Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: We were thinking about moving to U.S., but.... spouse drug conviction :(  (Read 1535 times)

• Liked: 0
Hi all, this is my first post, so I will start off explaining our situation.  I am an American married to a UK citizen.  I have been living here since 2008 with an IRL, and we were toying with the idea of moving to the U.S. for an indefinite amount of time.  My parents are getting on in age a bit now, and although there are no serious health problems with either of them, it's something I have been thinking about lately.  My spouse has never lived there, but as we were looking into visa requirements, green cards, etc., we discovered the USA's disdain of criminal convictions.  It seems that you are deemed as inadmissible into the US if you have ever received any type of drug conviction, no matter what the drug, how long ago the conviction was, the circumstances, etc.  I had no idea that our American laws regarding immigration could be so draconian, and so I was slightly surprised to find all of this out. 

Basically in a nutshell, about 15 years ago my spouse was arrested on possession charges in the UK.  While in a nightclub a bouncer caught my British spouse with less than half a gram of cocaine (class A), and half a gram of weed.  They called the police, and my spouse was arrested and fined, and while no jail time was imposed, this obviously was a criminal offence.  My spouse has no other criminal convictions before or after, and has always had an extremely successful career, etc.  Just this one stupid mistake was made years ago.  Now from everything I have read and researched online, this will make a green card automatically denied.  There is no time frame that the US uses to deem someone rehabilitated (like the way Canada does if a conviction was 10 years or older), and the only loophole seems to be to gain a rehabilitation waiver, which is only available if a conviction was due to having 30g or less of marijuana!?!?  That's more than an ounce of weed!  It seems that even though my spouse had barely enough cocaine to get a small dog high, the US doesn't care whether or not it was half a gram, or half a kilo, and it basically considers this on par with someone who is distributing. 

My question revolves around whether or not there is someone here who has been in the same situation, and how it was received if you did try to sponsor your UK spouse for a green card.  We were considering consulting a US immigration attorney, but everything I have seemed to have read online seems to point to the fact that we are S.O.L. to put it bluntly and our hopes of moving back to the US are nil, just due to the fact that there is no grey area.  Thanks for reading!

• Amor Vincit Omnia
  • Liked: 0
Re: We were thinking about moving to U.S., but.... spouse drug conviction :(
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 05:20:45 PM »
I would contact a lawyer, I recently looked into bringing my fiance' to the US but due to the US laws-He's basically forever stuck from entering the US boarders. Don't feel defeated yet, look into US immigration attorneys and see if you can get a free consultation-some will offer them via skype
Met online: 2001
Lost contact: 2005-2010
Found me on Facebook: 12-26-10
Officially dating: 4-9-11
Met in person: 5-5-11 *stayed 3wks in UK*
Met 2nd time: 9-29-11 *stayed 2wks*
Proposed: 10-9
3rd visit: 5-27-12 *3wk stay*
4th visit: 3-28-13 *3wk stay*
5th Visit: 05-13 to 11-3 2014
Fiance' Visa: 2015

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
You might want to look at the forum www.britishexpats.com for information on the process of US immigration with a drug conviction.

I would urge you to apply for British citizenship before you leave for the US, otherwise a return would (probably) mean going through the ILR process all over again.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:51:31 AM »
You will need an attorney.  I had a Scottish coworker who was busted for a small amount of drugs when he was 15 or 16.  He was in his late 20s-early 30s when he was granted a US work visa.  He stayed here until his visa ended, and chose to return to the UK. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab