Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where to find cornflour for cornbread?  (Read 7617 times)

• Liked: 8
Where to find cornflour for cornbread?
« on: November 20, 2015, 08:17:07 PM »
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can find cornflour for making cornbread? Would Waitrose carry it? Thanks.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Where to find cornflour for cornbread?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 12:31:05 AM »
I assume you mean cornmeal; cornflour is a fine powder used for thickening sauces. Cornmeal is called polenta here, it may be a bit coarser than you're used to, but it works for cornbread. Waitrose definitely has it, most of the supermarkets should.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 9
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:54:31 AM »
I assume you mean cornmeal; cornflour is a fine powder used for thickening sauces. Cornmeal is called polenta here, it may be a bit coarser than you're used to, but it works for cornbread. Waitrose definitely has it, most of the supermarkets should.

I searched for ages and ages looking for cornstarch, explaining to person after person at shop after shop, before finding out it is cornflour.  ;D
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 63
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:22:07 AM »
Polenta is about as close as you can get, but I find the consistency is not quite the same as cornmeal.
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 11:09:54 AM »
Yeah, cornmeal is what I meant.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
If you find the fine ground polenta its similar. You won't find better than that.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 03:31:29 PM »
You'll find polenta/cornmeal in most supermarkets, but it won't necessarily be in the regular baking aisle.  Try looking in the International section, if they have one, or even by the rice/pasta.

It comes in fine, medium and coarse texture, and it's a bit of a Goldilocks situation, except none of them are just right.  But each might work for particular situations.

The fine polenta (which is a bit harder to find) works alright for cornbread, muffins, etc., but you have to adjust the liquids in the recipe, or stuff can end up too dry/crumbly.  You might also try mixing in a little of the medium with the fine, for texture.  Medium itself works pretty well for coating, i.e. dredging fish for pan frying (as long as you add a bit of plain flour, too), or for lining bread/pizza pans.

If you want to get it 'just right', and you've got a food processor/grinder, you could try buying the coarse polenta, and just blitzing a few times to get it somewhere between fine/medium.  But, to be honest, it's probably easier to just order American cornmeal online, which you should be able to do from Amazon/eBay, or from specialty food shops.  And if you're in a big city, and there are any Caribbean or Latin American specialty shops, you could check there, too.

• I like learning foreign languages and ethnic food
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Dadu's Cash and Carry (90-198 Upper Tooting Road, London, London, SW17 7EW) is the place you want. They sell every kind of flour and Big bags of corn meal in Coarse, Medium and fine  grinds. I went there for exactly the same thing. I needed to make cornbread.
 FYI they sell Crystal Sauce and Corn nuts and Pillsbury  frozen Parathas(with the Doughboy on the Package) and especially every spice and flour known to man.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 08:39:54 PM »
As a Texas girl, I buy on Amazon and keep on hand when I get the urge to make some. Also, I have found it in Sainsbury's where the Indian spices are.
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
Found it and had delicious cornbread (non sugar) for Thanksgiving!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:24:38 PM »
Also, for people maybe not so inclined to bake, Amazon sells Jiffy corn muffin mix.  I buy that, and Victoria sponge mix, and combine them to make 'Marie Callender'-style sweet cornbread. 

• Liked: 0
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 03:20:12 PM »
Asda and Tesco carry corn meal.  I am a Texan and Black lol so I make cornbread with almost every meal.  I have learned that you need to combine the UK corn meal it is sold in a 1kg bag in the Asian Polish section of most Asda's tesco in a red green kind of bag.  I am not currently home to get the brands but I will update this when I can. (The bag is Usually only sold super fine) Combine that cornmeal with the white and red/green bag of Maiz meal so that it gets the coarse consistency of OUR USA cornmeal.  As some have stated polenta here is too fine for cornbread that is the consistency of that in the USA.  Also Tesco carries buttermilk which is perfect for making cornbread.  The buttermilk here is a bit thicker than that generally available in the USA so it makes for a better cornbread to me.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »
Asda and Tesco carry corn meal.  I am a Texan and Black lol so I make cornbread with almost every meal.  I have learned that you need to combine the UK corn meal it is sold in a 1kg bag in the Asian Polish section of most Asda's tesco in a red green kind of bag.  I am not currently home to get the brands but I will update this when I can. (The bag is Usually only sold super fine) Combine that cornmeal with the white and red/green bag of Maiz meal so that it gets the coarse consistency of OUR USA cornmeal.  As some have stated polenta here is too fine for cornbread that is the consistency of that in the USA.  Also Tesco carries buttermilk which is perfect for making cornbread.  The buttermilk here is a bit thicker than that generally available in the USA so it makes for a better cornbread to me.

Any hints for grits?
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1903
Where to find cornflour for cornbread?
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 09:28:28 AM »
Grits are easy, Tesco sells instant grits in the American section.  At least they do in my local in Twickenham.  They'll even deliver them. 

I'm always terrified that Tesco will stop selling them so I buy way more than we need. 

If you want non-instant or some fancy brand, there's always Amazon but it's not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 09:30:14 AM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 533
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 09:45:10 AM »
I'm always terrified that Tesco will stop selling them so I buy way more than we need. 

I like this.

I see you checking the cupboard..."Uh oh, grits is getting low...."

I will check with Tesco....and lay in a stock!
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab