Sponsored Links

Topic: Greencard & Travelling Question...  (Read 769 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • *
  • Posts: 220

  • Tomorrow is a new day....
  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: Sep 2010
  • Location: London
Greencard & Travelling Question...
« on: March 16, 2016, 08:14:26 PM »

I been thinking of the possibility of moving back to the states temporarily.  My question is...

I am planning to go back to US but I'm not sure how long I will be staying.  My OH will be unemployed soon, thinking of having a short holiday, going to US, doing some travelling before he return back to UK to look for a job.  Because we won't have a place to stay in UK by then, I will be staying in US with our kids till he sort the problem out.  So it feels like he shouldn't apply for a green card but can he travel to US and stay for 2-3 month a few times a year to spend time with our kids or would they be suspicious of him travelling to US that much and be refuse entry to US?? 

If it comes to it and we might consider applying for a greencard for him.  I would be unemployed then, I never filed US tax, what is the income support requirement ?  I checked the site out but it leaves me feeling a bit overwhelm.  Help explain it to me please  :-\\\\

Re: Greencard & Travelling Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 03:57:51 PM »
He should be able to travel a couple of times without having any trouble, but the advice usually given is to stay out of the US for as long as the last visit.

  • *
  • Posts: 583

  • Liked: 1
  • Joined: Jul 2011
  • Location: Left Coast
Re: Greencard & Travelling Question...
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 02:30:36 AM »
I agree, a green card would not be the answer at this time. Take a look at applying for visitor visas in advance for him. That way you avoid the whole refusing entry thing.

The green card process takes quite a while. For my husband, it took 9 months, but we were applying from the UK. You can check the processing times here https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/processTimesDisplayInit.do to see how long it may take from your place of application.

I do know that having no income is not going to be a great start. You'll have to prove that you earn above the poverty level and can support your spouse. This can be done with assets or income, but might need to enlist the help of your family to do so. Here's a link to the poverty guidelines. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Hope this helps!

Re: Greencard & Travelling Question...
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:32:13 AM »
Visitor visas for the USA are not required for those who qualify for ESTA.

ESTA should be used unless the applicant is not qualified, as a visitor visa  - the B2 visa- will probably be denied.

Sponsored Links