Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How did you meet your spouse?  (Read 15267 times)

• Liked: 0
How did you meet your spouse?
« on: November 11, 2004, 05:55:46 AM »
I'd love to be friends with/date (marriage is a serious proposition!) a Brit.... but I haven't found a place to actually MEET same.  I am NOT looking to marry just to move to the UK; I just like the interests and culture.  I find it interesting that there are many websites for mail order brides for guys, but no dating-oriented sites that I've found that are able to handle trans-Atlantic requests.

If this is in the wrong thread, please move it or let me know where it should be!

• Banned

• Damn it, Spock, breathe!
Re: How did you meet your spouse?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 06:12:39 AM »
You shouldn't be looking for a partner simply because of the country he/she comes from. As anyone here can tell you, it's not a fairy-tale story. Being interested in the British accent, or literature, or comedy, what have you, is a ludicrous reason to seek a British partner. Your life will remain much less complicated if you appreciate the American men around you. At best, you sound whimsical. At worst, ditsy.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 09:00:54 AM »
To answer your question, snowbunny - check out the Expat Life section.  There's a topic at the top about how some of our relationships began.  It's very entertaining (and romantic!) reading.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 10:18:32 AM »
Snowbunny,

My friend met some gusy through match.com type thing but the UK version. 

I think you can be attracted to whomever you wish.  I like guys with dark hair and blue eyes.  I dated blondes but wound up with a guy with dark hair and blue eyes. 
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 10:28:52 AM »
Heh, when I was younger I used to dream of marrying a British guy...

In the end, I stumbled over mine in a comic book chat room.  ::)  I wasn't there for lurve, but I sure found it.  ;D
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 10:36:03 AM »
Oh, I openly admit it was the English accent.  I was a goner when I heard it, plus he was different ,into cool music, wore wool sweaters, said things like 'lovely' and 'actually', smoked roll ups, lurved my slightly eccentric family, had read every book I'd ever heard of.  It was his Englishness that attracted me.  Without a doubt. 

I say go for.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 10:40:35 AM »
yeah go for it Snowbunny what have you got to lose? have a look at the other threads about how we met our spouses - lots were online. Are there any English style pubs where you live? That might be a place to start

good luck!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 10:46:51 AM »
i was ignoring my husband, watching the crowd in new orleands until i heard his drop dead sexy voice.

i was a gonner after that.  something about the way he croons darling that gets me EVERY TIME.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 10:51:40 AM »
i was ignoring my husband, watching the crowd in new orleands until i heard his drop dead sexy voice.

i was a gonner after that. something about the way he croons darling that gets me EVERY TIME.

That's the word that gets me, too - "darling."

I just swoon...... :D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2004, 10:53:53 AM »
OH!  My husband doesn't say that.  He won't grow his sideburns slightly longer either.  Damnit. 

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2004, 10:56:05 AM »
omg...daaaaaaaling.

*sigh*  i want to call him just to hear it.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »
The only thing I can like of when I hear darling is that Country song, "and you don't have to call me Darlin, darlin...." by David Allen Coe (I think).... 

My DH does not use it or any of those other typically british words like love ect.. he makes up his own!
The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

• Liked: 2
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2004, 03:38:01 PM »
I knew I wanted to be with a Britishman since I was 18 years old. And yes, I made it happen....not saying it was successful as we're now divorced  ::) but I won't give up on the species!
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• : Anglophile/Jersey Girl :
    • el yeoj
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2004, 08:08:53 PM »

i was a gonner after that.  something about the way he croons darling that gets me EVERY TIME.

I'm practically salivating at the thought of someone saying that...I can only imagine what you must "go through!"   ;)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
-Albert Einstein

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2004, 08:20:54 PM »
www.kiss.com - they had a Brit and American clientelle and I used them for just that reason. I see nothing wrong with loving the culture and wanting to meet someone who is a part of it. That's my story - loved the culture, was coming over to do my Masters and wanted desperately to meet a Brit guy (having had very, very poor luck with Americans who didn't particularly appreciate my love of footy and bands like Turin Brakes!)

It was fate that I met Jamie. And I thank my lucky stars everyday that I logged on with the specific intention of meeting a Brit boyfriend (now husband).  ;)

Sponsored Links