Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Netflix.  (Read 3191 times)

• Liked: 6110
Netflix.
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:08:35 AM »
Husband started the free 30 day trial last night. We chose the two device option so that I could check it out too.

I've been browsing the titles but I have to say I'm not impressed so far. I mean there are literally two, maybe three, movies that I would want to watch.

Is it just me or is it as limited as it appears to be?

• Liked: 3589
Re: Netflix.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:15:22 AM »
It's pretty limited - I'm doing the free 30-day trial as well; 10 days in and I haven't watched anything yet!

I had a free trial when they first started Netflix in the UK as well and there was hardly anything on there back then at all. They've expanded a bit since then, but almost none of the shows or films I've wanted to watch have been on there.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 09:19:29 AM »
Hee hee, me three!  Got a new TV for Christmas and started the trial about 2 weeks ago.

We did just jump on the bandwagon and watch Making a Murderer.  That was very good and I'm glad I got to see it (exclusive to Netflix).  Not sure I'll keep it though unless they do things that like frequently.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:22 AM »
Thanks guys!

I don't have a smart TV and I don't like to watch on my computer so I was trying to decide it it's worth spending 35gbp on a firestick!  ::)

• Liked: 533
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:20 AM »
Say what you will, but if it hadn't been for Netflix, I would have never seen Paul Blart Mall Cop.

But yes with something like Making a Murderer....I mean, it is stunning (if perhaps compromised to a degree).

Some form of this is the future.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:18:10 AM »
Yeah, it was definitely edited in a certain way SoS!

I saw today that the prosecutor is writing a book.... way to cash in on your 15 minutes of fame.  You should see the letter he sent to Steven Avery to see if he wanted to release "the truth."  Ugh.

• Liked: 47
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 11:37:44 AM »
Id definitely recommend Jessica Jones and orange is the new black as well. They are fantastic.

I've had a Netflix account for about 9 years (whoa) and always loved it. I've had it since before streaming was a thing.  My husband and I use it a ton and almost never watch regular tv anymore. We just use a lot of streaming services. I think Now TV can also be worth it for some people because it includes Sky Atlantic (game of thrones!!!!) so if you don't already have access to it, it's a more affordable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 533
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »
Where do you begin?

The best I can make of it...and there is so much wrong...is that the cops and prosecutors, using their "cop sense",  knew Avery was a bad one...and railroaded him for the original assault. It's wrong and horrible, but probably happens.

But then, if you accept that....they seem to have known about the other guy. And he then goes on to commit more assaults. That is wretched.

I know that those police and prosecutors did no one a favour by smirking about it on camera. That sketch artist was a piece of work....

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 11:56:45 AM »
I think Now TV can also be worth it for some people because it includes Sky Atlantic (game of thrones!!!!) so if you don't already have access to it, it's a more affordable option.

Oh, that's very interesting, thank you alisonr!

Husband is a total Game of Thrones addict and was so disappointed to find out that Virgin doesn't show it.  (We are not permitted to have Sky because we live in a conservation area.)

The trouble is that he would want it, as well as, not instead of, and we are paying an absolute fortune for Virgin as it is!

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
Anyone have any experience with firestick?

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:37 PM »

Husband is a total Game of Thrones addict and was so disappointed to find out that Virgin doesn't show it.  (We are not permitted to have Sky because we live in a conservation area.)

The trouble is that he would want it, as well as, not instead of, and we are paying an absolute fortune for Virgin as it is!

You can nearly always find a promo code for now tv. I think our first 3 months were around £10 altogether. And you can just subscribe while game of thrones is airing and then cancel when it's done. No commitments. :) plus they have a host of other things available as well, including some American shows and other British ones you can't find elsewhere and films too. You can always look for a trial code and see if you like it. If your tv doesn't have the app and you don't have some other means of getting it, the now tv box is quite cheap, £15 ish at asda I think. We have a Sony tv and the app isn't on there, but it is on our iPads, the play station, and our new Apple TV so it's never been an issue for us.

Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »

You can nearly always find a promo code for now tv. I think our first 3 months were around £10 altogether. And you can just subscribe while game of thrones is airing and then cancel when it's done. No commitments. :) plus they have a host of other things available as well, including some American shows and other British ones you can't find elsewhere and films too. You can always look for a trial code and see if you like it. If your tv doesn't have the app and you don't have some other means of getting it, the now tv box is quite cheap, £15 ish at asda I think. We have a Sony tv and the app isn't on there, but it is on our iPads, the play station, and our new Apple TV so it's never been an issue for us.

Aug 2014-present- Tier 4

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 12:24:48 PM »

Thank you!  :)

Do you happen to know if it should be possible to have both Virgin and Now TV boxes plugged in to the same TV at the same time?

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »

Thank you!  :)

Do you happen to know if it should be possible to have both Virgin and Now TV boxes plugged in to the same TV at the same time?

It'll depend on how many inputs your tv has. I think the now tv box uses hdmi to connect to the tv, and most TVs purchased in the last 5 years or so have more than one hdmi input. Even so, you could always unplug and and plug in the other. Annoying, but it works in a pinch. That's what we used to do on our old tv as it only had 1 hdmi input and we had at least 3 devices that needed them.

Once you're all set up just use the input selection button on your tv remote to switch between cable and the box.

Aug 2014-present- Tier 4

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »
It'll depend on how many inputs your tv has. I think the now tv box uses hdmi to connect to the tv, and most TVs purchased in the last 5 years or so have more than one hdmi input. Even so, you could always unplug and and plug in the other. Annoying, but it works in a pinch. That's what we used to do on our old tv as it only had 1 hdmi input and we had at least 3 devices that needed them.

Once you're all set up just use the input selection button on your tv remote to switch between cable and the box.

I'm no good at anything remotely technological but I'll have a poke around the back of the TV and see what I find!

Thank you!  ;D

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab