Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Biometric Residence Permits  (Read 8233 times)

• Liked: 342
Biometric Residence Permits
« on: April 15, 2015, 06:31:45 PM »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/418271/v_9_overseas_BRP_leaflet.pdf

March 2015

Page 5

"When will I receive my biometric residence permit?

If you are successful in your application for leave to enter the UK for more than six months you will receive a biometric residence permit upon arrival in the UK.

How do I travel to the UK without my biometric residence permit?

Successful applicants will be issued with a vignette in their passport which is valid for 30 days from the date you indicated as your intended travel date in your visa application. The vignette is proof only of your permission to enter the UK and will allow you to travel to the UK. If you do not travel to the UK within this 30 day period, your visa will expire and you will need to apply for another 30 day visa. You will have to pay a fee for this.

Your full leave conditions are contained on your biometric residence permit which you must collect on arrival in the UK.

How do I obtain my biometric residence permit upon arrival in the UK?

You must collect your biometric residence permit within 10 days of arrival in the UK from the Post Office branch detailed in your decision letter. If you do not collect your BRP within 10 days of arrival in the UK you may be subject to a financial penalty or cancellation of your leave."

• Liked: 4985
Re: Biometric Residence Permits
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 07:28:13 PM »
Is this for entry visas from outside the UK (spouse, Tier 2, Tier 4., etc.)?  Or if you lose your BRP and need to re-enter the UK?

• Liked: 47
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 08:28:46 PM »
This seems like an awful lot of extra cost and hassle that isn't going to solve any problems. Bit of a weird thing to introduce I think.  Sirius, do you know what their objective was with this?
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »
Is this for entry visas from outside the UK (spouse, Tier 2, Tier 4., etc.)?  Or if you lose your BRP and need to re-enter the UK?

There is this too

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence-permits/overview

Overview

You must have a biometric residence permit (BRP) if you want to:

apply to come to the UK
    apply to extend your visa or settle in the UK
    transfer your visa to a new passport
    apply for certain Home Office travel documents

You don’t have to apply separately for a BRP. You’ll give your personal data when you make your visa or immigration application.

What’s on your BRP

Your BRP will include:

your name, date and place of birth
    your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your ‘biometric information’)
    your immigration status and any conditions of your stay
    whether you can access public funds (eg benefits and health services)

You can use your BRP to confirm your:

identity
    right to study or work in the UK
    right to any public services or benefits you’re entitled to

Your BRP will be sent to you by post if you’re making your immigration or visa application from inside the UK. If you apply from outside the UK you’ll have to collect it from a Post Office in the UK.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 09:34:56 PM »
This seems like an awful lot of extra cost and hassle that isn't going to solve any problems. Bit of a weird thing to introduce I think.  Sirius, do you know what their objective was with this?

In large letters on that first link it has "Securing our Border Controlling Migration".

They seemed to be linked to the new law Immigration Act 2014 and much of what that stopped to make it very hard for those who aren't legal in the UK.

They will be used to show you can have free NHS instead of being refused or billed. They can be used to open a bank account. They will need to be shown at the border with your passport when entering into the UK and out of the UK (the new exit checks). These cards will make it easier for employers to check to avoid the new massive fines if they employ those who are not allowed to work and make it easier for legal migrants to show they are allowed to work.

As that new law now stops illegals having UK driving licences or removes their UK driving licence if they overstay, I assume these cards can be used for the DVLA? Perhaps for people to show landlords to prove they have legal status in the UK, although landlords' have been provided with a checking service if they are unsure of the persons status.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:57:41 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 47
Biometric Residence Permits
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 07:00:25 AM »
In large letters on that first link it has "Securing our Border Controlling Migration".

They seemed to be linked to the new law Immigration Act 2014 and much of what that stopped to make it very hard for those who aren't legal in the UK.

They will be used to show you can have free NHS instead of being refused or billed. They can be used to open a bank account. They will need to be shown at the border with your passport when entering into the UK and out of the UK (the new exit checks). These cards will make it easier for employers to check to avoid the new massive fines if they employ those who are not allowed to work and make it easier for legal migrants to show they are allowed to work.

As that new law now stops illegals having UK driving licences or removes their UK driving licence if they overstay, I assume these cards can be used for the DVLA? Perhaps for people to show landlords to prove they have legal status in the UK, although landlords' have been provided with a checking service if they are unsure of the persons status.

