Sponsored Links

Topic: Separating from my husband and moving back alone...help!  (Read 1003 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • *
  • Posts: 305

  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: Jul 2011
  • Location: USA
Separating from my husband and moving back alone...help!
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while so I hope its okay to come back for advice after not reading the forums for so long...

I have kind of a tough situation right now and I'm hoping to get some advice, regardless of what people think personally about my situation...

To make a long story short, I (US citizen) came to the UK to marry my British husband ~3 years ago. I have gone through a lot of homesickness and depression here and along with my relationship breaking down I decided its time to leave. Unfortunately after much discussion and endless attempts to fix our relationship and make things work, we decided to separate for a while and I am going back to the US alone. We have decided not to jump into a divorce right away but to see how things go and take it from there. My visa expires in September, and I will leave the country before it expires.

I have a few questions.

-Do I just get on a plane and leave? Do I have to notify the UK officials that I am leaving or will they see on their systems that I got on a flight and left?

-When I arrive in the US, is it as simple as telling them I am separating from my husband and moving back? Are they going to find my story strange and detain me or something? Are they going to ask a lot of questions? Do I need to notify them before I go back?

-How will this effect my future, in terms of IF my husband and I decided to get back together and live in the US or the UK? Would I have problems getting a visa again, would he have problems moving to the US on a visa?

-Once I go back to the US and start looking for jobs, getting a car, going back to my bank, school, ect, how does it work in terms of what do I say I am, single? separated? We haven't registered our marriage in the US, so should I do that or no? I'm really confused about this....

Thanks and I appreciate any input or info anyone can give me!

  • *
  • Posts: 16019

  • Liked: 3833
  • Joined: Jun 2012
  • Location: Wokingham
Re: Separating from my husband and moving back alone...help!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:30:11 PM »
Awww, I'm sorry to hear this.  Hugs!

Technically, after you leave the UK, your husband should notify the UKVI of the breakdown of the marriage to cancel your current visa.  As your current visa expires in a matter of weeks, I don't think it'll be a big deal if he doesn't notify them.

You don't need to say anything at all to the US officials.  You are a citizen and allowed to enter the country.  Chances are they'll stamp your passport and say "welcome home."  That's if you even see anyone at all.  It's pretty automated now.  They don't need to know, or care, that you may be moving back permanently.

If you and your husband work things out and want to remain married, you would need to re-start the UK visa application or start a US visa application.  These things happen.  You wouldn't be the first, and you won't be the last.  Having separated for a while is not going to count against you.  Just be up-front and honest in any applications and you'll be fine (providing you meet the requirements to sponsor one another).

I would answer "married" on anything, as you are until you divorce.  If only there was a box that said, "it's complicated."   :D

Best of luck to your future!

  • *
  • Posts: 42

  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: Feb 2014
Re: Separating from my husband and moving back alone...help!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:23:56 PM »
if you had UK income, tell the HMRC that you are leaving. You may get a tax refund and it will sort out your pension status. If you paid into a pension, you can claim it from the UK when you are old, if you remember.


The US has to allow you back into the US if you are a US citizen, it's the law. If they ask questions it's nothing to do with your eligibility to enter the country but just for verification/security purposes.

Sponsored Links