Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Using Skype for my US credit union to ring me?  (Read 1813 times)

Using Skype for my US credit union to ring me?
« on: March 31, 2016, 03:03:41 PM »
Not sure this is posted in right place.

Over the last few months my credit union has blocked every other use of my Visa credit and debit card. (They tell me they block because there is tons and tons of fraud coming out of the UK?!) They can't ring me about it because I have an international number.

I have to live off my American money!

My Skype account is based in the US but I don't have an actual Skype number. If I buy a Skype number would credit union be able to ring me?

I don't know anything at this point so talk plain and stupid to me!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 03:04:48 PM by blahblah »

• Liked: 719
Re: Using Skype for my US credit union to ring me?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 03:32:58 PM »
I have a Skype incoming number for $39/year on my US Skype account.  Works just fine. In my case it is a UK number so folks can call me when I am in the US.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA331/what-is-a-skype-number

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
We have a Skype US number and our US bank/credit card/insurance company etc, have no problem in calling us. Just be prepared for them to ignore the time difference!

We'll keep the Skype number on when we return to the US in the summer, it makes sense as the annual cost is minimal and we already have the phone.

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
I have a Skype incoming number for $39/year on my US Skype account.  Works just fine. In my case it is a UK number so folks can call me when I am in the US.

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA331/what-is-a-skype-number

Thank you. Sounds good!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 05:33:05 PM »
We have a Skype US number and our US bank/credit card/insurance company etc, have no problem in calling us. Just be prepared for them to ignore the time difference!

We'll keep the Skype number on when we return to the US in the summer, it makes sense as the annual cost is minimal and we already have the phone.

Thanks! Sounds the answer. I can well imagine the time difference problem!

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 11:51:04 PM »
My Skype number just cost me 59.00 dollars. Now to get people to use it...

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »
My Skype number just cost me 59.00 dollars. Now to get people to use it...

Good luck.

• Passportdelicious.com
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
I use O2 and they have a bolt-on where I pay 10 quid a month to be able to dial three US numbers on an unlimited basis and in return I get a "Call Me" number, which is a US number in Miami. Works great for my US friends who can't figure out how to dial the UK! (Anyone can use the Call Me number, not just the three friends I have indicated.)

That being said, don't go with O2. They stink. 6 quid a MB for data when you are in the US!!

So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe your mobile provider has something similar?
american girl likes food and london, but not cooking.
http://www.passportdelicious.com

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 05:56:01 AM »
I know this is an older post, but... Callcentric.com will give you a VOIP phone number for about $5 per month in the USA ($2.95 for the incoming number, and $1.50 for the 911 emergency listing, plus taxes).  Incoming calls are free, outgoing calls are billed at an extremely reasonable amount.  Or they've got more expensive plans, with varying amounts of minutes, or unlimited minutes. I don't use the phone here at the house often, but keep it for emergencies.

The last time I was traveling in the UK (I'm still in the States now) I forwarded my Callcentric.com number to my UK cell phone. Worked fine.  Alternately, you can have a phone directly hooked up into your router via a VOIP adapter and pick up the USA calls via a handset if you are in the UK.

The only downside is you have to be a bit of a techhead to get it all set up. Took me a few hours and a lot of emails back and forth (there is no telephone helpline) to get it set up. Once it was up, it's been running just fine. Of course, if your internet goes out, so does your phone. But that happens here in the states if you have phone through your cable company anyway and the cable goes out.

I think there's also a thing called softphone software that CC uses that allows you do do the dialing on the internet, etc., and talk through your computer - no need for an actual phone? It's all on their website, so it may be of interest.

If we are allowed to come to the UK to stay, I'll be taking my setup with me and all the incoming calls are still free from the States and treated as if the USA caller had dialed my USA number (no overseas charges for them), and outgoing are still pennies a call, so if I need to wrap up ends there I'll be able to do it.  They also have UK phone numbers now, too, but they cost a bit more per month, I think. Still  under $20, if memory serves. (edit - it appears to be $5.95 per month for the incoming line, and you choose the outgoing call plan.)

You might check them out. We've been really pleased with them. Used them for several years now with no problems at all.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 06:07:49 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 85
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 04:59:34 AM »
We have a US Skype number that we use for people to contact us from the US.  We have it set to forward to our UK cellphone number so we never miss a call.  This works well and is very cheap to run..
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 03:51:32 PM »
We have a US Skype number that we use for people to contact us from the US.  We have it set to forward to our UK cellphone number so we never miss a call.  This works well and is very cheap to run..

That is exactly what I am doing.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:03:39 PM »
Google hangouts.  I have my US number on Google voice and then use the app.  If anybody calls me from the US there is no charge.  Similarly if I call anybody in the US there is no charge.

Pretty similar to Skype but without the call out charges.

• Liked: 9
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 06:54:03 PM »
Hi All,

I just arrived to the U.K. on a marriage visa (yahoo!) and have been thinking about how to manage communication to & from the U.S. I'd love some advice! I would like a U.S. phone number that I can forward to my U.K. cell phone to receive a few phone calls annually, but not many.

I gave up my U.S. mobile number (it was mobile number through my U.S. employer, and I dropped my personal number years ago). I now have a U.K. mobile number on a sim-only plan through 3. I'm willing to change providers if required.

Recently, I found Google hangouts to be really effective for outbound calls to the U.S., which have always been free of charge. However, what do you recommend is the best way to get an inexpensive U.S. number for minimal calls?

I need to list a U.S. phone number on the bank account I'm keeping in the U.S. (Charles Schwab), and recently, I had to list a number on my tax return. (I didn't have one, so I put my dad's cell phone number.) Regular phone communication with friends in the U.S. is via FaceTime Audio and Whatsapp calls for those without an iPhone.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
Hi All,

I just arrived to the U.K. on a marriage visa (yahoo!) and have been thinking about how to manage communication to & from the U.S. I'd love some advice! I would like a U.S. phone number that I can forward to my U.K. cell phone to receive a few phone calls annually, but not many.

I gave up my U.S. mobile number (it was mobile number through my U.S. employer, and I dropped my personal number years ago). I now have a U.K. mobile number on a sim-only plan through 3. I'm willing to change providers if required.

Recently, I found Google hangouts to be really effective for outbound calls to the U.S., which have always been free of charge. However, what do you recommend is the best way to get an inexpensive U.S. number for minimal calls?

I need to list a U.S. phone number on the bank account I'm keeping in the U.S. (Charles Schwab), and recently, I had to list a number on my tax return. (I didn't have one, so I put my dad's cell phone number.) Regular phone communication with friends in the U.S. is via FaceTime Audio and Whatsapp calls for those without an iPhone.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Are you already married Jag239? If you are, you came over on  Spousal Visa.

Marriage visas are literally for getting married, either settlement (what we call a Fiance visa and you apply for FLR after your wedding) and visitor (where you have to go back to the US at the end of the visa).
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
Stupid phone doesnt like the forum anymore.

I'm only asking 'cause it can get confusing for new people when the wrong terms are used. 😊

The US number thing was just something some folks have been chatting about in the last few weeks. It should be easy to find if you check out some of the sections. I can't remember where exactly since it wasn't something I needed.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links