Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Texas shopping list  (Read 3736 times)

• Liked: 533
Re: Texas shopping list
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 537
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2016, 07:43:23 PM »
Oh, I really miss kosher dill pickles. That will never go away... I've eaten stupid amounts of pickles ever since I was a little kid. I don't eat pickles all that often, but damn do I crave them all the time!

OH! The have Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the freezer of Aldi apparently. It's not box Mac and Cheese and I haven't tried it yet... but I'm totally going to!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 70
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2016, 08:15:36 PM »
Yes!

Oh dear lord, YES!  My very wrong husband says Subway is better.  He's just plain wrong.

I get the feeling that this has gone from a what to bring home from the US into a what foods we miss list  :D  Unless Publix subs and ice cream can be more easily transported than what I recall.  OP, tell us if that's so!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 11:26:31 AM »
Oh, I really miss kosher dill pickles. That will never go away... I've eaten stupid amounts of pickles ever since I was a little kid. I don't eat pickles all that often, but damn do I crave them all the time!

OH! The have Kraft Macaroni and Cheese in the freezer of Aldi apparently. It's not box Mac and Cheese and I haven't tried it yet... but I'm totally going to!

How about the pickles available at the Polish store?  Seems like they have a wide variety.

• Liked: 68
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 11:59:48 AM »

I've tried it! Not quite the same, but better than any other pre-packaged "macaroni and cheese" I have had here. I'd eat it again. Definitely make it in the oven though, and not the microwave. It'll be nicer!

• Liked: 68
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2016, 01:07:32 PM »
were they cherry or strawberry? i miss being able to get a pound bag of them at the grocery store.

Just got back from B&M! Got myself a one pound pack of original strawberry twizzlers for £1!

There was also cherry bites and pull and peel strawberry and vanilla. Those were a bit more.

• Liked: 585
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »
Oh, I really miss kosher dill pickles.

I have made my own, using a recipe I found online, and they were fab.  I made them extra-garlicky!

I've also found Mrs Elswood Haimisha Cucumbers in most supermarkets... to me they taste just like the kosher dills back in California.  However, when I look at the ingredients list, there isn't actually any dill in them, but they *are* kosher!  The most important thing, I think, for pickles, is that there is no sugar in them... sugar in pickles is just wrong.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 09:37:14 AM »
I've also found Mrs Elswood Haimisha Cucumbers in most supermarkets... to me they taste just like the kosher dills back in California.

Thank you!  ;D  I will try those.

I miss pickles too.  I saw the M&S ones recommended but I refuse to pay 8 gbp  :o for a jar of pickles!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 11:56:08 PM »
I have made my own, using a recipe I found online, and they were fab.  I made them extra-garlicky!

I've also found Mrs Elswood Haimisha Cucumbers in most supermarkets... to me they taste just like the kosher dills back in California.  However, when I look at the ingredients list, there isn't actually any dill in them, but they *are* kosher!  The most important thing, I think, for pickles, is that there is no sugar in them... sugar in pickles is just wrong.
I whole heartedly agree. I despise bread and butter pickles, which is what most pickles here taste like to me.

I'll have to look those up next time!
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 10:37:37 AM »
My American food shopping list at the moment for the next time I go has Near East Rice Pilaf, followed by some Goya stuff, and a bottle or two of alcoholic root beer. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 10:35:36 PM »
[quote author=lyonaria link=topic=87216.msg1141341#msg1141341 date=1462905803

[/quote]

I saw this at Farm Foods.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
I'd have to go to HEB and pick up a few jars of Julio's mild salsa.  I'd also want the Hidden Valley Ranch packets to make dip, and various Cajun or Mexican items.

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »
I've brought back loads of Hidden Valley ranch packets, plus quite a few Taco Bell taco seasoning packets (they were marked down to 49 cents each!).  I also got 1 tube of Neosporin (I still have 2 tubes left from the last time I went to the US) and a bottle of rubbing alcohol, as well as a couple of 250 count bottles of ibuprofen PM and Tylenol PM.  I've brought a few bags of candy for the people I work with... Reeses pumpkins, Junior Mints, Charms Blow-pops, Tootsie Pops, vanilla Tootsie roll midgees and a couple of different flavours of Crystal Light .

Apart from that, I really didn't do much shopping... certainly not as much as I'd done in the past.  Oh, I forgot to mention that I bought a load of anti-bac hand gels from Bath & Body Works... that's probably the purchase I was most excited about!  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
Oooo, what I wouldn't do for a blow pop and tootsie pop!

Sounds like a pretty good list!  I hope you had a good time!

• Island Life (without the palm trees)
  • Liked: 20
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2016, 09:29:04 AM »
You should save those anti-bac gels! I think the FDA is banning them so they could be worth a lot on the black market!

Sponsored Links