cue a freakout. Thank god my credit card company has people available 24 hours a day. It's on it's way to being corrected, but damn. Was I ever worried. I didn't want to be responsible for someone else's debt that I took on on accident!

October is just not my month.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 56
Re: what a crappy week
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 04:02:36 PM »
This was us last week.  My partner was final final FINAL round after an email round, two in persons, and a programming test for a newly-created role at a really interesting startup.  I mean it couldn't have been a better fit - he uses the app, its mapping and hes GIS focused with degrees, background in the language and knowledge of new cities they are starting, but isn't a pure developer, which this role wouldn't have been.  He had even worked with similar data sets and requirements previously.  Was asked about salary requirements etc.  I mean, slam dunk, right?

Nope.  They decided to pull the role because they just couldn't figure out how it would fit in, even though they had a candidate (him) open to a short term contract who wasn't coming from a prior company where it would be a big risk.

This was his third final round rejection this year and came after having one of the most shockingly bad interview experiences I have ever heard of at another company before this one.  To top it off, his laptop broke down and our friend's unused desktop he had recommissioned to use ALSO blew up the day after so he had no job offer and no way to keep job searching.  Our living situation remains bizarre as we are still at my friend's place sleeping on her floor, and between her annoying pets, poor sleep, noise from the loud road outside, and job stress, lets just say our mental state wasn't the best by that point.

We threw in the towel and booked cheap flights to his parents in Sweden for the month of October, and they bought him a new laptop for early Christmas.  After three days here and sleeping in a proper bed, with our (well trained) kitties, we already feel 1000% better.  Tomorrow we start the search anew.

I swear, getting a job rejection just amplifies or attracts other crappy things to happen.  Good luck to keep moving forward!

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:35:52 PM »
Oh, wow. You two have definitely been in the same boat. I'm glad to hear your in a better place right now!

It definitely seems to snowball, doesn't it? Ah, well. Chin up and all that, right?

I hope things start going a lot smoother for you! And best of luck in his job search!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 09:17:59 PM »
Sympathies on the job front, it must be very frustrating.

I don't know if you are aware, but consumers in the UK still have rights if appliances fail after the initial warranty period. This article (old but accurate) is a good explanation of your rights: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain
and here's a template letter to help you have the TV repaired:
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-to-ask-for-a-faulty-item-to-be-repaired-or-replaced-

(I've assumed you didn't take out an additional warranty at the time of purchase).
Hope you, and anyone else who reads, finds this useful!

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »
Sympathies on the job front, it must be very frustrating.

I don't know if you are aware, but consumers in the UK still have rights if appliances fail after the initial warranty period. This article (old but accurate) is a good explanation of your rights: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2006/mar/25/consumernews.howtocomplain
and here's a template letter to help you have the TV repaired:
http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/action/letter-to-ask-for-a-faulty-item-to-be-repaired-or-replaced-

(I've assumed you didn't take out an additional warranty at the time of purchase).
Hope you, and anyone else who reads, finds this useful!

Thanks, Fruitgum. I know the rights are different here than the US, so I will have to check it out. My UK half seems to be brushing it off and is being most unhelpful. He's basically saying, "it's over the year warranty so sod it." Even though we can't afford to replace it at the moment.

Sponsored Links