Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dogs and Rented Accommodation  (Read 1057 times)

• Another pint, please!
  • Liked: 0
Dogs and Rented Accommodation
« on: November 13, 2004, 07:46:11 AM »
Just curious about this, if anyone's had experience.

It looks like it's going to be bloody impossible to sort out a mortgage and find a place to buy before we get jobs in the UK. That means we're probably going to have to move, rent for a short term, and then buy later.

Problem is, we've got two dogs who are moving with us. I know in the US it's difficult to find a place that will allow pets. Is that the case in the UK, or are they a bit less strict?

We're thinking of moving to North London--potential areas we've looked in are Islington/Highbury/Finsbury Park/Stoke Newington.

Thanks!

• Liked: 2
Re: Dogs and Rented Accommodation
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 08:17:43 AM »
I'm in the process of rental hiring myself so all I can say is..most landlords are not that keen on dogs. I've seen a handful here or there that say dogs are okay (because this is dog country), but i'd say 75% seem to be anti dogs. Which is slightly understandable because of the damage they can do. I personally will have to leave my dog with my partner when I move out, which brings me great sadness, but that's another story.

Another thing to note is that rental places are very particular about your work details. It isn't enough just to plop first and last month's rent down. They want work details and the knowledge of a steady income, some of them demanding that you have worked at least 3 months in a company. The easiest way around this is to sign up for a 6 month lease and pay the 6 months rent upfront. Then they dont care if you're employed or not!

Mind you, i'm out in the quiet burbs of Wiltshire. London might be a bit more lenient....And I feel for you on London rental charges!
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 03:36:10 PM »
I live in Finsbury Park and while there are a lot of people with dogs running around, good luck finding a place to rent.  Even if you own a flat here, your freeholder's agreement may not allow pets in the building.  It's possible to find a place but it will take time and cost you extra money.  I was hoping to bring my dog over but my freeholders won't let me.  I'll have to find some place else to live if I stay long term. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• chasing my rainbow, catching it and tying it down
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 05:31:40 PM »
Just wanted to add that both are about right I am afraid, it is increasingly more difficult to rent with any pet, let alone two dogs.

You might have better luck if you can rent a whole house w/garden, or a garden flat (more expensive usually, but necessary for dogs I believe- even city dogs- there are always times when a dog injures a paw, has loose tum etc) or the lower half of a detached property for example.  It's mostly agencies that won't allow pets, so finding ads for private landlords might be better (but if they agree to let you keep your dogs there, make sure you get it in writing)

Some agencies will allow approaching the landlord/managing agents & ask for a premium on your deposit ( for example, I had to pay £200 for anything that might involve fleas/blocked drains/inside soiling etc). (heavens forbid)

I was lucky and found someone who was willing to let us try- I provided a "bio" of my dog,  explaining how important she was to me, how important her care was to me,  I provided the cutest picture I could ( emotional blackmail always goes down well!) and I also offered to pay an extra £50 p/m for the first 3 mths to prove intent etc - it worked, the flat was immaculate, all cream and white and I got my whole deposit back and they didn't retain the flea money or cleaning fee.  In my next apartment, I used the reference from the first landlord and the agent for the second one and I also invited the new landlord around to "meet" my dog- he trusted me also.  When she died in February - I had to move out very quickly, I could not stand to be there any more- I had the loveliest letter from my landlord to say thank you for leaving the flat in such an immaculate condition, being wonderfully quiet tenants and if I ever needed anywhere else to live or a reference, they would happily provide me with one.

So, you can get lucky, but it takes time and effort and extra money.

I know you will want the dogs to come with you, but are there any other viable options for you to come and find somewhere suitable first?  It would be better for you to leave the dogs behind if possible for a few months than to risk you all being homeless over here because no-one will take you with two dogs-or you are asked to leave because of say, your dogs barking (I am not saying they will or do, but they will be experiencing enormous change themselves and it is noise more than smell/soiling that landords care about).

Good Luck, I hope you find somewhere,
Sheril.
Born to shop..............forced to work

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 05:44:38 PM »
http://www.vebra.com/home/includes/vdetails.asp?src=agent&fd=307&bd=0&db=2&cl=399&pid=9130323 <~~~~~this kind of thing might allow pets (with a garden)

http://www.rentomatic.co.uk/results.cfm?beds=All&lands=all&area=Islington <~~~This one is very good for local privately advertised flats

http://www.findaproperty.co.uk/cgi-bin/area.pl?areaid=0256&opt=agents <~~~~have you tried this site, lots of local agents, worth e-mailing them all?? and getting involved with the local conversations- word of mouth can be useful.

http://www.upmystreet.com/ <~~~excellent site to get chatting with local people, but you need some preferable postcodes

You might have done all this already :) in which case - sorry!
Sheril

• Liked: 8
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 09:56:11 PM »
We didn't have a dog when we signed our lease, but we were thinking of getting one, so we asked the letting agency (with the permission of the homeowner) to draft in a clause allowing a dog.  It wasn't a problem and the only proviso is that we have the carpets cleaned before we leave, which is pretty reasonable.

I do think it helps that we're renting a "family" home with a garden, etc.  It's more dog-friendly than our last flat, which was brand new and more for couples or single professionals.  I can't imagine a dog being allowed in there!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 10:27:52 PM »
http://www.vebra.com/home/includes/vdetails.asp?src=agent&fd=307&bd=0&db=2&cl=399&pid=9130323 <~~~~~this kind of thing might allow pets (with a garden)

Yeah but not that one!  Camden Road is a very busy road.   ;)
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 12:09:49 PM »

Yeah but not that one!  Camden Road is a very busy road.   ;)

Thanks Kristi- I don't know London well these days- but I would never suggest a flat/house on a busy road in London with rented accommodation- there are also the issues around access to the property.

One of my biggest fears was needing repairs done and what to do if we couldn't get the time off, so I explained to my landlord that if my dog ever got out, no-one would be able to catch her again and she would be killed on the roads (she was a semi-domesticated breed and had no road-sense whatsoever) and no-one but no-one was to EVER enter the property without my being there, they could visit/inspect/repair at very short notice, but one of us had to be there.

The interesting thing about flat hunting with a pet, is that frankly, most of the places I looked at that did allow pets, were simply not clean/safe enough for my dog!

Sheril.

Sponsored Links