Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How can I affford anything in the UK?  (Read 1423 times)

• Liked: 0
How can I affford anything in the UK?
« on: November 17, 2004, 02:11:22 PM »
My fiance and I are thinking of moving to the UK within the next two years. I am American he is Swedish, and we live in Stockholm, Sweden. I've been here 4.5 years and have both US and Swedish citizenship so a move to the UK wouldn't be a problem with working and residing there. What I wonder is how in the world to afford any kind of apartment there? I have been looking at online sites and it seems that no matter where I look everything seems really expensive. Is there anything affordable in the UK that still has availability of jobs? I know that rent costs more in the UK than in Stockholm, but income tax is lower and so is sales tax as well as other taxes and fees. Salaries are also higher than in Sweden. It should cost us LESS to live there yet I am in shock and panic over the prices. Is it possible to buy a 1-2 bedroom apartment in a normal city without paying an arm and a leg?

Does anyone have a suggestion? The southern parts of England seem more pricey so we are looking for areas in the middle, west, north but we are of course open to suggestions.
I'm an American (with dual citizenship) living in Stockholm, Sweden for almost 6 years.

My Swede and I are looking towards a future move to the UK.

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: How can I affford anything in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:59:21 PM »
What kind of jobs do you and your fiance intend to do? That could well dictate where you need to look for work and, consequently, a home. As a general rule, the further north you go, the cheaper things are as a whole.

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 03:38:46 PM »
He works in the IT sector, and I work as a Kindergarten teacher. Judging from what I have seen online though it seems that I might make more in the UK working as a Secretary.
I'm an American (with dual citizenship) living in Stockholm, Sweden for almost 6 years.

My Swede and I are looking towards a future move to the UK.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 03:48:17 PM »
Is it possible to buy a 1-2 bedroom apartment in a normal city without paying an arm and a leg?

in short...not really.

sorry to sound grim, but uk and london/south east is unbelievably expensive. i'm less clear on cities up north, but have heard really good things about Leeds, in particular, so maybe that would be a place to checkout. In addition, it might be worth renting for 6 months to earn a bit of extra 'english wages' before going to buy. this could help you save up a bit more but also determine where you would want to settle. your background sounds quite interesting and 'global' so would you really, for example, be happy in a smaller, less cosmopolitan city? etc... you get my point....

oh yes - the good news. apparerently house prices are falling. maybe others would disagree, but that's what it seems like. i also know that at the moment rental prices are going down which means you could find a temporary bargain. (it also means if you do rent, haggle with your prospective landlords!)

good luck
mimsy2000

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 04:19:21 PM »
Things are definitely cheaper up north.  We're in Newcastle upon Tyne and, though things are more expensive than in the US, they're definitely cheaper than down south.  The job market is pretty good here and you guys kinda sound like us--DH is in Journalism/IT and I'm a former teacher (working as a secretary at the moment!).   ;D

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 04:22:25 PM »
Leeds may be a good place to consider. Didn't someone post elsewhere that it has a good IT/Software industry?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• azroomie & james
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 04:51:56 PM »
very expensive.. we have  a house  that is  probabaly the same  price a house  would be in  AZ  where I am from.. but this place  was a MAJOR fixer- upper..and I don't have the patience  for it!!.. I also know  that the rooms would be bigger in the states..and obviously much newer and reliable..
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Muy loco!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 06:13:49 PM »
Newcastle is definitely a good choice.  My niece rents a great flat in the city centre - 2 bedrooms, eat in kitchen, big living room, bathroom - for £450/month.  She is within walking distance to everything and lives in a fantastic location.  The IT industry is really growing in Newcastle too.  We're spending this weekend there and I can't wait to hit the food hall at Fenwick!
I'm sorry.  I'm just not cool.

Sponsored Links