Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FAFSA or funding for broke students?  (Read 2666 times)

FAFSA or funding for broke students?
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:47:14 PM »
I honestly thought that I'd enjoy college/university, but I didn't. After completing my first semester(in US), I am now in the withdrawing process in my second as I was wasting my time and my money. I was taking all these GE's so I could say that I went to x school because it felt like that was what I had to do, but it just felt like high school but with more freedom. (I hated high school).

I know the school systems in the US and UK are different and that is one of the reasons the reasons I'm drawn to the U.K. I visited to see my boyfriend (another big reason) and after coming home, I've realized that there's so much more life out there that I want to explore. "Home" no longer feels like home. I do not want to be here and my decision is definite.

I am aware that UK schools are subject based so I will need to decide on a subject asap. I know that I should think about it carefully as I will be putting myself into debt to study a subject I'm "just picking." And it may seem like I'm rushing because I am. But is it all worth it? For me, yes. For various reasons. I don't want to wait and I will go to the U.K.

I've looked around a few schools and I think I've found one that seems reachable!

However, I'm broke. I'm wondering if i'm able to get financial aid or any kind of assistance with money as an international student? I've just emailed the school with a few questions but thought I'd get some first hand advance!

• Liked: 47
Re: FAFSA or funding for broke students?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »
Some Uk universities are registered with FAFSA so you can get the usual American student aid to attend like loans and whatnot.  Obviously that option will depend on the specific school and whether they are currently registered or are willing to do so. Also, although you aren't likely to qualify for much funding directly from your Uk uni because you're international, some schools have scholarships specifically for international students so look into that. I used both these options doing my masters over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
Also, although you aren't likely to qualify for much funding directly from your Uk uni because you're international, some schools have scholarships specifically for international students so look into that. I used both these options doing my masters over here.

Is it not likely for the funds to cover most of not all of the costs of attending? How was it for you?

B.t.w. I'm so happy for you and your husband! Best wishes :)

• Liked: 47
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:07:07 PM »
Aw thanks. :)

I won partial tuition finding through my uni by submitting an essay application for a scholarship and then reduced my loan by that amount. So my loans covered part tuition and then my living expenses. I also had a par time job so once I got that o reduced my loan amount further to only cover tuition in my final term.

April 11, 2012-Began talking online
June 2012-Officially dating
August 2012-Met in person
Aug 2012-Nov 2012-Tier 4 (General)
Aug 2014-present- Tier 4
Oct 2015-Wedding!!! and spouse visa sometime after that and before the Tier 4 expires

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
I was very similar in school.  Didn't really like high school.  Started college straight after but quickly decided it wasn't for me.  I went on to dance professionally for some travelling shows and at Disney.  After a few years of that, I decided I was too old for dance and decided to go back to school.  I knew I wanted a business degree but those first two years of foundation really helped me refine what I wanted to do.  Finance was a required elective for business school and I kicked ass at it (I was the student every one hated as I'd set the curve).  I realized that I belonged in finance and changed my major at the last second from general business.  I am SO thankful that I delayed entry into university by a few years as I REALLY took it seriously when I re-enrolled.  I graduated in three years instead of four and I graduated summa cum laude.  I am now on a career path that I love and am rewarded for financially.  Had I not taken those 4 years off straight out of high school, I would be in a ton of debt and have a useless degree.  Instead I have no debt as I earn well and was able to pay off all my loans by the time I was 30.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 12:40:24 AM »
I was very similar in school.  Didn't really like high school.  Started college straight after but quickly decided it wasn't for me.  I went on to dance professionally for some travelling shows and at Disney.  After a few years of that, I decided I was too old for dance and decided to go back to school.  I knew I wanted a business degree but those first two years of foundation really helped me refine what I wanted to do.  Finance was a required elective for business school and I kicked ass at it (I was the student every one hated as I'd set the curve).  I realized that I belonged in finance and changed my major at the last second from general business.  I am SO thankful that I delayed entry into university by a few years as I REALLY took it seriously when I re-enrolled.  I graduated in three years instead of four and I graduated summa cum laude.  I am now on a career path that I love and am rewarded for financially.  Had I not taken those 4 years off straight out of high school, I would be in a ton of debt and have a useless degree.  Instead I have no debt as I earn well and was able to pay off all my loans by the time I was 30.

Thank you for your story! I'm glad you found what you love to do! Personally, I am not as good with patience as you are. When I like something, I want to go at it right there and then. One good thing is that I do know that I love and want to be in the U.K. I'm taking baby steps and following what I love and hopefully that will lead me to many more, including what I want to do in the career aspect. I'm glad everything has worked out for you and I hope that everyone will find a path that they love. My gut tells me this is the right thing to do so I will follow it. Hoping to be debt free like you by the time I'm 30 as well. Kudos! :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab