Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Not rinsing dishes?!?!  (Read 12050 times)

• Liked: 9
Re: Not rinsing dishes?!?!
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
I always wash all the coffee cups and glasses first, let them do most of their dripping in the drainer, then move them to a dish towel on the counter to finish drying. I was deep in thought earlier, while washing dishes. I ran out of mugs and glasses, so I started to move them to the towel. They were all sudsed up and I couldn't help think of this thread and laugh. I was so busy with my thoughts I didn't rinse any of them. I quickly fixed the problem and went on with the rest of the dishes.  ;D
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 85
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2016, 10:17:56 AM »
Never rinsed a dish in my life, I wash everything in hot soapy water and then dry with a tea towel and put it all away. No taste of soap, never been made ill, all my family and friends do the same. 

When I have a bath I like a good soak but I do not go on to have a shower after a bath just get dry and dressed..
 ;D
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 63
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2016, 09:12:24 AM »
Nearly 50 (yes 50) years ago, a friend told me that until she went to university, she thought she didn't like orange juice. Why? Because her mom put castor oil in it every single morning of her life.

When she found out how orange juice REALLY tasted, she loved it.

We didn't have a shower in my house when I was a child, and my first exposure to showers was at university in the 60's. Since that time I have never felt clean in the few times a bath was my only option.

Sometimes we need to change the habits of a lifetime, as only then do we notice the improvement.

Your mileage may vary.  ;)
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 85
« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2016, 02:09:12 PM »
Nearly 50 (yes 50) years ago, a friend told me that until she went to university, she thought she didn't like orange juice. Why? Because her mom put castor oil in it every single morning of her life.

When she found out how orange juice REALLY tasted, she loved it.

We didn't have a shower in my house when I was a child, and my first exposure to showers was at university in the 60's. Since that time I have never felt clean in the few times a bath was my only option.

Sometimes we need to change the habits of a lifetime, as only then do we notice the improvement.

Your mileage may vary.  ;)

Lived in the US for 10+ years, dishes were rinsed or washed in a dishwasher, never noticed any difference to not rinsing.. But each to their own.  I am maybe just old fashioned and don't like to waist water or energy so I am also one of the strange people who don't like or use a tumble dryer..  ;D ;D
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 533
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2016, 03:22:09 PM »
I am maybe just old fashioned and don't like to waist water or energy so I am also one of the strange people who don't like or use a tumble dryer..  ;D ;D

I take icy showers. I say to myself, "I am a warrior!"

Because in the end you are either a warrior, or you're not. 
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2016, 12:54:57 PM »
I actually decided to go ahead with this.

Just a little background, I like the idea of old-style callisthenics.....like old communist videos of a mass of people dressed in utilitarian grey sweatsuits doing star jumps. They always look happy (though I wonder).

Anyhow, my plan was to take a purely cold shower, saying, "I am a warrior!" - and then hop out, dry off with a stiff, radiator-dried towel and then do some star jumps and deep knee bends and such to warm up.

I have decided now to build up to it gradually....
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 111
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »
Sonofasailor--My Dad used to actually do that! He wasn't Russian but Mexican. Lol He was born in 1936 in a rural area in Mexico (too small to be a village). They didn't get running water until 1970 and electricity until 1971 so he used to tell me his childhood was "cold". Although he had moved to the US in 1960, he always took cold showers and would be doing weird calisthenics in his bedroom to warm up. He would do those exercises outside on a cold day too. My neighbors didn't think he was a "warrior" but a nut! Strangely, he took cold showers and hardly ever put on the heat but when his beloved microwave went on the blink, he went bonkers! I miss the crazy nutty man :)

• Liked: 9
« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2016, 01:46:23 AM »
I take icy showers. I say to myself, "I am a warrior!"

Because in the end you are either a warrior, or you're not.

I am not. I am a first class, grade A weenie.  ;D I am okay with lukewarm showers in the summer, but in winter I want them hot. I'm not sure I could even build to it slowly.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2016, 02:47:47 PM »
So I've been following this thread since the start with varying degrees of interest (and horror!).

