Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cancelling cell phone contracts in the US  (Read 827 times)

• Social Worker in a Strange Land
  • Liked: 0
Cancelling cell phone contracts in the US
« on: November 12, 2004, 05:02:56 PM »
Hi,
I am hoping someone can give me a tip....I am trying to cancel my mobile phone contract here in the US before I move over to England.  The company (cingular) is telling me that I have to pay $10 per month left in my contract (about $100).  Does anyone know of any legal loophole/rights that should get me out of my contract since I am moving to another country!!! Thanks!
"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." --Miriam Beard

Re: Cancelling cell phone contracts in the US
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 05:29:43 PM »
The wireless company that I work for does not have any loopholes for termination of services. A termination for any reason (moving out of service area, military service, moving overseas or even death) is still just a termination of services and they want the early termination fee.

• Out of Dodge
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 05:57:59 PM »
Unfortunately, no. I had/still have AT&T which merged with Cingular and after a few tears and two months left on my contract I decided to suspend my account. There is a huge balance on it that I couldn't pay for at the time and a $175 cancellation fee. I figured that I would be back in the states at some point and then I could just reinstate my service, pay it off and voila!

I had thought it would be logical and good customer service for them to cancel my account two months early without a penalty fee. They decided against it.

Anyway, my advice if you cannot afford your cancelation fees right now is to suspend it. Don't nec. say you are permanently moving, just going on an extended stay and need to freeze the account. Then when you can afford the fee -- cancel away!

Oh, the only loophole is if you somehow convince them you are going for a family emergency, death or serious illness. I have a friend who had a family emergency and moved back to London for four months and had no problems cancelling with no fees.

"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it." - Jack Handey

• Social Worker in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 08:40:56 PM »
Thanks...I tried to woo the managment but they would not budge! I can afford to pay the hundred, it just sucks to think that that $100 could be going to my measily savings for the move over! ::)
"Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." --Miriam Beard

Sponsored Links