Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Calling from U.S. with U.S. mobile phone to UK mobile Phone  (Read 3108 times)

• Liked: 0
Calling from U.S. with U.S. mobile phone to UK mobile Phone
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:43:34 AM »

Hi guys.

I had posted a similar question recently about this but im still searching for an answer.
I need to travel to the states for one month and while there i want to be able to use my U.S.  mobile to call a UK mobile phone.
The problem with calling plans like 10-10-987 is that it only works if you are calling from a U.S. land line.
I do have a land line in the U.S. but i will be very busy and on the road most of the time so the only direct contact i can have with hubby in the UK is mobile to mobile.

We do not have a UK land line...only pay-as-you-go plan.

Please advise at your earliest as the trip is coming up in a few days and i will try and google any info online.

Thanks in advance.
Zufan
PS on second thought, best price tips on calling from U.S. landline to U.K. landline might be a good idea as i might have to utilize this method as well.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 01:29:43 AM by zufan »

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Calling from U.S. with U.S. mobile phone to UK mobile Phone
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 01:22:15 PM »
I would check out calling cards then - when I first moved over here I used calling cards and my mobile to make all my overseas calls...it wasn't the cheapest thing but it worked for me.  I think you can find mobile to mobile phone cards...I just did a little online research for mine.

• spiti mou spitaki mou
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 07:42:02 PM »
I used calling cards to call my bf on his mobile (from my mobile) when he was studying in the UK and I use them now that he is in the military. It is more expensive than calling a landline, but it works.

I used www.pinzoo.com at the time... I'm not sure what their rates are like now. I stopped using them because they doubled the cost to call Greece  :o  Now I use www.mobilecaller.com to call his Greek mobile, but they have rates for UK. I'm not sure how they compare, but might be worth looking into.

btw, I am in NO WAY affiliated with either company,  i've just spent a lot of time trying to find cheap phone cards  ::)

Kristen
« Last Edit: November 08, 2004, 07:50:52 PM by karpata »

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 08:17:55 PM »
I dont know if this will help at all but it may give you an idea of cost if nothing else. I live in UK but recently made a visit to the US with my UK mobile phone. The cost for me to place a call to the UK was 99p a minute with a £1.24 connection charge. My husband in the UK called me and we spoke for a half an hour and the call was £30.00! Plus the charge to my home phone as well. We havent gotten that bill yet. Text messages cost me 49p per text to send but nothing to receive. Sorry couldnt be more help
Ricki

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 09:21:11 PM »

Thanks you guys for that fast response.. really do appreciate it.
I will be re-searching all the tips.
This is the only thing i need to figure out before the trip this weekend.
thanks a mill.
Zufan

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 09:37:34 PM »
Me again...
I guess i will have to ask for you guys's advice again...
We will also need a phone card to call from UK to USA..
A lot of the sites i have checked out thus far are for calls from the US to other countries
thanks again
Z

• spiti mou spitaki mou
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 10:14:06 PM »
Well, it seems the website for mobilecaller isn't up right now. I did call my access number and entered my code and it was all still there, so hopefully the site is just temporarly down.  :-\\\\ This is the first time I've not been able to access their site.

As far as calling the U.S. from the UK - we didn't have much luck finding a good phone card. He did have a landline available to him that he was able to set up some sort of calling plan on that ended up being cheaper per minute. Not much help, I know.. Sorry..  :(

Altho, thinking about it, we probably spent more that way too..  we didn't have some nasty lady rudely interrupting our conversations with "YOU HAVE ONE MINUTE REMAINING!" (to which we'd have several polite replies  :-*) so we could just talk on and on and on  ::)

Good luck and have a safe trip :)

Kristen

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 08:24:35 AM »
Try this site...haven't used it but it looks interesting:

http://www.phonecardsavers.com/best_cell_rates.php?country_id=214

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 01:54:31 PM »

Thanks Onetiger and Karpata....

Onetiger i did check the url you suggested but it seems all the calls must originate from the USA...not UK.
I will continue to google more info.

You guys are great.
Zufan

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 05:16:21 AM »
I used to use a MCI or AT&T phone card to call.  It's usually 3 units a minute to call on the card and then you only pay the per minute charge on the mobile since it's an 800 number.   I found the cards in Walmart or other "big" stores to have the best rates. 

But something new we noticed.  DH was calling his DD's mobile in the UK from our US land line, we had a special $.03 minute plan, but BT tacked on an extra $.20/min charge for calling a mobile international.  Has anyone else be stuck with this charge??
Dream a dream of England .......... Some day

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 06:29:41 AM »
Always use a phone card if you're calling the UK from the US. I've found ones that charge just three cents a minute. NEVER use your parents' (or whomever's) phone and let it get charged to their long-distance company, unless you want to pay 3$300 for a 90-minute phone call. Prepaid phone card, prepaid phone card, prepaid phone card. It's not quite the same calling from the UK to the US--it's going to be even more expensive (as with most things in the UK). But we have some special rate with BT where it's only 5p a minute, so phone bills are never an issue.

• My Girl
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 09:19:19 AM »
My folks back in the states have a similar plan to BT's with their long distance carrier, Verizon.  For a flat rate of $4.00 a month, they can call me in the UK 24/7 for 8.5¢ per minute.  They call me only once or twice a month (more so now with the baby on the way), but this plan gives them the flexibility to call me whenever for even the simplest of things without having to worry about how much it will cost.  Only restriction - they have to call my land line or pay extra charges.

To the best of my knowledge, there are NO good international calling plans for US mobiles (to call the UK at least). 

Going with a UK mobile in the states may be the simplest option.  I checked out O2, and certain Pay Monthly plans come with an ITS feature that lets you call the UK (fixed lines only) from the US for £1.03 per minute (plus unspecified service charges).  Here is a link to the site:

http://http://www.o2.co.uk/personal/productsservices/travelling/worldwide/itsbusiness/0,,153,00.html

With this option, at least you would have the same phone number!
"He (Bush) says we are at war on terror, but that is a metaphor, though I doubt if he knows what that means. It's like having a war on dandruff, it's endless and pointless." - Gore Vidal

• I'm the US half/He's the UK
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 06:35:12 PM »
We use this for my husband's children to call us from the UK to the states. It can be used from a landline or mobile:

http://www.phonecard-services.co.uk/01_index.asp

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab