Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Temporary NI# number...  (Read 2362 times)

• Liked: 0
Temporary NI# number...
« on: November 16, 2004, 12:56:37 PM »
Does anyone know how long temporay means? Do I get in some kind of trouble if I don't apply for a perm. one before a certain date? (i.e. 6 months after you are issued a work visa, 1 year, etc)I just got an unmarried partner visa last tuesday and am jumping at the bit to work...but I am dreading another hideous government process to obtain my perm number. I can start a new job next week, I just need to know if I can work for a while on a temp one to prepare for the next process, and just how long I have to prepare.

Thanks!!

• Liked: 24
Re: Temporary NI# number...
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 01:04:23 PM »
I split this into a separate topic for you as it was't related to the Child Tax credit, and it will get more exposure on it's own.

I'm not sure about how long you have, but I do believe that you will be paying a higher tax rate on a temporary number, so it's in your own financial interests to get it done as soon as possible. Congrats on your visa! :) I can't blame you for dreading another application process.

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 01:07:17 PM »
It looks like you are expected to apply as soon as you start a job:

When Do I Apply For A NI Number?

No one has a legal right to a NI number but there are circumstances you are legally obliged to formally apply for one and to register for NI purposes.

Criteria for applying for a NI number

If you do not already have a NI number you must apply for one as soon as you start work or you or your partner claims benefit.
You must be over 16 years old and resident in Great Britain.
If you satisfy all the above conditions except for being resident in GB, and you still want to apply for a number, you must be liable to pay NI contributions or want to pay voluntary contributions and would benefit from doing so.

Providing you satisfy these conditions, you should contact your nearest Social Security office (This is a link to the DWP (formerly DSS) website) and ask for an appointment to be interviewed for a NI number.

At the interview you will need to be able to prove your identity.

You can find out information about the types of documents you should provide to help establish your identity in leaflet GL25 available from any Social Security office (This is a link to the DWP (formerly DSS) website).

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 02:48:11 PM »
You should apply for one as soon as possible.  If you're working on a temporary NIN, they'll be taxing you to the hilt.  As a result, once you do apply for your permanent NIN, you'll have more headache trying to sort out your back taxes (unless your employer will sort it for you).  Just go ahead and make your appointment now! 

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 08:52:25 PM »
I'm so bad and since paying higher taxes, not too bright either...I transferred over here with my company a year ago and still am using a temporary number.  The problem is that whenever I phone the place I'm supposed to schedule my interview, the line is ALWAYS busy!  I guess I'll need to get my bum over there! :-[  Did pay my taxes and get a refund though
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 10:02:34 PM »
I'd go out and get one as soon as I could, if I were you. You'll be paying really high taxes with a temporary NIN (they call it emergency tax). You'd be better off getting a number and it's not so bad as people think.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Sell crazy somewhere else, we're stocked up here
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 11:49:08 AM »
Is it true that a temporary national insurance number is just TN, your birthdate, and either F for female or M for male... so for example TN060780F????

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 11:51:22 AM »
Is it true that a temporary national insurance number is just TN, your birthdate, and either F for female or M for male... so for example TN060780F????

I am pretty sure that was what mine was.  Your place of employment will know to do this though.

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 11:57:28 AM »
see, dh and i both think the amount that's getting taken out of my check isn't high at all as far as NI wise (i'm still on a temp until i get my number-filed application and interview a few weeks ago).

And try and try to get through.  it took me 45 min of contstant calling (hit redial!) to get through to book my appointment.

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 12:32:30 PM »
see, dh and i both think the amount that's getting taken out of my check isn't high at all as far as NI wise (i'm still on a temp until i get my number-filed application and interview a few weeks ago).

And try and try to get through. it took me 45 min of contstant calling (hit redial!) to get through to book my appointment.

Yeah I don't think they took out much from me at first either.  Something about how they take out less at first and then gradually more and more each time.  No idea why!?

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2004, 12:55:19 PM »
And try and try to get through. it took me 45 min of contstant calling (hit redial!) to get through to book my appointment.

I went down to my local DSS office. They took my name and number and told me they'd have someone give me a ring. I got the call a couple days later and my appointment was made about 2 weeks after that. I got my card about a month later, I think.

There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• Liked: 8
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 01:16:05 PM »
They take out less at first because you get so much of a tax-free allowance (like maybe the first £5000 or something?  I don't know the exact figure.).  Once you've earned that, they start taxing you a lot more!

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 02:33:09 PM »
They take out less at first because you get so much of a tax-free allowance (like maybe the first £5000 or something? I don't know the exact figure.). Once you've earned that, they start taxing you a lot more!

ah, good to know!  Thank you Lola!!!

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 04:42:42 PM »
oh crap.

hurry and come #!

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2004, 04:44:23 PM »
Don't worry!  It will!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab