Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Making Chex Mix in the UK  (Read 16577 times)

• Liked: 56
Making Chex Mix in the UK
« on: December 13, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »
I am really craving some homemade Chex Mix for the holidays and was wondering if anyone has any tips on making that here?  I don't think we have the Chex in the Sainsburys... has anyone used a good substitute?

• Liked: 585
Re: Making Chex Mix in the UK
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:26:12 AM »
Are Shreddies just like Chex?
I've never tasted them, but they look like Chex...  :-\\\\

• Liked: 223
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:48:38 AM »
I just made Chex Mix last week.

My parents brought over Chex cereal (rice, corn and wheat) so I'm not sure where to get those here. They also brought a big bag of goldfish, but you can find those here - they're called 'Finz'.

The low-sugar oat Cheerios in the UK taste just like normal Cheerios in the US. I've never had normal UK Cheerios, but someone on here said they're really sugary and not like US Cheerios.

My first batch, I used garlic granules and onion granules, but the seasonings burnt a bit in the oven. I think the key is to use garlic & onion powder, which would dissolve better in the butter. I haven't found the powders as easily here, but I'm going to hunt for them. Anyone have any suggestions?

For Lawry's/seasoning salt, I made a mix of garlic granules (again, I'd try using powder next time), onion granules (same), salt, paprika and a bit of sugar.

We're vegetarian, so I use soy sauce instead of Worcestershire sauce (it's got anchovies in it).
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »
Shreddies are just like Chex. What else goes in Chex Mix, perhaps I can tell you if we have UK equivalents?

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 02:55:53 PM »
Shreddies are just like Chex. What else goes in Chex Mix, perhaps I can tell you if we have UK equivalents?

My Chex Mix recipe has:
Rice Chex
Corn Chex
Wheat Chex
Goldfish -> Finz
Cheerios -> Low-sugar oat Cheerios
Nuts
Pretzels
Lawry's seasoning salt -> Garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and sugar
Worcestershire sauce (I use soy sauce)

Which Chex is Shreddies most like? Corn, rice or wheat? It'd be better than nothing, but I  prefer the corn and rice Chex. ::)

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »
Which Chex is Shreddies most like? Corn, rice or wheat? It'd be better than nothing, but I  prefer the corn and rice Chex. ::)

Shreddies are brown, so I reckon they'd be like wheat Chex.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 09:48:01 PM »
Sorry, I didn't realise that Chex came in multiple types! And sorry, no idea where you'd be able to get the other recipe items, so daft idea of me to offer up myself as a source of info! Whoops.

• Liked: 19
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 11:11:35 PM »
This time of year, if you look around the seasonal section at most grocery stores, you should find some kind of 'party mix.'  It's basically just little mini-pretzels and mini-crackers.  It's not usually flavoured, just salted. 

I just mix a packet or two of that, along with Shreddies (i.e. wheat chex), and peanuts. 

I use the Schwartz Season-All in place of Lawry's.

All in all, it's close enough to satisfy my cravings.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 11:15:18 PM »
No worries. Chex are the only thing missing in the UK, from my experience.

Since there are UK substitutes for Goldfish (Finz, exact same), Cheerios (low sugar oat Cheerios, exact same) and Lawry's (make your own spice mix), it's just the Chex. If you can't get them from the US or online, Shreddies might be the closest thing. Chex Mix isn't quite the same without Chex.

I'm guessing this is just me, but where can I get onion powder and garlic powder? We get granules of both at Sainsbury's and Tesco and I saw garlic powder on the Tesco website, but can't find onion powder. It's so easy to find in the US, but I can't seem to find it here.

DH was thinking Shreddies are the same as wheat Chex, but he hasn't had them in a long time and couldn't remember for sure. Also, are they sweet like UK Cheerios v US Cheerios?

As a side-note, I stumbled across this in my Shreddies research: http://www.myshreddies.com/

Enjoy.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 11:26:13 PM »
Last time I found garlic powder, it came in a big bag from the Indian foods section. I still haven't managed to find onion powder though. I've been using granules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 533
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »
it came in a big bag from the Indian foods section.

Similarly, I ended up with about a pound and a half sack of dried onion bits. My wife finally told me to throw them out because I was slipping them into things trying to use them up.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »
I have bought both garlic and onion powder online from a place called Just Ingredients.

• Liked: 15
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »
You could always try Bombay Mix - Fried lentils, peanuts, chickpea flour noodles, vegetable oil, chickpeas, flaked rice, fried onion and curry leaves

• Liked: 6
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
No worries. Chex are the only thing missing in the UK, from my experience.

Since there are UK substitutes for Goldfish (Finz, exact same), Cheerios (low sugar oat Cheerios, exact same) and Lawry's (make your own spice mix), it's just the Chex. If you can't get them from the US or online, Shreddies might be the closest thing. Chex Mix isn't quite the same without Chex.

I'm guessing this is just me, but where can I get onion powder and garlic powder? We get granules of both at Sainsbury's and Tesco and I saw garlic powder on the Tesco website, but can't find onion powder. It's so easy to find in the US, but I can't seem to find it here.

DH was thinking Shreddies are the same as wheat Chex, but he hasn't had them in a long time and couldn't remember for sure. Also, are they sweet like UK Cheerios v US Cheerios?

As a side-note, I stumbled across this in my Shreddies research: http://www.myshreddies.com/

Enjoy.

Shreddies is most like the wheat Chex but they are sweeter than Chex.  And you're correct when you mentioned that UK Cheerios is much sweeter than the US version.  They are horribly sweet...more like the frosted Cheerios we can get in the US.

As for the powders, I've managed to find them from my Tesco and made by Schwartz.  Hopefully that will help.  You also reminded me that I need to get more.  ;)

Perhaps try one of the American grocers online to find some of the ingredients?

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »
Shreddies is most like the wheat Chex but they are sweeter than Chex.  And you're correct when you mentioned that UK Cheerios is much sweeter than the US version.  They are horribly sweet...more like the frosted Cheerios we can get in the US.

Cheers, kbee.

Have you tried the low-sugar oat Cheerios in the UK? I've got a box at home right now and they taste just like normal US Cheerios.
As for the powders, I've managed to find them from my Tesco and made by Schwartz.  Hopefully that will help.  You also reminded me that I need to get more.  ;)

Thanks for this. I found garlic powder online at Tesco (both an own brand and East End brand) but need to check if they've got it at the branch near home. I haven't had luck finding onion powder in any of the big stores.

I might have to head to Chinatown - they've got everything. ;)

Sponsored Links