I mean, after getting the card, I suppose it's more convenient than using your passport and visa sticker for all these things. But right now that how everyone without a BRP gets checked for all those things you listed. So it's not like those check weren't already in place. I had to use my passport and visa sticker for opening my bank account, getting my job, registering with the GP, etc.

I'm not arguing with you on the issue, of course. I'm really just a bit amused that in a government that constantly spouts austerity they would introduce something like this which is surely more costly what with issuing the BRP's to post offices and picking them up and such.
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »
The part that surprised me most was the 30 day part.  Does that mean spouse visa recipients will only have 30 days to move versus the 90 they have now?

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 09:44:55 AM »
It appears that you are still not required to transfer your old style vignette to a new passport. You can still travel with your old passport and the visa plus your new passport if you have ILR, for instance.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:51:09 AM by geeta »

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »
The part that surprised me most was the 30 day part.  Does that mean spouse visa recipients will only have 30 days to move versus the 90 they have now?

If their plans went awry with the day they wanted their visa to start, they could visit and collect? Apply again for another 30 days to collect?

That first entry visa is still 33 months which would mean that 90 days to avoid paying for another visa and health surcharge, is still available. Unless they moved to the UK and didn't collect their BRP within the set time and their visa was cancelled?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:22:19 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »
I mean, after getting the card, I suppose it's more convenient than using your passport and visa sticker for all these things. But right now that how everyone without a BRP gets checked for all those things you listed. So it's not like those check weren't already in place. I had to use my passport and visa sticker for opening my bank account, getting my job, registering with the GP, etc.

From that link, perhaps it is being done to stop fraud? The BRP will hold all their information, such as fingerprints.

It's only part of the system as the rest is aimed at EU citizens who shouldn't be in the UK as they aren't a qualified person. Aimed at those EU citizens and their family who use the NHS for free when they should pay as only the EU citizen who is in work in the UK can have free NHS for all their family. Their time as a jobseeker in the UK is limited to 3 months. None of that working will affect those who are Irish citizens who live in the UK as Ireland has a special agreement with the UK.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:06:04 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
From that link, perhaps it is being done to stop fraud?

Is this a suggestion that false documents were being used? Fake passports? This is the supposed problem?

And isn't it true that most of the non payment problems associated with EU citizens using the NHS attributable to poor billing/payment practices at national level?   
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 12
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
I don't get it.  I happened upon this:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/418544/BRP_International_Rollout_Schedule_v2.pdf

which makes it seem they want the whole world (except Brits) to have these cards.  In the second rollout they've listed ROI and pretty much all the rest of EEA.  Have I missed something?  How does an EEA migrant get the BRP if they don't need an actual visa?
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 05:24:22 PM »
How does an EEA migrant get the BRP if they don't need an actual visa?

That not needing an actial visa, is only good for 30 days. That is all the time EEA citizens can be in/visit, another EEA country.

After that, to stay (have a right to reside in that EEA country) we have to be a qualified person; in work in that country, self employed (both of these types must earn a set amount each week to be a qualified person), looking for work in that country (limited to 3 months to remain a qualified person); self sufficient (arrive with thousands of savings or a guaranteed income) or student. Some qualified persons can claim free healthcare and welfare from that EEA country and others can't have anything form that EEA country.

Any dependants they bring with them only get what their EEA citizen can have i.e. if the EEA citizen lost the right to reside in that EEA country as they are no longer a qualified person then their dependants lose that right to reside too.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:39:58 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 12
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 05:38:22 PM »

After that, to stay (have a right to reside in that EEA country) we have to be a qualified person; in work in that country, self employed (both of these types must earn a set amount each week to be a qualified person), looking for work in that country (limited to 3 months to remain a qualified person); self sufficient or student. Some qualified persons can claim free healthcare and welfare from that EEA country and others can't.

Yes, I know.  But there is no visa application procedure for all that -- it's "exercising rights".  What I mean is those applying for visas from US (or other non-EEA countries) will get this notification about BRP which they then get done on entry.  So how does that work for EEA citizens?
You have to present a letter from Home Office to get BRP done at a post office.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:43:13 PM by BostonDiner »
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
Yes, I know.  But there is no visa application procedure for all that.

I'm not sure they are for EEAs, although that is what your link said, including for RoI. There seems to be much stricter rules coming in for EEAs anyway under EU law, that means they can easily be deported and banned. Linked to that?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 05:58:35 PM by Sirius »

Sponsored Links