Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Big fish/small pond?  (Read 1336 times)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
Big fish/small pond?
« on: November 14, 2004, 05:46:43 PM »
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what kinds of  job to start looking for when I move to York?

I currently work in advertising/marketing in New York City. My first job was as a marketing assistant at an in-house advertising agency for a manufacturing company. The agency consisted of two people: me and my boss. I was involved in all aspects of the advertising process: media planning, copyediting, trafficking, billing, etc.

Later, I had to leave because that company relocated, and I took a job in the advertising department of the largest weekly magazine in the US. Because of the much larger volume of work, the scope of my responsibilities became much more limited, although my job became much more time-consuming.  Because of the enormous volume of work, there is a great deal of division of labor and delegation.

I have worked for this magazine for 14 years, and have received a number of promotions.  Most of my job involves trafficking information, reviewing contracts and reporting to upper management.  I delegate simple research requests and clerical tasks to others.  I am considered to be a member of management.

Next year, I will be moving to York, where there are no large publishing companies such as the one I currently work for.   Reviewing my CV, I realize that, in a small company with much fewer clients, the tasks that I perform could be performed by a competent marketing assistant.

So now I am confused about what kind of job to look for.  Do I accept a huge salary cut and apply for a marketing assistant job? Will recruiters even bother to consider me for such a job when they see that I currently hold a management title and earn approximately US$60,000 a year? I will also have had my 40th birthday by the time I'm able to start looking for work (I don't look it, but my birthdate is stamped on my passport); will I be passed over for a 20-something fresh out of university?

I also do not have a marketing degree. I have a Bachelor's Degree in Political Science with a minor in English Lit.

I would be willing to commute by train or bus (I don't drive) to other parts of Yorkshire; I already have a commute of about 1 1/2 hours each way here in New York. I suppose the best place to find a job would be Leeds.  London, however is out of the question.  (The company I work for now has magazines with headquarters in London, by the way.)

The reason that I have to stay in York is that my fiance has a job there dealing with mentally and physically disabled children who are emotionally attached to him.

I don't want to sell myself short; on the other hand, I want to be realistic.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 09:37:27 PM by sweetpeach »

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Big fish/small pond?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 08:17:06 AM »
I'll give this some more thought but just off the top of my head...you should consider applying as a project manager or marketing assistant to non-publishing companies. Leeds will indeed have the larger companies. I think (but don't hold me to it) that there are lots of financial companies there.

My hunch is that you will need take a pay cut but you'd probably do that in many US places outside NYC anyway.

You may also need to tweak your CV to tone down the fact you were so high-ranking but don't do anything until you've seen what the Yorkshire market is like. For example, I was an art director back in the US but those jobs are virtually non-existant here in the southwest. So I have 2 CVs. One for plain old design jobs and one that highlights my project management skills.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 12:35:06 PM »
Leeds would be a good place to look. Leeds is the 2nd largest financial district in England.

My advice is to look into a recruitment agency. They'll know the feel of the business and be able to get you a job that would be fitting.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• York Interweb
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 02:12:05 PM »
Thanks to all who've responded so far.

I don't have any banking experience, and I'm not really the financial type. I don't think I would fit in, and it's not where I would want to work.  I live in New York; if I had wanted to work in finance, I would have got a Wall Street job years ago and have tons more money now.

I know that Leeds has a big computer/internet industry. I was thinking more on that line, perhaps getting involved in internet advertising. My fiance designs websites with advertising (for himself, on his free time) and he said that he would teach me some things, so I will have more skills to add to my CV.    He also suggested that I take some classes, which I would like to do (He's currently taking a class in advanced web design),  but I don't know what my visa will allow.  (Fiance visa and then spousal visa. I know I can't look for work till I get the spousal visa; not sure about education.)

Adverts for project manager jobs seem to want someone who has technical experience in that particular field. Which I totally agree with. I can't stand when someone with no knowlege of the industry gets hired as a manager and proceeds to boss around people with more knowledge and experience than him, so that the manager is really being trained by the secretary who is making 1/3 of his salary.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 03:47:26 PM »
Have you considered going public sector?  Often public sector agencies (like the National Health Service, Local Government, or charities) are on the lookout for people with private sector experience.  Often larger agencies will have in house designers and communication officers or a communications manager that will manage contracts with external agencies for print and web work.  I work for both the NHS and local government and when people join from the private sector, it is seen as a real bonus as they often have the skills and innovation that dyed in the wool public sector employees do not.

There is also a scheme within the NHS that seeks to employ senior managers from outside the NHS.  It is called the Gateway to Leadership scheme and recruits for a range of managerial staff.  Again, people from the private sector are encouraged to apply.

For such opportunities, take a look at the guardian on Mondays for communication/PR/design jobs or Wednesday for Public Sector jobs.

As for the money, it isn't bad.  It is not at an equal to the private sector, but there are a lot of opportunities and benefits (lots of holiday, great pension scheme, great maternity benefits).

Hope that helps
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:07:21 PM »
Hi ~

I'm new to the forum here, and will be making the trek across the pond next year (probably mid-year). I receive job notices at < newcomer link: http://www.totaljobs.com [nonactive] > daily; noticed a position available at a publishing house there in West London. Just go to that link, register online and you'll be able to access current job openings in the areas you prefer.

Welcome to UKY.

~ Di  :)

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 05:17:10 PM »
what about working agency side?  working with a marketing agency who coveres the total mix of clients?

it may be worth a try.

• York Interweb
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 05:47:02 PM »
I would definitely consider working at an agency; I don't think there are that many in Yorkshire, though, so I imagine it would be tough to get a job, but I would try.  Working anywhere near London is not an option; it's a 2 hour commute, 80 pounds one way, not worth it (and that's just the trip to Kings Cross, I'd still have to travel from there to wherever the office was.)

I used to work in the public sector in the US and left it because I hated it, because there was no incentive to work harder.  People who came in late and took two hour lunches got paid the same as people who worked through lunch, stayed late and came in on weekends. It was extremely demoralizing to an overachiever like me.  I don't know if it would be the same in the UK.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 05:58:18 PM »
Hmmm sweat peach...it is not so different, certainly not in local government, but the NHS and charities have less money and expect more from their staff.  As an overachiever myself, I do find it difficult, but not impossible to manage. 
"It doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses."   Mrs Patrick Campbell (1865-1940) English Actress

• York Interweb
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 06:05:59 PM »
My fiance works for a charity. Totally different field, though, but it doesn't seem so bad.  He doesn't do office work, though.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab