Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone find any good dill pickles?  (Read 18996 times)

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
Re: Anyone find any good dill pickles?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2018, 11:07:29 PM »
I love watching native british peoples reaction when i describe a typical American grocery store pickle isle, ..What???THERES A WHOLE ISLE FOR GERKINS!! I then try to explain those are the little sweet ones we usually have at thanksgiving, there are are dozens of varieties of pickels ! They just shake their heads..

• Liked: 957
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2018, 03:16:36 PM »
I love watching native british peoples reaction when i describe a typical American grocery store pickle isle, ..What???THERES A WHOLE ISLE FOR GERKINS!! I then try to explain those are the little sweet ones we usually have at thanksgiving, there are are dozens of varieties of pickels ! They just shake their heads..
Yet they don't bat an eye at the aisle of relishes and sauces here!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
OK, success!  ;D ;D ;D

I have a dill pickle recipe. Batch # 2, unlike Batch #1, came out well. We think the problem with Batch #1 was having used fresh dillweed instead of dill seed. (It had a really nasty, bitter flavor. Inedible.)

So, for Batch #2 we made three .5 liter Kilner Jars, processed for 15 minutes in a hot-water bath to preserve and seal.

Incredients for the pickle mix:

1 T dill seed
2 T mustard seed
1 T allspice berries
2 t  coriander seeds
1 t hot pepper flakes
1 t ginger (we used powdered)
2 bay leaves
6 whole cloves
[We combined these, breaking up the bay leaves into smaller bits.  "T" = tablespoon, "t" = teaspoon.]

Cucumber preparation:

We bought Tesco baby cukes - four packs of https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292663718 
Three packs we sliced into spears, one we sliced into sandwich chips.  (Haven't tasted the spears yet, but the chips are good.)
Rinse and pat the cukes dry.
Place in a bowl and sprinkle very liberally with sea salt or pickling salt (not ordinary table salt). You want them have a good covering of the salt, to draw out water and add flavor.
Let them sit for a while - anywhere from a half hour to a few hours. Kind of stir them a bit (move them around) at least once during this time. (We did the two-hour.)
Pour the water that ends up in the bottom of the bowl away.
Rinse the cukes under cold running water. Rinse them thoroughly. You want to get all the actual salt off the surface of the cukes.
Set them aside in a collander to drain a bit.

Pickling Brine prep:

Mix two cups water to 1 cup white or malt vinegar. Make sure the vinegar is at least 5% acidic or it all could spoil in the jar.
Add 1/4 cup of the pickling mix to the water, heat gently to simmer for a bit to make the brine.

[If you find you don't have enough liquid, just make more H20 to vinegar at a 2 to 1 ratio to top off the jars. You will probably have extra pickling mix left over, but just save it to use next time. Or make more jars. Just keep the proportions of vinegar to water to spice mix the same.]

Jar Prep:

Sanitize your jars - wash them well, then put them into the pot of water you're going to process the filled jars in while the water is still cold. If you are not using a canning pot, be sure there is something like a round cake rack at the bottom of the pot - you do not want the jars sitting directly on the bottom of the pot itself. Bring the water up to a simmer. You can add your jar lids to the water as well, to soften the seal - they need at least a good five minutes in very warm water to soften appropriately.  After the water has been simmering for at least 10 minutes, the jars should be relatively sanitized. Remove each jar, empty as much water out as you can, and place the jar on a towel or a cookie rack (not directly on your countertop - the cold of a counter can crack the jar).

Into each warm jar add one or two whole peeled garlic cloves. Then stuff in as much cuke as you can, without exerting too much brute force. You don't want the cukes coming up past the point where the jars start to go narrow. Top with another peeled garlic clove.

Carefully add the hot brine to the jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace at the top. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder per jar. Add pickle-crisp, if you have it, or calcium chloride - 1/8th teaspoon per jar. (Helps keep them from going mushy. Not absolutely required, but it does help with the texture.) Be sure you add all the spices that were in the brine - try to allocate it evenly among the jars.

Be sure to use a plastic knife to go around the sides of the jar to get any trapped air bubbles out.  Wipe the rim of each jar with a damp cloth - it has to be completely clean for the lids to seal. Put the lid on the jars, tighten the band until just snug.

Put the filled jars in the hot water bath, make sure there is at least an inch of water over the tops of the jars. Cover and heat to a boil. From the time the water actually starts to boil, you'll time it to 15 minutes. After that, carefully move the pot over off the heat and let it sit and cool for five minutes.

Carefully remove the jars, keeping them upright and trying to not jostle the lids. Set on a kitchen towel or cake rack. Then be sure to just leave them alone. You should hear the usual "poink" noise when each lid seals. If you don't get a seal, you can clean the rim, try a new lid, and reprocess as long as you do it within 24 hours. 

Try to not move the jars for at least 12 hours, then you can wipe the outsides down to tidy them up if any of the brine escaped, and set them on a shelf out of the way. Every few days give them a gentle shake to be sure the spices are not all in one glob in there. In four weeks they should be ready. They should also keep, if properly sealed, for a year on the shelf.

You can tweak the flavor up by changing the proportion of the spices, but that will be a trial-and-error thing.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 04:25:38 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 04:50:57 PM »
OK, success!  ;D ;D ;D

I have a dill pickle recipe. Batch # 2, unlike Batch #1, came out well. We think the problem with Batch #1 was having used fresh dillweed instead of dill seed. (It had a really nasty, bitter flavor. Inedible.)