I think we've established that we come in two varieties;

a-Non Rinsers (notably, mainly British)
b-Rinsers (almost exclusively the US contingent)

I am British and I am a Rinser...a rare breed?    In the interests of full disclosure though I should mention that I lived in the US for a little more than 20 years, so it may have rubbed off on me there. Honestly though, I can't remember ever not rinsing.

I don't know why, but I had a few dishes in the sink this morning and I thought to myself...what if I just don't rinse?  Can it be so bad not to, if (seemingly) the entire population of the UK don't?  I mean, really, what's the worst that can happen?

Well I took a bowl out of the dishwater, put it straight in the rack without rinsing and I had (I'm not exaggerating here) an almost physical reaction in terms of the level of stress that I felt.  It just felt SO wrong!

I will continue to rinse but at least now I know how it feels to me not to! ;D

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2016, 03:21:04 PM »
Well isn't there some science behind it? Aren't there some chemists here? I think there is some quantum stuff going on at elemental level.....bubbles forming.....something...

I read that what soap does is "capture" and "surround" the oils and particles. It doesn't make them go away, just encapsulates them so that they are then rinsed away easier.

But without the rinse....the stuff stays on the plate. Unless it drips off, or is absorbed into granny's tea rag. Which is probably manky anyhow. I think whole ecosystems evolve in those tea rags....little kingdoms and empires rising and falling...

I had a peak at ISO standards...and at the Food Standards Agency website....but rinsing, oddly doesn't seem to be of much concern. Water temperature seems to be key. At least from a food safety standpoint...

• Liked: 223
« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2016, 03:23:02 PM »
I am British and I am a Rinser...a rare breed?

DH is British and a rinser (and he's never lived in the US).

That makes at least two of you. You're not totally alone. ;)

Our old (British) flatmate was a non-rinser. DH and I were quite bothered by that, but even more so by the fact he would never wash the bottoms of plates or bowls, even if they'd be stacked on other dirty dishes. ???
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 47
« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2016, 03:36:56 PM »

DH is British and a rinser (and he's never lived in the US).

That makes at least two of you. You're not totally alone. ;)

Our old (British) flatmate was a non-rinser. DH and I were quite bothered by that, but even more so by the fact he would never wash the bottoms of plates or bowls, even if they'd be stacked on other dirty dishes. ???

One of my old housemates who's British is a rinser. We used to commiserate about the rest of the house not rinsing. So there's 3 of you! :)

My husband is now a rinser but only because I am so grossed out by not rinsing. Since my mother in law has a dishwasher it took me a long time to figure out whether she rinses or not--she doesn't.

Some of our old housemates didn't wash the bottoms of plates either. And then they got stacked on clean plates. It was a never ending source of rage and passive aggression for me.

My husband and I have matte finish dishes now so it's super obvious if you don't wash them well and leave grease on hem. I love this because I've expended a ton of energy getting my husband to wash dishes up to my standard. :P so it's really satisfying being able to clearly see whether something is clean or not. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 73
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2016, 03:12:10 AM »
Not being able to sleep at 3am, I migrated from the visas forum to this one! Fascinating! Anyway, definitely a Brit rinser here! Cannot remember ever doing otherwise.
Married 1966, left UK 1969, returned 1998, left again 2000, returned June 2014 (husband on spousal visa) granted FLR(M) November 30th 2016  and ILR on  24th May, 2019. Yeah!

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2016, 05:21:13 AM »
Anyway, definitely a Brit rinser here! Cannot remember ever doing otherwise.

Four!  ;)

• Liked: 68
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2016, 12:58:02 PM »
Can't believe I am only just seeing this thread! Thought I was the only one dealing with a fiancé (British) who doesn't rinse. I HATE it, and usually end up having to re-wash some dishes that still have a greasy feel. And he says is "intrigued" how I do dishes because I am "wasting so much water" when I do them. At least I know they are squeaky clean when I do them :-P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab