Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Any Americans near Basingstoke or Reading?  (Read 2465 times)

• Liked: 0
Any Americans near Basingstoke or Reading?
« on: January 02, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
Hey there! I would love to meet up with some Americans that are near Basingstoke or Reading or near those areas of Berkshire and Hampshire. All of my friends are my husband's friends and I would love to make some friends of my own.

Or has anybody lived near there before and have some tips about making friends in the area/events to go to?

• Liked: 111
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 06:13:15 PM »
My old stomping ground! I lived there straight from Texas when I was a fiancee, a new bride and one of my two sons was born there. Mind you, that was all 19 years ago and I'm pretty sure Reading has changed so much since then. I found it hard to meet people so I took the advice of many and started working as soon as I could. My workmates were kind enough to introduce me to their friends and their hobbies. I cheered on my workmates by attending their rugby matches, volunteering at the senior citizen's center, joined a restaurant group where once a month and we had to bring new people, etc... I stopped working when I had my second and third child so that was a little harder. I did take an Open University course and I had a study group that would meet once a week at a local pub. After a while, I got to learn from them about what to do and where to go and naturally, I made some friends. Plus, my husband's friends were a great resource for information. You could always ask them where they spend their free time and take it from there. Good luck

• 3 years and counting...
Re: Any Americans near Basingstoke or Reading?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »
Oh... I'm sad to say I JUST moved from down there!!  Was living in Lightwater (Near Bracknell) for the past 2.5 years! 
Oct 17, 11 - Submitted online application
Oct 21, 11 - Biometrics
Oct 28, 11 - Mailed documents (no priority)
Oct 31, 11 - FedEx delivered
Nov 1, 11 - Email saying documents opened and organized
Nov 4, 11 - Email saying needs further processing
Nov 8, 11 - Email saying visa issued!!!
Feb 14, 2012 - FLR issued!
Feb, 2014 - ILR issued!

• 30ish
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:04:52 PM »
I live in Wokingham, which is not too far from Reading.  I have lived here for almost two years and not made any new friends.  I have friends that I met when I was a student or from other expat postings, but none in my area.  We moved here for my husband's work, and he has had no problems making friends because his work is quite a laddish environment (he's a brewer), and he also travels quite a lot.

Meanwhile I'm stuck with our 3yo daughter, being bored.

Maybe I could stick my husband with the kid one weekend, and we could meet somewhere for coffee or lunch?  I like that Oracle mall in Reading...feels like home.  ;) Maybe that would be a good place for a meet up?

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 10:37:18 PM »
I'm in Basingstoke !

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 09:29:40 PM »
I'll be just north of Reading soon! DH has a new job and we are looking for a house in that area. Hoping to move over Easter break.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 09:44:51 PM »
Cool ! Let's meet ! :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:18:50 PM »
Little late to the party on this - sorry guys! I live in central Reading just now [will be moving to Yateley soon though, but will rent out our place there and still come in for nights out as it's not too far]. If you ever have meet ups or something, let me know! :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 114
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »
Let me preface this by saying I'm in neither Basingstoke, nor Reading.

However, I'm a member of a group of expats in the Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset area who get together on a regular-ish basis.  We do anything from games nights, to lunches/dinners out, to potluck events for the Fourth and Thanksgiving.  The vast majority of us are US/UK couples and most of our events tend to be in the Salisbury area as there are a number of us who live here.  That said, there are also quite a few who live in/around Basingstoke (who travel to Salisbury for events, mind) and many of us would be more than happy to travel for an event in that area.  We just haven't had one scheduled there yet!

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you're interested in meeting up with other people, I'm sure some of us would oblige (myself included)!

Likewise, if you are not opposed to the idea of travelling out this way for a meetup here or there, we always welcome new people. :)  I am constantly bugging strangers and asking them to join.  If you want any more info, just drop me a message.  We have a Facebook group, as well. :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 10:51:05 PM »
However, I'm a member of a group of expats in the Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset area who get together on a regular-ish basis.  We do anything from games nights, to lunches/dinners out, to potluck events for the Fourth and Thanksgiving.  The vast majority of us are US/UK couples and most of our events tend to be in the Salisbury area as there are a number of us who live here.  That said, there are also quite a few who live in/around Basingstoke (who travel to Salisbury for events, mind) and many of us would be more than happy to travel for an event in that area.  We just haven't had one scheduled there yet!

Salisbury is just slightly too far for me, but game night sounds amazingly fun!! If you are ever closer to the Berkshire area, definitely let me know! I would be very interested! :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links