So, for Batch #2 we made three .5 liter Kilner Jars, processed for 15 minutes in a hot-water bath to preserve and seal.

Incredients for the pickle mix:

1 T dill seed
2 T mustard seed
1 T allspice berries
2 t  coriander seeds
1 t hot pepper flakes
1 t ginger (we used powdered)
2 bay leaves
6 whole cloves
[We combined these, breaking up the bay leaves into smaller bits.  "T" = tablespoon, "t" = teaspoon.]

Cucumber preparation:

We bought Tesco baby cukes - four packs of https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292663718 
Three packs we sliced into spears, one we sliced into sandwich chips.  (Haven't tasted the spears yet, but the chips are good.)
Rinse and pat the cukes dry.
Place in a bowl and sprinkle very liberally with sea salt or pickling salt (not ordinary table salt). You want them have a good covering of the salt, to draw out water and add flavor.
Let them sit for a while - anywhere from a half hour to a few hours. Kind of stir them a bit (move them around) at least once during this time. (We did the two-hour.)
Pour the water that ends up in the bottom of the bowl away.
Rinse the cukes under cold running water. Rinse them thoroughly. You want to get all the actual salt off the surface of the cukes.
Set them aside in a collander to drain a bit.

Pickling Brine prep:

Mix two cups water to 1 cup white or malt vinegar. Make sure the vinegar is at least 5% acidic or it all could spoil in the jar.
Add 1/4 cup of the pickling mix to the water, heat gently to simmer for a bit to make the brine.

[If you find you don't have enough liquid, just make more H20 to vinegar at a 2 to 1 ratio to top off the jars. You will probably have extra pickling mix left over, but just save it to use next time. Or make more jars. Just keep the proportions of vinegar to water to spice mix the same.]

Jar Prep:

Sanitize your jars - wash them well, then put them into the pot of water you're going to process the filled jars in while the water is still cold. If you are not using a canning pot, be sure there is something like a round cake rack at the bottom of the pot - you do not want the jars sitting directly on the bottom of the pot itself. Bring the water up to a simmer. You can add your jar lids to the water as well, to soften the seal - they need at least a good five minutes in very warm water to soften appropriately.  After the water has been simmering for at least 10 minutes, the jars should be relatively sanitized. Remove each jar, empty as much water out as you can, and place the jar on a towel or a cookie rack (not directly on your countertop - the cold of a counter can crack the jar).

Into each warm jar add one or two whole peeled garlic cloves. Then stuff in as much cuke as you can, without exerting too much brute force. You don't want the cukes coming up past the point where the jars start to go narrow. Top with another peeled garlic clove.

Carefully add the hot brine to the jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace at the top. Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder per jar. Add pickle-crisp, if you have it, or calcium chloride - 1/8th teaspoon per jar. (Helps keep them from going mushy. Not absolutely required, but it does help with the texture.) Be sure you add all the spices that were in the brine - try to allocate it evenly among the jars.

Be sure to use a plastic knife to go around the sides of the jar to get any trapped air bubbles out.  Wipe the rim of each jar with a damp cloth - it has to be completely clean for the lids to seal. Put the lid on the jars, tighten the band until just snug.

Put the filled jars in the hot water bath, make sure there is at least an inch of water over the tops of the jars. Cover and heat to a boil. From the time the water actually starts to boil, you'll time it to 15 minutes. After that, carefully move the pot over off the heat and let it sit and cool for five minutes.

Carefully remove the jars, keeping them upright and trying to not jostle the lids. Set on a kitchen towel or cake rack. Then be sure to just leave them alone. You should hear the usual "poink" noise when each lid seals. If you don't get a seal, you can clean the rim, try a new lid, and reprocess as long as you do it within 24 hours. 

Try to not move the jars for at least 12 hours, then you can wipe the outsides down to tidy them up if any of the brine escaped, and set them on a shelf out of the way. Every few days give them a gentle shake to be sure the spices are not all in one glob in there. In four weeks they should be ready. They should also keep, if properly sealed, for a year on the shelf.

You can tweak the flavor up by changing the proportion of the spices, but that will be a trial-and-error thing.
Ooh thank you!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:26 PM »
No sugar in those. :)

We did also use black mustard seed the second time, and yellow mustard seed the first. Not sure if that made any real difference.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2018, 09:58:12 AM »
I like dill pickles, but I also like all other kinds of pickles. Pickles galore in the UK and I adore pickled onions and cauliflower and pickled eggs.   I love the pickles here, including the sweet gherkins.  I am obviously a minority on this forum.   I have always been a fan of sweet bread 'n' butter pickles.  And pretty much all kinds of fridge pickles. 
I've been wanting really nice sweet fridge pickles.  So, rather than making dill pickles last night, with my cucumber crop, I made a nice sweet type of refrigerator pickle with  sugar, vinegar, caraway seeds, asafoetida, mustard seeds, cloves, and turmeric. The pickle liquor tasted great, and can't wait to try the pickle.
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2018, 10:28:04 AM »
I like a lot of pickles, but I need the salty ones for an easy "pick me up" that's tastier than salt water. Low BP is the pits. I also love real dill pickles! But I admittedly do really enjoy the variety of pickles, relishes and olives readily available. My mom used to make bread and butter pickles so sweet pickles are a good childhood memory. :)

Sponsored Links