Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is it just me or is Dr. Pepper different here??  (Read 15240 times)

• Liked: 0
Is it just me or is Dr. Pepper different here??
« on: January 05, 2015, 04:41:24 PM »
What I miss the most about the US is our variety of fountain drinks, but I swear that Dr. Pepper is just not the same here. Does anybody else agree on this? Is there a way to get U.S. Dr. Pepper?
UK Dr. Pepper just taste so fruity and strange.

• Liked: 3598
Re: Is it just me or is Dr. Pepper different here??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:02:02 PM »
It is different here. I'm British but I prefer the US version too (I think it's because the first time I ever tried Dr Pepper, it was in the US).

Most soft drinks are different (Coke and Pepsi taste different in the UK too), I think it's because in the US they are made with high fructose corn syrup, but in the UK they are made with sugar.

You may be able to find US Dr Pepper from online suppliers of American products, but it will probably be quite expensive as it will be imported.

For example:
https://americanfizz.co.uk/American-Soda-and-Drinks

http://www.americansoda.co.uk/dr-pepper-12-fl-oz-355-ml/

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:36:29 PM »
Thanks! I was a bit worried I was crazy!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:24:21 PM »
Alternatively, some stores that sell American products will have imported American sodas.  The Mrs. Simms' Sweets Shops near me sell American Dr. Pepper (and Root Beer, yay!) so that could be an option.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 19
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
One thing I have discovered recently, sadly, is that the Dr. Pepper produced in the UK is not made with pure sugar any more. They have started adding aspartame into the formula. If you notice on the cans it says 'new and improved', well that's what they've done. Many complaints have been logged on the Dr. Pepper UK Facebook page. I really miss the old Dr. Pepper made here because I thought it tasted better than what I got in the States. But now they've gone and messed it up with the aspartame. Tastes awful now, IMO. I may have to source an online seller for it, since I haven't been able to find any stores in Liverpool that have a good variety of American goods.
It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 11:53:45 PM »
One thing I have discovered recently, sadly, is that the Dr. Pepper produced in the UK is not made with pure sugar any more. They have started adding aspartame into the formula. If you notice on the cans it says 'new and improved', well that's what they've done. Many complaints have been logged on the Dr. Pepper UK Facebook page. I really miss the old Dr. Pepper made here because I thought it tasted better than what I got in the States. But now they've gone and messed it up with the aspartame. Tastes awful now, IMO. I may have to source an online seller for it, since I haven't been able to find any stores in Liverpool that have a good variety of American goods.

If they ever start using Aspartame with Irn-Bru I and many others will riot. I hope Barr will keep using pure sugar.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 02:02:59 PM »
What I miss the most about the US is our variety of fountain drinks

Check out the drinks machine at 5 Guys!  Something like 120 different flavours?

• Liked: 544
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 02:14:13 PM »
Ooh, is it one of those Coke one's where it's a touchscreen?
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »
Ooh, is it one of those Coke one's where it's a touchscreen?

Yep!
First time I went, I couldn't work out why there was such a long queue for drinks.  When my turn came, I could finally understand why!  So many choices!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 04:55:46 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 03:07:36 PM »
I haven't seen one of those machines in the UK yet, but they have one in Atlanta airport... we saw it there when we flew back from the US a few weeks ago :).

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 04:11:57 PM »
Those are really cool. I always wonder where are the syrups are kept! haha. I miss rootbeer... apparently they can't import it into the EU anymore because of something that's in it. All that's left is EU Mug and apparently it tastes fruity...

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 1903
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 03:16:28 PM »
Huh? There's tons of root beer at Tesco. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4993
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 03:28:30 PM »
Yep!
First time I went, I couldn't work out why there was such a long queue for drinks.  When my turn came, I could finally understand why!  So many choices!

My husband thinks they should have one machine for the kids and one for the adults.   :P

• Liked: 223
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »

The first time I used the touchscreen soda fountain at Five Guys, I just wanted water. :o

It took me a minute or two to figure it out (luckily, no queue formed behind me). ::)
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 07:43:43 PM »
Huh? There's tons of root beer at Tesco. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rootbeer from the US is banned from being imported into the EU because it contains Sodium Benzoate.

From a blog of an American Importer.
http://blog.americansoda.co.uk/2015/04/sad-day-aw-root-beer-discontinued/
The blog also lists a lot of other products that can no longer be imported because of sodium benzoate.

When I went to a US importer in the intu shopping centre in Derby in early October I was told the sad news. They were completely out of Barq's Rootbeer and were soon to be out of A&W as well and could not import any more. They did however have SmartFood white cheddar popcorn and it was AMAZING. I ate the whole bag in one night with a can of US Cherry Coke.

Sponsored Links