Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Sick of hearing about how Americans are stupid  (Read 2802 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Sick of hearing about how Americans are stupid
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
I was just discussing how much it irked me when people say "Americans are blahblahblah....but not you!! of course I didn't mean you!"  so really funny to see this topic come up! I will NEED to check out this blog haha
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 10:39:33 PM »
I was just discussing how much it irked me when people say "Americans are blahblahblah....but not you!! of course I didn't mean you!"  so really funny to see this topic come up! I will NEED to check out this blog haha

I've gotten the "I typically can't stand American people but you're great" comment tons of times since being here. I have no idea what to say to that so I just ignore it. Glad to know I'm not alone!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 09:30:24 AM »
I've gotten the "I typically can't stand American people but you're great" comment tons of times since being here. I have no idea what to say to that so I just ignore it. Glad to know I'm not alone!

The obvious response is "What a coincidence, because I find most British people objectionable, present company excepted, of course".

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »

My favourite is seeing articles Metro post on Facebook relating to the US and seeing all the negative comments flood in. You can tell those that either:

A. don't really know an American
B. have never actually been to the US
C. both of the above.

They are the ones that are literally just regurgitating stereotypes they've heard of or seen on TV. It's excellent.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2015, 09:20:33 PM »
I'm sure a lot of you expats have met several people in Britain who claim to have a "mate who's been to America" and this fictional "mate" of theirs has told them they saw people getting shot and people riding horses with cowboy hats on and everyone lived in McDonalds and didn't know the way to Amarillo.

That's how they cover their ignorance by claiming it was a "mate" who told them this information. If you ask them "Who's your mate then?" they'll probably tell you it's this bloke:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TefIxw438FI[/youtube]

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:22 AM »
I'm sure a lot of you expats have met several people in Britain who claim to have a "mate who's been to America" and this fictional "mate" of theirs has told them they saw people getting shot and people riding horses with cowboy hats on and everyone lived in McDonalds and didn't know the way to Amarillo.

That's how they cover their ignorance by claiming it was a "mate" who told them this information. If you ask them "Who's your mate then?" they'll probably tell you it's this bloke:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TefIxw438FI[/youtube]

hahahah this is absolutely brill!
My, how time flies....

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Just to make you all feel a lot better....

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp57NN1n8Kw[/youtube]

Mexico. It's part of the US whether you like it or not! :P

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab