Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Who actually PLANS on moving back to the USA?  (Read 2291 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Who actually PLANS on moving back to the USA?
« on: May 21, 2003, 02:52:31 PM »
I thought about putting this in the repatriation board, but thought more people might see it here?

When I moved to England almost a year ago, David & I both knew that we would eventually end up starting our family in America and living there, just didn't know when. We've talked and talked about it, and decided that our new goal is to be in America by January 1 2004, which is oh, 7 months away. Our main reason for moving is his job, his prospects are SO much better in America and he can make much more money doing the same thing, with better hours and better benefits. He's in the automotive industry, in a pretty specific type job. We also want to start having a family ASAP, and I'm not prepared to be in England for that. I want my family and I want my friends. David always wanted to move to America anyway, even before he met me. So, we've made our decision.

But who knows if it will actually happen. We've got an Immigration Lawyer, which we had to get a few months ago when David had a job offer in Tennessee and we needed quick advice on some really technical aspects of a quick work-based Immigration. Turns out he couldn't do the job because of a technicality in the Immigration law (I won't bore you unless you're interested)... but the lawyer did say this. We've got a few options: 1. Do the applications ourselves and take a long time to do it 2. Get a job offer in the States that will sponsoer a work visa then change status while we're there 3. Get a job offer in the States, show the lawyer the written offer, pay him a lot of money and he'll get us a spousal visa in 6 to 8 weeks then move to america 4. Pay him a lot of money to get us a visa in 6 to 8 weeks and move to America with a sponsor (I've got a well-off brother who's offered to house and sponsor us to get us back in the country) but with NO JOB and then have David look while he's there and I get a job right away.

So... we're trying to get him a job offer, hopefully with a work visa in the package, but if not we'll cough up the dough and go to the lawyer.  

I've got really mixed feelings about living in America right now. I'm desperately homesick and want to do it because we'll have the things we want there (ie big house, big car, yard, proximity to my mom, american schools, etc) - but on the same hand I KNOW I'll miss England to bits. Part of the problem is I hate where we live right now, wish we had never moved out of Suffolk, and its making me want to leave.  

So, that's my story. Now, who else has serious, real plans to move to America after having been here a while? How are you going to do it, or how do you want to do it? We don't have the luxury of having money sadly, or even a house. David's been through a divorce where she got EVERYTHING, so we're sort of starting over. Or I guess *really* starting over. But anyway, I just want to know who else is here but has their eyes across the ocean... for real...

HUGS all around while I go have a nervous breakdown...
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 0
Re: Who actually PLANS on moving back to the USA?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 04:32:56 PM »
We're planning on moving back to America in a few years.  We'll probably do it the same way we moved over here - DH will find a job, get an offer, have them pay moving expenses, etc.  Then again, who knows?  We didn't move to the UK intending to live here permanently, but one never knows how things are going to turn out.  Ask me again in a few years,  maybe I'll have a better answer then. ;)

Stephanie

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 04:49:32 PM »
Jon and I will probably move back to the states in a couple of years. It's not something we like to talk about at the moment because both of us really really want to move back, yet we can't afford it. Jon actually wants to move there more than I do!!

We've really just planned on moving there and then trying to get work. I'm sure I'll have no problem with it, Jon might have a hard time, being the IT business is so saturated at the moment (in Phoenix, at least).

It might not be so bad though, the experience I'm getting here will do quite well back home. Even if I'm only in admin. And I'm sure I'll have no trouble getting a job once they see UK on my resume.  ;D
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2003, 11:57:24 AM »
My husband and I are moving back June 27, 2003.  

We applied for a marriage-based green card through the US Embassy in London.  Had no problems and he now has his green card.  It took about 8 months but it can go quicker if you turn the forms in sooner.  We took our time.  

Once my husband had his green card, he requested a transfer within his company and they agreed.  His employer is covering the cost of the move, which is a great help.  

So far everything is going has planned.  We have been pre-approved for a mortgage so as soon as we get there we can start looking for a house.  My husband lived in America 3 years ago and had an excellent credit rating so it was easy to get a pre-approval.

