Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Does The Shoe Fit - Any shoe will do!!!!  (Read 1257 times)

• Liked: 0
Does The Shoe Fit - Any shoe will do!!!!
« on: November 06, 2004, 12:48:21 PM »
 ??? Being a Brit on this site does have it's advantages and disadvantages but I have to say seeing where to put thoughts and comments on things in this site has been one of them.  I have really enjoyed reading what everyone has put, and thank you to everyone who has sent me personal messages and continued to talk to me, I dont feel too left out of things  ;D

Some of you have asked me where I am from and what I do...   well other than being born and raised in England with a very proper accent (through I am true cockney - think of My Fair Lady and you have it about right!!! ;)).  I have been teaching for over 11 years now,  I have two teenagers one boy one girl  ::), and if the powers that be grant our wish we will be joining my husband to live in Texas.

So my being on this site is almost like reverse therapy, hoping to find out how to cope with the changes that will happen for my Hubby when he joins us at Xmas for a while and then for me when I go to live there.   

As I have said before I am on a learning curve and I will be asking some dumb questions so here goes:

(Be nice guy's and help me out here  :-[  )

Is it possible to get bread in Walmat other than French bread that does not taste sweet?

Where can you get English Cheddar Cheese that is the Yellow colour it is supposed to be rather than the Orange-Red one that I see in the shops?

A good website that explains the rules to baseball and basketball so that I can understand what they mean (and how they are scoring points)?

Re: Does The Shoe Fit - Any shoe will do!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 01:10:39 PM »
The closest thing to English cheddar in taste would be Wisconsin Cheddar. Most grocery stores will sell it in the fresh cheese section.

Walmart is O.Ok. for bread, but I would suggest going to one of the supermarkets, as they have a bakery section and you can get fresh bread there that is not sweet.

Baseball: Rules: Hit small ball with a stick, run around all three bases, then make to home, and you get 1 point.

Basketball: Most baskets made during the game are worth 2 points. If a basket is made over the half court line, that is a 3 point score. If a basket is shot from the foul line, when there is no running action. That baset is worth 1 point.
Never hold Farts in. They travel up your spine and to your brain. This is where sh*tty Ideas come from.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2004, 01:14:04 PM »
The best sites for a general idea of sports rules are usually on the University Intramural sports sites. It sort of breaks things down.

Here is a site you can go to, and the rules cover most of the sports. They won't necessarily cover the points system the same way, but you can get an idea of what happens during play.

http://www.recsports.wisc.edu/intramurals/rules.htm

I used to work at Princeton University in Athletics. in the IM department.
Never hold Farts in. They travel up your spine and to your brain. This is where sh*tty Ideas come from.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 01:55:00 PM »
  [smiley=laugh4.gif] Thank you Saucywitch - i shall be busy swotting up on info and deciding which of the sports I prefer and like - lets leave picking teams until later, 

Jade

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2004, 02:11:23 PM »
 ;D Like I said, it gives you a general idea of the rules. LOL

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2004, 02:40:39 PM »
Hi Jadejada,

First, good luck with your upcoming move.  Where in Texas are you moving to? 

I've just returned to the US, Chicago, in Sept. (with Brit husband and my two dual nationality boys) and am still on the hunt for proper ole cheddar.  (I'm a BIG time cheeseaholic).  Some folks here on this forum gave me some excellent ideas for searching.  Check out the threads under food...

One of the funnest ways to get to understand baseball is by going to the games with friends.  It's a very socialable atmosphere.  Baseball is slow-moving enough that people can explain to you what's going on, all the while eating cracker-jack, hot dogs and beers!

No questions are dumb questions!  Moving to a different country is a huge step and everybody here understands that because we've all done it.

Keep us all posted on your progress! 

"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2004, 02:50:38 PM »
I agree with Kellie. Going to a game is great fun! I don't particularly like baseball, but the crowd really gets you into it. I also enjoyed watching a lot of the more drunk fams make absolute fools of themselves.

No question is dumb... Especially if you are going to be living in another culture. I still ask my hubby silly things, but to be honest, he knows NOTHING about sports. I know more than he does. But I do ask him where certain phrases dervided from. If he can't answer there is always my FIL. He is a wealth of information and knowledge.  :)

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 03:24:32 PM »
 [smiley=balloon.gif] Take me out to the ball- game !!!

Thanks guy's I will have to get Hubby to take me out to a ball game at the local High School first - then to a serious match.  Maybe I would be a bit closer to the action first time round.

I used to do sports when I was younger but I dont have time for it much now, but the one thing I would love to do again is to ride horses!! Now that would be a dream come true for me.  That and be able to get the hang of ordering smaller potions of foods in Deny's!!! :o

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 03:31:57 PM »
Jadejada, you just hit a topic close to my heart; horse riding.

I was very fortunate to ride a friend's horse for seven years in England.  I loved that horse and I cried my eyes out just before I left England.  I miss him sooooooo much.

Just last week, I checked out one of the stables nearby, and hopefully I'll be able to ride soon.

I'm sure in Texas, there are lots of places to ride.  Will you try Western? (have you ridden Western before?)  Or will you look for English riding?  What kind of riding did you used to do?
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 03:46:48 PM »
I was learning to ride side- saddle,  mostly in a paddock and some easy cross country trails, I loved the out door and the feeling of being protected from everything and being able to see so much, the mare I rode was so sweet and very good natured, I'm afraid of heights so just getting on a horse was an achievement but once I did it I really loved it.

This time I would like to try western - I dont think my spine is able to cope with side saddle any more  ;) getting old you know!!!

As a single mum in London with teenagers I dont have the time or finances to do it anymore.  Maybe in Texas when we get settled down and working a bit.

Jade

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 04:56:54 PM »
http://www.british-expats.com/phpBB/

Jade--
This is a great resource, as well.  It is the Brits in the USA equivalent of what we have going on here.  I browse through it quite often, esspecially now that we have decided to live state-side after we get hitched in the spring. 

BTW--you will love Dennys--the DF was in food heaven when I took him there.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2004, 05:34:12 PM »
Hi Jade, if you are still here next summer give me a shout - there are a few baseball teams in the London area and my husband is always keen to go to a game and he will be only too pleased to explain everything to you.   ;)

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2004, 10:34:47 PM »
Woohooo, going to Texas!

Jade - To which city or area are you going?

I lived in Austin before moving to London almost 3 mos. ago. I miss it!

You'll find some good bakeries for bread, don't worry! Stay away from the damn WalMart. Yecch!

If you're in Dallas, Houston Austin or San Antonio, you'll find some great supermarkets with sophisticated cheeses!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Cheese
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 04:01:17 PM »
Hi Kelli,

I am in Chicago and KerryGold, an Irish company has cheddar that is more like British cheddar (to my non-discerning taste-buds).   It is found at most supermarkets in Chicago (they make other dairy products as well) but Treasure Island has the most import foods.  I got my cheese at Trader Joe's in the city.  If you are not in Chicago proper, there are TJ's in the subs, and Dominicks or Jewel should have it too.  Perhaps you won't find it as close but it's worth a try.  It is not classic American cheddar.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 07:24:03 AM »
 ;) Thank you all!  Now I have even more to look forward too!.  I am heading for Houston and cant wait, hubby is here in london for Xmas and new year.   I may be here for spring - but summer is still up for grab.

Will touch base with eeryone soon.

Jade

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab