Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Federal jobs and security clearance  (Read 697 times)

• Liked: 0
Federal jobs and security clearance
« on: July 16, 2015, 10:43:55 PM »
So here's something that has been bothering me for a long time: Federal jobs and security clearance of dual citizens or US citizens that are spending or have spent time abroad.

I hold two passports because it is legal to do so in both countries where I'm from. If it were illegal, I would renounce one, but I don't need to or want to renounce any if the law allows it.

So because I live in the EU, obviously it is easier to work and travel on my EU passport. Just like it's easier to go to the states and work there on my US passport.

However I have found out many years ago that I cannot work in many federal agencies of the United States even though I'm a US born US citizen, registered for selective service and report all my tax returns to the dollar like a law abiding citizen. Why ?? Because many federal jobs require security clearance; that is form SF-86, have a look. This is a over 100 page form which requires to be filled out if you want to be admitted into a high paying job within the federal government. You have to list all your nationalities, foreign passports, where you travelled on them, all your foreign contacts, foreign friends, foreign family, everything foreign. Even if it were possible for me to remember and list all my foreign relations and places I've been in the little amount of space that is given to write it out I would only be denied. Maybe that's OK for my case, I guess I'm too much of a globe trotter to be allowed around confidential government data and many other governments have similar processes...but in the case of the US it is borderline absurd. I've seen federal jobs as forest rangers which require security clearance. I've read the amount of cases of US dual citizens appealing their security clearance denials has only risen over the years in an ever increasing globalised world. 

Maybe a time will come when the US changes it's admission process from one based on "you're too foreign" to a more trust based one. Most top paid federal officials must be american through and through, whatever that means. Unless they are native american they are also foreigners, just like me. We are all foreigners and I'll continue to exercise both my passports and be friends with people from all continents.

The absurdness and frustration of this is a bit like the one of the under 21 yr old US citizen who has been through combat but is still too young to have a beer at bar with his friends. A veteran who can't drink a beer, how sad is that.

So US citizens abroad, unless you already work for the federal government, good luck trying ! I'd be happy to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks. Robert.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:46:11 PM by robertUSA »

• Liked: 4990
Re: Federal jobs and security clearance
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 09:02:02 AM »
I used to hold US security clearances and am well aware that I will never be able to hold them again.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest.  I have no issue with this at all.  I knew things and I completely understand why they want there to be no issue with "which side" your loyalty lies.

My husband has recently obtained UK security clearances.  Zero interviews with him or me.  No bother that he has a foreign wife (not to mention one who used to hold a clearance), etc.  I find it shocking!  I actually prefer the US way.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 12:23:58 AM »
Or at least a middle ground - didn't the head of MI5 get into trouble in the past few years because his wife's facebook account was open for anyone to view?

The US is crazy serious with their checks - my mom was a secretary at one of the federal agencies in the 70s and someone came in person to her small town to interview all of her former teachers and bosses.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 07:11:07 PM »
testing loyalty is a difficult subject, but I think a middle ground will soon have to be reached. The US will not be tapping into the real talent pool, which is ever more international, if it does not leave its paranoia behind.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:14:10 PM by robertUSA »

Sponsored Links