I think getting the green card ourselves was the easiest option.  If you have any questions regarding the process feel free to email me at Stephanie@robson-gb.com.

Stephanie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 08:41:29 PM »
Hi Stephanie,
   I don't mean to be nosy, but I was just wondering if he was approved so quickly because of his job and being able to transfer?  I am going over first next month to file our petition because I am scared it will take 6-12 months and then have to go over first anyway to set up residence again? What do you think?

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 10:33:14 PM »
I always find this subject fascinating if only because its something I've been dealing with off and on for almost thirty years now having moved back and forth permanently and more than a few times temporarily. Having a British spouse only adds to the anxiety involved with the decision. What I do know from personal experience is that the mind has a funny way of playing tricks with us all sometimes ,convincing us that the grass is always greener elsewhere especially in a place that holds memories. Sometimes it manifests from a single thought ,season change, a holiday, a low moment or any number of things ESPECIALLY if family is involved. Its a natural thing, and we all do it from time to time. Sometimes its economic reasons, or sometimes just plain old homesickness which everone's entitled to now and then. Other factors like age,children,social life,opportunity and a million other things which could be unique to only your individual circumstances come into play too. Whatever the reasons,for some its a life altering decision and some are better equipped to handle those decisions. Its got nothing to do with weakness or a stonger will, its all up to the individual. What helps is support ,compassion for yourself as well as those also affected, and an understanding that life constantly changes and that the variables that that put us in the position of making these decisions constantly change too. Its a huge decision to leave whats familiar for parts unknown and the would haves,should haves and could haves are never far away, I realy think thats part of human nature and I try not to beat myself up over it. I think everyone who's wrestled with these decisions and took that leap should be commended, it takes guts and a will to be happy to do it but its almost never easy.
Right........off my soapbox I go :)

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2003, 02:47:12 AM »
Just a twist on this repatriation issue:  Do you guys think that once you get back to the states you'll wish you didn't?  I don't mean to say that you will, I'm just wondering.  My dh and I are moving to N.I. in approx. 6 mos. and we always say we'll give it a year.  But what I want to know is, what is it that you're feeling inside that makes you want to go back for good?  I mean, I know there must be major homesickness, but weren't there things that you wanted to leave behind in the US that were better in UK that will be hard to just leave behind?  

For us, moving to the UK was never meant to be a permanent move - we're both Americans, this move is career-driven.  I still consider the US my home and probably always will, no matter where we live.

Stephanie

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2003, 11:22:58 AM »
Never.  Not ever.
I love it here farrrrr too much!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2003, 12:06:32 PM »
I am not expert but in my case it was a marriage-based green card (the I-130 application).  His job had no bearing on our application at all.  Because I was already in the UK DCF filing was the quickest way.  When you file though the INS offices in the USA it can be a longer process.  I used a co-sponsor for the Affidavit of Support since I was not a current US resident.  We had a straight forward case.  

Check the these website for more info.

newcomer link: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/ [nonactive]

newcomer link: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=alt.visa.us.marriage-based [nonactive]

newcomer link: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2806/ [nonactive]

newcomer link: http://www.angelfire.com/wa/130timeline/ [nonactive]

I hope I did not confuse you.  

Stephanie

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 02:18:03 PM »
Stephanie, Thanks for replying.  I've actually been on most of the websites. It just sounds like we'd be here atleast 6 more months waiting and due to certain people not having their tax returns(mother) and others not bothering to file their taxes at all(brother in law) , I think we'd have a hard time with the co-sponsor part. That is why we are going to try for the k4 visa which should allow him to move over and await the approval of the petition. But this k4 can only be applied for from within the US and can take at the most 4 months.  I hope you didn't mind my asking. I am just really worried as to whether we are doing the right thing with sending me over first. I always think there must be some way around immigration that I haven't stumbled on to. I do worry alot, just ask my husband ::)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 02:23:07 PM »
To complicate things even more, the company my husband is contracting with at the moment has an office in Naperville, IL. His boss talked him in to applying for a job in IL.  :o
 So he's been emailing back and forth and has had one telephone interview that went really well.  We'll just have to wait and see if they want to file for a visa for him and whether that would be approved.  AND if we can get any sort of answer before we are supposed to leave the middle of June.
Would be great if it was though. I don't want to be away from my man. :'(

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 02:54:29 PM »
kcg - to answer your question... I don't know. The reason I moved to the UK is because DAvid is English, he lived here, he had a much better job thatn me that he couldn't easily leave, whereas mine were pretty leavable, and it was the only practical way to live together, end the long-distance relationship, and start our life together. I do think that when we move to the US I'll be sad about it. I'll want to be back in England. But that's not always the case, sometimes I really really want to be in the US for a house, value for money, my family, schools, big yard, etc...

So since our hearts go back and forth and back and forth, we've decided to follow our heads instead. They both say America. The MAIN reason is his job. He needs to leace the job he has right now, it sucks the life out of him. He works 6 days a week 12 hours a day and his company moves him around the world or country on a whim, and atleast every 6 months or so. We can't have this job and have a stable home life. SO... he looks for a new job. And that's when America comes into play, he *can't* get a job right now in England doing waht he does or lose to what he does, unless he wants to continue travelling and having to work overtime jsut to make ends meet. In America the job market is so much better, and he has the potential to do what he does during a 40 hour week, actually having weekends to spend with me, and having time to spend with the family we want to create.

I don't want to leave England, I love it here, but to realize our goals: stable home life, him being around for his future children, us earning enough money to blow our noses, having a social life.... we have to change jobs and that's got to be in America.

Celtictothecore, your post really hit home with me, it's so so true. My heart is torn all the time about what to do, what to do. I try to relax about it and just enjoy what we have now, but it's difficult to enjoy it when his current job just sucks us dry.

At the end of the day I'll be happy wherever we are, and I know it. I'll be with him, we'll be trying for a family, and we'll have family no matter where we are. We are looking for a job for him in both countries, but it'sa hopeless cause in England sadly.

We've decided to adopt a 5 year plan. By moving to America we aren't binding ourselves there for life. We'll move there, give it 5 years, and if we decide we'd rather live in England, then we make the move to do that.

Assuming of course he ever gets a new job.... blah blah blah...

Have I rambled on long enough yet? Driven anyone insane? :D :D :D Thanks for letting me vent... (Again)...  
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2003, 03:42:19 PM »
To gina_r....

We are moving to Naperville, IL.  Very weird.  Good luck with the visa.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2003, 03:50:28 PM »
He works 6 days a week 12 hours a day and his company moves him around the world or country on a whim, and atleast every 6 months or so.

Welcome to my life....except the moving around part.....funny how I want to get to the UK just to have some holiday time.  Two weeks is bad and I am just so tired all the time...kids?  Can't even think about it right now...don't have time for our dogs.  :-/ I make more than my husband and we both work long hours with hour commutes.... you must not be planning on moving back to a big city like the ATL.  We have no life. My big yard takes the Sunday I have off.

Poor poor me... ;D Hee Hee.   I'll stop now...

But one thing I can say is this...if you want it in the USA you can find it.. the right job, the right schools, the right city or town.  Realy that's what it it about finding the right fit for your life at the time.  We change through the years, so it's logical that where we want to lay our hat will too.

When I live outside the USA, I miss it to pieces...a few years back and I am ready to leave again.

Interesting how true Celtic's message is about why each person moves and how it's individual.  My DH and I will try the UK too, but all of you are so right in knowing that you can always move back.  Try it you might like it.   ;)

The wiring in our brain is not static, not irrevocably fixed.  Our brains are adaptable. -Mattieu Ricard

Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn. -Benjamin Franklin

I have long since come to believe that people never mean half of what they say, and that it is best to disregard their talk and judge only their actions. -D.Day

Sponsored Links