Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Fiance Visa/Getting Married in US or UK  (Read 1435 times)

• Liked: 0
Fiance Visa/Getting Married in US or UK
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:20:43 PM »
Hi, We will be applying for my fiance visa to join my partner in the UK, would it be better if we got married in the US and apply for a UK spouse visa? We will be applying for a fiance visa in March now that he's doing overtime he meets the financial requirement, how can we go about getting married in the US? What will he need to do on his part? Thank you

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:31:48 PM »
He doesn't need to do anything  to marry you in the US as long as he doesn't plan to live in the US after the wedding. He just comes in as a visitor without a visa, you get married and then apply for a spousal visa. You'll just need to check with your local court house what their procedure is for getting married.

A lot of people do it this way because it means one less visa to apply for (no need to switch from a fiancé visa to FLR(M) and you can work immediately on a spousal visa, while it's illegal to work in any capacity on a fiancé visa until you have received FLR(M).

Ultimately though, you should do whatever is best for your personal situation - for example, do you have specific reasons why you might wish to marry in either the US or UK (I.e. Dream location, certain family members who you want to attend but can't travel etc)? Do you wish to be able to work immediately when you move? Will it be cheaper for him to fly to the US for the wedding, or for you to get a fiancé visa?

Sent from my iPod using Tapatalk

Re: Fiance Visa/Getting Married in US or UK
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 09:46:40 PM »
He doesn't need to do anything  to marry you in the US as long as he doesn't plan to live in the US after the wedding. He just comes in as a visitor without a visa, you get married and then apply for a spousal visa. You'll just need to check with your local court house what their procedure is for getting married.

A lot of people do it this way because it means one less visa to apply for (no need to switch from a fiancé visa to FLR(M) and you can work immediately on a spousal visa, while it's illegal to work in any capacity on a fiancé visa until you have received FLR(M).

Ultimately though, you should do whatever is best for your personal situation - for example, do you have specific reasons why you might wish to marry in either the US or UK (I.e. Dream location, certain family members who you want to attend but can't travel etc)? Do you wish to be able to work immediately when you move? Will it be cheaper for him to fly to the US for the wedding, or for you to get a fiancé visa?

I thought he needed some kind of consent or marriage license to marry in the U.S. I believe we can marry at City Hall in New Yorl but I will have to check. Yes we do want to avoid the fiance visa as it will cost us more. We dont want to reside in the U.S

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 09:53:36 PM »
Yeah, as I said, you'll need to check what the requirements are for getting married in the state and county where you want to marry.... Same as if you were marrying a US citizen.

In terms of visas he doesn't need anything to marry in the US, but you will still have to go through the regular procedure that everyone has to go through to get married wherever you decide to in the US. For example, getting a marriage licence, or seeing if there's a waiting period before you can marry... That's something you'll need to look into yourselves as every state/city/county will have their own regulations.

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:13:49 PM »
Yeah, as I said, you'll need to check what the requirements are for getting married in the state and county where you want to marry.... Same as if you were marrying a US citizen.

In terms of visas he doesn't need anything to marry in the US, but you will still have to go through the regular procedure that everyone has to go through to get married wherever you decide to in the US. For example, getting a marriage licence, or seeing if there's a waiting period before you can marry... That's something you'll need to look into yourselves as every state/city/county will have their own regulations.

I found this recent post on google from 2013 and it states we will need an extended marriage license in order for it to be valid in the U.K. It did not mention he needed anything other than his British passport. I will be giving the City Clerks office a call for more enquires.  Thank you x

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:45:07 PM »
You don't need a special marriage license for your marriage to be valid in the UK.

• Liked: 387
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 11:54:31 PM »
The requirements for marrying in the US vary from state to state, and sometimes even between city to city within the same state.  If you know where you want to get married, call city hall and ask what their specific requirements are.  For example, one city may allow you to use the same form of ID as both proof of identity and age.  Another city may require separate proofs of ID and age.

As for a UK citizen being able to marry in the US, s/he is permitted to do so if s/he will not be remaining in the US to settle.  Bringing a print-out of the page linked to below may be helpful at immigration when your UK partner arrives in the US to demonstrate that you know the rules about marrying in the US and will not be breaking them.  Refer to the following:  

Note:  If you do not intend taking up indefinite residence in the United States but will continue to live and work abroad after the marriage ceremony you should apply for a B-2 visa, or if eligible travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program.

Emphasis mine.

http://london.usembassy.gov/immigrant-visas/marriage-to-a-u.s.-citizen.html

As long as you get a certified copy of your US marriage certificate from city hall, it will be accepted in the UK.

Edit:  Fixed formatting 
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 11:58:14 PM by Aquila »

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 03:48:05 AM »
I have a question in reference to the accomodation.  Im from the U.S so I wouldnt know this. If the house is rented by his dad not owned, what documents will we need to provide other than the land registry document? Do we need to prove it will not be overcrowded or can his dad just state this in the accomodation letter?

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 07:56:37 AM »
I have a question in reference to the accomodation.  Im from the U.S so I wouldnt know this. If the house is rented by his dad not owned, what documents will we need to provide other than the land registry document? Do we need to prove it will not be overcrowded or can his dad just state this in the accomodation letter?

If the house is rented, you don't provide ANY of those documents.

Instead, his father must provide:

- his original, signed tenancy agreement

- a letter from his landlord giving you and your husband permission to live in the house as well.

That's all you need.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:55:45 AM »
We got married at City Hall in NYC.  Easy peasy.  24 hours notice is needed.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 07:47:07 PM »
We got married at City Hall in NYC.  Easy peasy.  24 hours notice is needed.

KFdancer will you please message me how you went about with the process. We have only 3 months till we apply. Thank you x

• Liked: 6

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 08:56:32 AM »
It's all on the link Anonymiss provided.  Your fiancé needs to bring his passport, you your ID, copies of divorce papers if either married before.  You go and queue, then apply for the license.  Come back 24 hours and get married.  It's not by appointment.  All first come first served.  You need a witness.  We hired a photographer to be ours.

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 09:03:28 AM »
It's all on the link Anonymiss provided.  Your fiancé needs to bring his passport, you your ID, copies of divorce papers if either married before.  You go and queue, then apply for the license.  Come back 24 hours and get married.  It's not by appointment.  All first come first served.  You need a witness.  We hired a photographer to be ours.

Got it x thank you

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 11:03:28 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry to post on such an old thread. Perhaps I should start a new one? Just curious because that link about marrying on visa waiver has now vanished and I can't find anything anymore! Is it still OK to do this? I am planning to fly to the us to visit my partner for 2 weeks and get married whilst I'm there. I have contacted the local town office to ask all the questions re getting a licence and that's all fine. I just have to bring certain i.d and a witness and we must give 3 days notice. However I'm still
Not sure what to say at the border. I havent actually got a ring yet as we wanted to pick one together so don't look "engaged" as such and I am meeting my uk friends in New York to have a holiday before hand so wondering about saying I'm holidaying with friends as that's totally true. I just don't want to cause any hassle if its a grey area. I can't seem to find anything up to date! Thank you!

Sponsored Links