Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Health care and banking question  (Read 1684 times)

• Liked: 0
Health care and banking question
« on: March 06, 2015, 06:57:18 AM »
I know these questions have been asked before, but my search only resulted in dated information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have duel citizenship having lived in the UK for 13 years. I am moving back to America in June without my husband.

1) I am on medication. What are the best options for me to continue to get my meds once in the US?

2) I will have over £60,000 to transfer into US dollars. What is the most efficient way to do this? I do not have a US bank account at this time.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

• Liked: 12
Re: Health care and banking question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 06:14:02 PM »
You're going to need health insurance (ACA) -- it will depend on which state you will be living in.  Will you have a job?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 12:20:18 PM »
No job at first. Going through divorce so my lovely daughter has convinced me to take some time off before hitting the job market. I will be moving to Oregon in April. I know there has been a lot of changes in health care with obama's plan but know nothing about it. 13 years feels like such a long time and so many changes to get up to speed with. 

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 07:55:44 AM »
Oregon has an exchange:  http://www.healthinsurance.org/oregon-state-health-insurance-exchange/

Sounds a little dodgy though  ???
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 07:57:51 AM by BostonDiner »
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Liked: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 12:39:20 AM »
I think this may be Oregon's state exchange:

https://www.coveroregon.com/

Oregon may be different but in Massachusetts the insurance companies participating in the exchange sell the same policies directly from their web sites at the same prices: you only need to go through the exchange to get subsidies (if you meet the income thresholds).

There is more documentation required for going through the exchange to verify your ID for subsidy purposes.   This can make the application take longer.   This is the list of participating insurers in Oregon

https://www.coveroregon.com/participating-insurance-companies/

Like I said you might be able to apply to one directly if you earn more than the thresholds for subsidies.   IF you want subsidies you must go through coveroregon.com (which redirects to healthcare.gov)

I wish you the very best of luck.  The ACA means you WILL be able to buy insurance and the premiums will be "affordable", but it's still a complex and time consuming process.   I expect you'll purchase travel insurance to tide you over the period while you're moving before your US health insurance takes effect ?

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 07:03:21 AM »
Thank you for all the health care information! Lots of reading.

Any suggestions on the banking one?

• Liked: 6
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 11:18:55 AM »
I have heard that some of the large international banks (citi, hsbc) will open multi-currency accounts, but I can't be sure.   I'd try the branch of a US bank (probably only in London).   Citi, Bank of America etc.

Sponsored Links