Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dreaded Tax Question  (Read 1282 times)

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
  • Liked: 0
Dreaded Tax Question
« on: February 25, 2015, 01:57:43 PM »
So DH is the US (now Dual  ;D) Citizen and we are thinking of starting the process at the end of March.  We will be using DCF.

He has never filed a US tax return since he got here (not sure he even did it before he got here, but hopefully that's beside the point).  He is self employed here and has filed a UK tax return every year he has been here.

We know that we will need to file his past 3 yrs tax returns and i will continue to admonish him for not filing them to date...

So, my question:  Do we need to have this done before we do the I-130 or is it required for the I-864?

It's not a problem either way, it's just a matter or knowing the order of things...

Thanks for any help
C

• Liked: 3
Re: Dreaded Tax Question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 02:59:39 PM »
Hi,

Unfortunately, I won't be of much help, but I just wanted to share our similar experience.  We are actually going through the exact same process at the moment.  I am the USC, but I will get dual-citizenship this summer.  We started the Green Card process for my husband (UKC) over a year ago, so we are a little further down the line in the process than it seems you are.

I can tell you that you definitely do not need your tax info for the petition.  We filed the I 130 ages ago and (like your husband) I have not filed US taxes since I've arrived in the UK three years ago.  We have finished the DS 260 as well, and I can tell you that you do not need tax info for that either.

However, our next step is sending off the "applicant readiness for interview" form and then attending the interview.  Tax documents are listed as being a document you need for interview.  My problem is that I haven't made enough money to be required to file US taxes for the past three years.  I have been told that I simply need to put this in writing in lieu of back-filing the taxes and then only file for the current year.

It would be great if someone else could jump in with their experience as I am unsure if the info I got was correct.  I might just back-file to be on the safe side.  There is an IRS division of the US embassy in London where you can get info (they are the ones that told me to just file the most recent year, but that is because I didn't make enough the previous two).  They have a phone service from 9am to noon Monday-Friday at 0207 894 0476, but I think the division might be closing soon if they haven't already.  Also, I have e-mailed the London embassy on several occasions and they are really helpful.  Good luck with filing.

Kathryn

• Because he's a surfer and i'm a scot!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Dreaded Tax Question
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 09:03:30 AM »
Thanks Kathryn

Good to hear someone else's experience, especially since our situations are so similar.  We are, thankfully, in a position to file the taxes financially but I have never done it before and am dreading starting it!  I'm hoping it turns out to be less complicated than I imagine.

So we will go ahead with the I-130 and take it from there. If I get any relevant feedback or advice during the process I will share.

Good luck with your application.
C

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab