Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...  (Read 5081 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Genuinely feeling like I'm drowning at this point...
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 01:31:51 PM »
I HATE HATE HATE the "but it's cheaper than medical insurance in the US" argument.  We don't live in the US.  They two systems should not be compared.  It is 100% unfair that I pay a HUGE chunk of taxes, carry private insurance, still have to pay out of pocket for my skin exams (I've had two melanomas), AND pay the NHS levy.

And we won't even get started on having to pay in THIRTY YEARS to get a basic state pension in the UK.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
Do you really have to pay social security if you aren't a US citizen? Never knew that! I assumed you would be exempt because you wouldn't have a social security number as a non-citizen so that's quite interesting actually [although I could totally be wrong about whether or not you'd have a SSN because I didn't look into that side of things for my husband].

I'm not a US citizen but I have a SSN - I lived in the US for 8 months as a grad student and in order to get paid for my TA/RA work, I had to apply for a SSN. I haven't lived in the US in 8 years but I will have my US SSN for life.

I assumed that everyone who works in the US has to pay social security - and there are many non-US citizens working in the US on visas - I've always assumed it was the same as in the UK... Everyone who works here pays income tax and NI contributions, regardless of citizenship.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »
Well one thing you can do is educate those around you. There are so many misconceptions. For instance, many believe that people just move here and "sign on to benefits". We know that this is not reality for FLR folk.

Many think of us all....asylum seekers....EU migrants....all of us, as being here under the same conditions. It's understandable.....I've never seen the media make an effort to break it down. And this is also understandable....it's a dry topic.

But if you are at a party or family gathering and it comes up, you can mention that there are different kinds of immigrants. You don't have to wave the red flag like me.

Oh i couldn't agree more with that! There have been many occasions that I've had to break it down for people about what I do/don't have to do to be in this country etc. Was talking about it with my colleagues just today as I was working from home yesterday to sort out some of my visa stuff [had to run some errands for it during my lunch break] and they honestly thought it was as simple as just being married to a brit. I was asked what happen next with my visa and what I do if it doesn't get approved and one of my colleagues who is a Spanish immigrant said "Surely they can't separate you! You're married!" I was like they absolutely can! They then asked me questions about the process and I think you are right that there isn't a lot of understanding around the different ways you can immigrate as well as the processes that go along with it, but you are right about it being a dry topic and it's easier to just assume the process is the same for everybody I guess when in actuality it isn't. I felt like there were soooo many times at gatherings I've had to re-hash this information to people. Or I get the "immigrants coming to this country are all blahblahblah....oh! but...like..not you or anything!..." It just gets tiring sometimes lol.

I HATE HATE HATE the "but it's cheaper than medical insurance in the US" argument.  We don't live in the US.  They two systems should not be compared.  It is 100% unfair that I pay a HUGE chunk of taxes, carry private insurance, still have to pay out of pocket for my skin exams (I've had two melanomas), AND pay the NHS levy.

And we won't even get started on having to pay in THIRTY YEARS to get a basic state pension in the UK.

I guess for me that argument is "yeah, I get that....but I don't live in the US" as you said. If everybdy (citizens, other immigrants, etc.) were all paying this "medical insurance" or whatever, then sure, I guess it's fair. But to me that's basically saying I don't have free healthcare (unless I'm misunderstanding some of the arguments?). I have a fair amount of gripes about the US and I'm definitely not trying to say that all the problems are here and none are in the US, I just personally think it's unfair to say "x-group of immigrants will pay an additional healthcare surcharge but y-group won't and the consolation is that you'd probably pay more in the US" (not that I feel like this is what people in this thread are trying to say - I mean more of the argument in general). I know I'm being picky about just how it's named, but it just feels like another way to get money that I don't think is necessarily justified [because of the fact that we already are taxed a fair amount and nobody else is expected to pay additional!). UGH with the taxes, I full on never expect to actually get a pension and I've made my peace with that (in neither the US nor the UK hahaha). Like I said, it's just me venting like a baby but the more I speak with others about it (several of which are immigrants from within the EU and don't understand the massive process I have to go through) it just gets me fired back up - which I guess is just allowing me to stress when I shouldn't because I can't do anything any ways.

I assumed that everyone who works in the US has to pay social security - and there are many non-US citizens working in the US on visas - I've always assumed it was the same as in the UK... Everyone who works here pays income tax and NI contributions, regardless of citizenship.

Thanks for confirming! As I mentioned, that's really interesting as I didn't realise that! I guess it's comparable to like an NIN here?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 533
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 02:50:39 PM »
Or I get the "immigrants coming to this country are all blahblahblah....oh! but...like..not you or anything!..." It just gets tiring sometimes lol.

Sometimes now I just say, "My mother was Welsh".
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »
Sometimes now I just say, "My mother was Welsh".

Luckily it doesn't tend to be people I'm actually friends with saying these types of things so I just do a massive eye roll and let them carry on believing what they will haha
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
I guess for me that argument is "yeah, I get that....but I don't live in the US" as you said. If everybdy (citizens, other immigrants, etc.) were all paying this "medical insurance" or whatever, then sure, I guess it's fair. But to me that's basically saying I don't have free healthcare (unless I'm misunderstanding some of the arguments?). I have a fair amount of gripes about the US and I'm definitely not trying to say that all the problems are here and none are in the US, I just personally think it's unfair to say "x-group of immigrants will pay an additional healthcare surcharge but y-group won't and the consolation is that you'd probably pay more in the US" (not that I feel like this is what people in this thread are trying to say - I mean more of the argument in general). I know I'm being picky about just how it's named, but it just feels like another way to get money that I don't think is necessarily justified [because of the fact that we already are taxed a fair amount and nobody else is expected to pay additional!). UGH with the taxes, I full on never expect to actually get a pension and I've made my peace with that (in neither the US nor the UK hahaha). Like I said, it's just me venting like a baby but the more I speak with others about it (several of which are immigrants from within the EU and don't understand the massive process I have to go through) it just gets me fired back up - which I guess is just allowing me to stress when I shouldn't because I can't do anything any ways.

Deleted because honestly, the only reason I'm even responding to this is because I'm bored and my husband would remind me that there is no point in having an argument on the internet.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:43:37 PM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Deleted because honestly, the only reason I'm even responding to this is because I'm bored.

I read your original comment and I guess it's just an agree to disagree situation. I'm sorry if you felt like this was an unnecessary post or if I've been offensive or something. Was literally just trying to vent my frustration in the moment as I thought this was the appropriate place to do so. Did not intend to bother people.
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 223
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »
I read your original comment and I guess it's just an agree to disagree situation. I'm sorry if you felt like this was an unnecessary post or if I've been offensive or something. Was literally just trying to vent my frustration in the moment as I thought this was the appropriate place to do so. Did not intend to bother people.

That exactly what the airing cupboard is for - venting frustration!  [smiley=smash.gif]
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

• Liked: 537
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »

It is the place to vent and everyone needs to b*tch sometimes or we would all go mad. The IHS fee has really pissed off every single person who knew a time when it didn't exist since we first discussed it early last year. (I may not have made any comments, but I followed that thread closely)

I forget, sometimes people just want to have a good vent/moan about it without anyone adding in their two cents or suggestions. It always ticked me off when my mom would do it on the times I've just wanted to complain.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 04:22:47 PM »
It is the place to vent and everyone needs to b*tch sometimes or we would all go mad. The IHS fee has really pissed off every single person who knew a time when it didn't exist since we first discussed it early last year. (I may not have made any comments, but I followed that thread closely)

I forget, sometimes people just want to have a good vent/moan about it without anyone adding in their two cents or suggestions. It always ticked me off when my mom would do it on the times I've just wanted to complain.

Just felt bad as I felt like maybe I was just being overly whine-y about it but at the time it just felt like a massive punch in the gut. I had originally looked at the end of last year and I let the updates on it slip from me as we had just bought a house as well as trying to get my old student loans sorted out (as they got transferred to a new loan company) so it felt like just one more thing to add onto the stress. I totally enjoy everybody putting their two cents in even if I don't necessarily agree (I actually learned a bit more about things in the US immigration process! lol) :) Was just hoping I wasn't misunderstood or anything where people thought I was saying the US immigration process (or any other) were easier because I totally doubt that's true. I just needed to get this one out of my system in a place where other people had gone through it as I don't really know many others who have experienced that same frustration. I'm definitely guilty of trying to offer resolutions where people just want to have a good moan myself. To be fair, I didn't realise there was already a discussion about this happening as this is the first time I've logged into my account on here in ages if I'm honest  :-[ (as I needed some help with this renewal) so sorry if this post was a bit repetitive, totally my bad!  :-\\\\
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 149
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »
If it makes you feel any better.....I didn't golf very well today....... ;D
Fred

« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »
The thing is....these arguments are in a way superfluous. The NHS faces serious challenges - not the least, I believe, as do many others, that the Tories are hell bent on denationalisation.

And even if it continues on as a social programme, it is expensive, large to the point of ungainliness and focused on delivering steady levels of service targeted to fast-changing demand. It is not easy. It never will be. And it's not cheap.

But the ills of the NHS will not be solved, even to a small degree, by this silly, xenophobic surcharge. It accomplishes nothing, and detracts from the real situation -  that the NHS has been systematically underfunded and run for the benefit of well-connected contractors.

I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 149
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 05:38:59 PM »
And......while the Cons are doing away with the NHS......once the crap hits the fan, the people in power now will be gone.
Fred

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
If it makes you feel any better.....I didn't golf very well today....... ;D

Hahahah I think I tried a driving range maybe once throughout my life. I was so crap, I never bothered to try again! I stick with mini golf thanks! Hah
My, how time flies....

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
You play golf in the rain?

Sponsored Links